Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2013 1:37:03 PM EDT
This is more or less a rant... because I just got home after being laid off for the 3rd time in 6 years today!

Apparently, my momentous, life-changing events are triggers for employers to start dumping people by the hundreds.

The first time I got laid off I had just moved in to my own place for the first time in 2007 and I struggled to pay rent after being out of work for 2 months.
Second time was in 2009 and I had just bought my first new car, which I had to sell at a loss because I was out of work for four months that time...
And now it's happened again, with my first child on the way (due in November) and my pregnant wife is currently unemployed because she got laid off back in early June also. Go us!

We had planned on buying a house next year, so we have a sizable cash cushion under our belts for the first time, but it's really going to set us back if we have to start burning through our down payment money that it took us nearly three years to build up.

Anyways, my growing family and I could really use some thoughts and prayers for financial stability and a quick turnaround on this.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

I think it might be time to consider another profession?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

I think it might be time to consider another profession?

Definitely! I work in retail management and I want to get out of the industry badly, but it's hard to find something else when that's all you've done for the last 8 years and you have non-specific degrees and no marketable trade skills.

I'm going to try to pick up something quick for a short term solution, and really push hard for entry-level jobs in something like wholesale or manufacturing. I'm ok with starting from scratch as long as it will still adequately provide for us until I am able to work my way back in to management.

My wife is eager to get back to work also, but she will only be able to work part-time and nobody wants to hire her until after she has the baby anyways.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sad to hear this - wish I could turn you on to something new for work, but all I know is what goes on up here in the Prescott area.

What happened over there? I know where you worked, but don't want to broadcast it. Just interested if the company is in trouble or something.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sad to hear this - wish I could turn you on to something new for work, but all I know is what goes on up here in the Prescott area.

What happened over there? I know where you worked, but don't want to broadcast it. Just interested if the company is in trouble or something.

Thanks Rizzo. I sent you a message. I'm not allowed to discuss details.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm located in the southern Chandler/Gilbert border area.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the feeling. I was let go with almost no notice back in June while working out of state on location... They still haven't paid me my last paycheck or the tool fee for that job ($2400 total). This was right after I took out a big loan on an engagement ring and moved in with my fiancée and her kid. Third time in two years I've been "downsized" out of a small business. Got hired on at a call center today just so I can get some cash coming in. Going from being the Director of Marketing or the Director of Photography to selling anything not bolted down and taking any job you can get is humbling, but sometimes life has to kick you in the teeth to make you appreciate the good times. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
outkast

check into Gore. they are opening a new location in north Phx.
might be a drive from the east valley but it could be work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Quoted:
I know the feeling. I was let go with almost no notice back in June while working out of state on location... They still haven't paid me my last paycheck or the tool fee for that job ($2400 total). This was right after I took out a big loan on an engagement ring and moved in with my fiancée and her kid. Third time in two years I've been "downsized" out of a small business. Got hired on at a call center today just so I can get some cash coming in. Going from being the Director of Marketing or the Director of Photography to selling anything not bolted down and taking any job you can get is humbling, but sometimes life has to kick you in the teeth to make you appreciate the good times. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

Yes it certainly makes you realize how good you had it and also how much worse it could really be. Sorry to hear about your shitty luck also but I send my best wishes to you and your family.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]
been there done that...it sucks no way around that. However, it does not end with the suck.....
You are being "forced" to hit the reset button, embrace that. Take a few days and let the emotions chill out, hug you wife and cherish the future of your life and child to come. This is truly a magical time that will never be repeated in your life.
Find what you WANT to do. This does not have to be huge, I know several people that want to work for others and draw a steady check of "X" dollars. You were smart and built a nest egg, use it and don't worry about replenishing it yet. No matter what stay positive, and create your new life

This simple phrase has gotten me through a lot in life...
"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

Best of luck
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
been there done that...it sucks no way around that. However, it does not end with the suck.....
You are being "forced" to hit the reset button, embrace that. Take a few days and let the emotions chill out, hug you wife and cherish the future of your life and child to come. This is truly a magical time that will never be repeated in your life.
Find what you WANT to do. This does not have to be huge, I know several people that want to work for others and draw a steady check of "X" dollars. You were smart and built a nest egg, use it and don't worry about replenishing it yet. No matter what stay positive, and create your new life

This simple phrase has gotten me through a lot in life...
"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

Best of luck

Great advice, thank you. I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Any prior military/contract experience?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, unfortunately I went straight to college out of high school and never enlisted.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep your head up.  I have been lucky enough to always be the one to quit, rather than get laid off.  But it even sucked when I did that on short notice.  I do feel for people who get laid off and really appreciate the struggle they have to endure.

