Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:41:56 AM EDT
Good on Oregon.
I also heard that Washington'e pretend libtard goobener is "looking into" it.

Oregon will shelter 1,000 people from disaster zone

SHAWN DAY and CRYSTAL BOLNER
Statesman Journal

September 4, 2005

Salem-area residents offered to feed and shelter people fleeing the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, although it remained unclear Saturday when evacuees would arrive in Oregon -- or where they would be housed.

By twilight, firefighters could be seen milling around inside the former Washington High School building in southeast Portland, one of several sites mentioned as temporary housing for victims of Hurricane Katrina, the powerful Category 4 storm that leveled parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama last week.

"We're not wealthy, but by golly, we'll do everything we can to take care of them and get them back on their feet every way that we can," said Gary Dunsworth, a West Salem man who offered to share his home.

"This is catastrophic for these people, and their life as they know it is probably over," Dunsworth said. "It's up to us to step up and help take care of them."

One day after Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski agreed to welcome as many as 1,000 displaced Gulf Coast residents, state officials spent much of Saturday coordinating supplies and accommodations, and they implored Oregonians to give money to relief groups rather than cold-calling to offer their homes as shelter.

"I know Oregonians want to help our fellow citizens coming to our state -- and as soon as we have details about specific supply needs, we will make sure there is a central clearinghouse for such needs and ways to donate," Kulongoski said Saturday in a written statement.

"At this time, the best help we can offer as individuals remains financial support to the Red Cross and other relief organizations that have the experience, are the best positioned to provide assistance, and need our continued support to be successful in their relief efforts."

State officials also were working on a system to link prospective host families with evacuees, despite lacking specific information regarding the group's arrival, said Holly Armstrong, a spokeswoman for Kulongoski.

"We have no concrete details, other than yes, there are 1,000 people coming," she said.

Officials wanted to make sure all arrangements were in place before the evacuees arrived, Armstrong said.

"It's bad enough to lose your home and family and loved ones and community to a hurricane," she said. "We don't want to bring them in and have them sitting on a tarmac somewhere."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's decision to send 1,000 evacuees to Oregon was an exception to its announcement Saturday that it planned to keep displaced residents in the Southeast. Offers to house thousands of hurricane victims in Iowa, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and South Carolina were turned down because they were not contiguous to Louisiana, according to a report in the Des Moines (Iowa) Register.

Meanwhile in Salem, city manager Bob Wells said the city plans to find housing for small groups of evacuees by working with the American Red Cross, the faith community and Marion and Polk county commissioners.

"We don't really have facilities in Salem that could handle a lot of people coming here," Wells said, noting that the state fairgrounds and armory were unavailable.

"At some point people are going to need permanent housing," he said. "Everything's still in flux. We just want to be prepared for when we do get good information, we can react quickly and help people out."

South Salem resident Laurie McDonald said opening her home was the only realistic way she could help people displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

"We don't have any money to be able to donate," she said. "It's devastating, and if I can help out this way, then so be it. My kids are all for it."

At a northeast Portland car wash Saturday, 20-year-old Aminah Leary said she thinks it's great that some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina will be brought to Oregon.

"Anything that we can do to help is what we should be doing," Leary said. "It would have been nice to do it sooner."

Leary said some of her relatives lived in Picayune and Gulfport, Miss., and in New Orleans. They evacuated and are trying to rebuild their lives by gathering finances and supplies to return to their homes, she said.

She seemed frustrated that more wasn't done to prepare before the storm.

"Why couldn't we have come together before the catastrophe instead of eight days later?" she said.

Jay Held, 43, a professor of pastoral theology at Multnomah Bible College in Portland, said his wife, Laureen, has used her business contacts to collect canned food for the victims of Katrina.

"I'm really supportive of the National Guard going down there," Held said.

"Emotionally, it's devastating. My reaction, seeing the pictures on television, was a feeling of being overwhelmed. I also felt disgust because of the looting and the shooting of people trying to help."

As a father of four children, Held said he empathized with parents who were separated from their children during the storm and its aftermath.

Deney Rodriguez, 24, wished he could help firsthand in Mississippi or Louisiana. But the 24-year-old Keizer man felt strongly about helping hurricane victims who were evacuated to Oregon.

"We need to come together as a country," Rodriguez said. "This is hitting home. We need to come together and help out as much as we can."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:34:07 AM EDT

"We're not wealthy, but by golly, we'll do everything we can to take care of them and get them back on their feet every way that we can," said Gary Dunsworth, a West Salem man who offered to share his home.