The advice to restart your life on something you want to do is dead on.  I want to restart myself, but am trapped in a golden prison (make good money, have a house, job is easy).  Take this time to really think what you want to do and go for it.  My wife restarted her by going back to school and becoming a school teacher.  She wasn't appreciated in what she did (para-educator, aka teacher's assistant) and felt she could do better (and she does). It's been 5 years of hard work (she got 2 BAs and an MA) , but I do believe she is much happier with a career rather than just a job.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I work in the same building that gore has in north phx. it is a nice building and if you are coming from the east valley traffic isn't too bad on the drive in. we had a guy that lived in maricopa that would make the drive

Quoted:
outkast

check into Gore. they are opening a new location in north Phx.
might be a drive from the east valley but it could be work.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey bro, my work is hiring, if your interested in driving mental health patients around? Pay isn't great, but it's a steady 40 hours a week. It's something til you get your feet under you. IM me if interested, working with mental health patients isn't for everyone, I understand.

And it's east valley work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I just sent you a lead via if you are interested. Seems like it would be a good fit.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the club!  Yeah...it's a shitty club.    I got laid off in April due to a company "reorg" which was necessary largely because they ignored my advice to NOT move forward with a major software implementation that ended up costing the company close to a million dollars in lost revenue.  Yeah -- and I was the one who got cut.  

After two months of being buffeted between the gauntlet of automated HRIS resume screening software and recruiters that were more interested in meeting quotas for contacting people than they were actually finding jobs for candidates, I decided to file my Article of Organization to form my own LLC and have gone into business as a consultant.  I decided it was the best way to leverage the network of professional and personal contacts I have and so far I'm finding enough work to get by.  Hopefully it will allow me to build my resume and reputation to launch a more lucrative and stable career going forward.

Jason gave you some really solid advice above.  If you're at a dead end and your prospects are bleak, then it's time to say "fuck it" and go for broke.  It DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU CURRENTLY ARE.  Figure out what you're good at, what you enjoy doing, and what drives you.  Then make a plan to get to where you want to go.  Obviously, with bills to pay and a family to support it must be a responsible plan that allows you to keep a roof over your head, but do NOT let that stop you from committing to a new direction right the fuck now.  You, me, and everyone else has a talent or skill that we're really good at.  Figure out what that is and then become a wicked ninja-witch-rain-man-savant at that skill and eventually you will get paid well to do what you're doing.  The bonus is you're likely to enjoy the work you do because you're following something for which you have a passion.  

Carpe-fuckin-diem, dude.  Turn this negative around and make it the best thing that ever happened to you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
This 20 minute lecture by a guy name Simon Sinek really helped me change my perspective from that of an out of work schlep looking for a job to a person in control of my own destiny.  Find your "why".

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
If you can work lon g shitty hours Frito lay is hiring.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I know we are hiring one or two line folks as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the kind words and leads everyone!

I have a few places to start looking for something to get us by for now, and also the inspiration I needed to finally get out of the industry for good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like you have the right attitude, KEEP IT.
Don't get me wrong, our path was "bumpy" to say the least...
Lost my house, harleys, had to sell my truck and drive a POS beater worse then my car in high school for a while. Hell we even took the gamble of no health insurance for about 2 years with 2 young boys. Lots of stress a little arguing and 1000 people telling me to go "backwards". We pushed through and are far from back to where we were financially, but we are finally stable after 5 years and no BS...mentally and as a family we are better off in ways words cannot express.
Fight for your dreams and they are that much more fulfilling to achieve
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
if you really need a job...we're always hiring. Pay sucks, hours suck, job sucks, but someone has to do it.

http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/employment/ADCCareers.aspx
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I know of a growing sign company that is hiring for several positions, including management.  I'd be happy to pass on contact info.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am former active duty military
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top