See if he is saying that a year from now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
Why not just build section eight housing in Death Valley, Ca? Makes as much sense as re-building NOLA. Anybody who takes these people in is going to be stuck with them for as long as it takes the government to rebuild the Gulf Coast. Years and years. GW said as much by Thursday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:03:20 AM EDT
How long until the bleeding heart liberals open up WA to these people?

Color me cynical, but the stink is similar to Castro opening up the cuban prisons awhile back, and sending them to Florida....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:26:44 AM EDT
WA's quite a distance from LA.......

Good on Salem for opening their doors to those in need.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:32:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Color me cynical, but the stink is similar to Castro opening up the cuban prisons awhile back, and sending them to Florida....

CYNICAL (you asked for it, Srgt. harsh)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

It rains here all of the time!

I'd think that they'd like to go someplace dry.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:57:50 PM EDT
Yeah, Like we more people on the welfare rolls. Let our bleeding hear liberals and the B***h who stole the election absorbe them in Seattle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:14:01 PM EDT
Damn alot of people on these forums are hard on those who just lost everything. Its not like these are people from another country needing help. These are FELLOW AMERICANS. We should be trying to help in everyway that we can.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:50:41 PM EDT
Take a good look at what happened in the Super Dome, Toilets smashed, rapes, a murder, shooting at rescue birds, crack parahenillia wll over the past. Oh yea, we need this element in our society!
Keep bleeding until you get a transfusion but NIMBY!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:51:26 PM EDT
Take a good look at what happened in the Super Dome, Toilets smashed, rapes, a murder, shooting at rescue birds, crack parahenillia wll over the past. Oh yea, we need this element in our society!
Keep bleeding until you get a transfusion but NIMBY!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:09:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:11:01 PM EDT
I saw on TV that Washington is getting 2000.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
I was watching CNN and Dr. Phil was interviewed.
He was helping with the refugees at the Astrodome and in Dallas.
They have no intention of leaving Texas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:26:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KaBar3:
Damn alot of people on these forums are hard on those who just lost everything. Its not like these are people from another country needing help. These are FELLOW AMERICANS. We should be trying to help in everyway that we can.

Yeah, fellow Americans that were most likely living off the government anyhow. Like we need more people here. Traffic's bad enough and taxes, theft, and rape are already high enough. If only the west coast people could see how the south lives, I assume you would see that it's not a good idea to transplant them out here. For one, they're from a hot climate and they move slow. For an example, if they were to get a laborer job, it would be difficult for them to keep it. Their lifestyle back there is a slower pace. They would have a difficult time adjusting to the lifestyle we have here on this coast. There are many factors into transplanting these people that should be taken into consideration. I see a lot of people aren't looking at the big picture.

For the record I have been there and throughout the south & east coast. Most of the cities are shit holes compared to the rest of the country. Personally they can keep their people & shit hole mentality back there.

These are my thoughts exactly and NIMBY. You're sounding like a pretty good cop. How about a beer on me at the next LCR?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:30:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OdT:

What the heck? I thought you would be happy that they are going to be bringing them up here
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:08:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:14:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS_Coyote:

What the heck? I thought you would be happy that they are going to be bringing them up here

Nah, it was the post above mine that eats at me. Folks in need, some of them surely worthy of our help..... well...

Helluva a time to be selfish if you asked me.

The old saying is that a few can ruin it for many. But I think this situation in NO many have ruined it for a few. I agree there are a few folks "surely worthy of our help." But who's going to weed those out?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:29:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:35:45 PM EDT

The old saying is that a few can ruin it for many. But I think this situation in NO many have ruined it for a few. I agree there are a few folks "surely worthy of our help." But who's going to weed those out?

I'd reverse that and say that many have had it ruined by a few (the looters stealing plasma TVs, the morons shooting at the air ambulance, etc are the few who have left bad images in peoples minds.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:58:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

I'd reverse that and say that many have had it ruined by a few (the looters stealing plasma TVs, the morons shooting at the air ambulance, etc are the few who have left bad images in peoples minds.

Phil I'm talking about the way they lived prior to the hurricane. We are talking about people that damn near live 3rd world country style. And now they want to send them all over the good old USofA and infect the rest of the country. I agree they need some help, but they need to want to help them selves in the process. Instead all I hear is they want a free ride. For those that want a free ride I say Fuck'em. But those that are willing to work give them their fair share.

Another thing has anyone thought about all the diseases that these people are going to be bringing to other parts of the country? NO is like a big toilet bowl right now with dead bodies lying around. I hope these people are going to go through a full medical screening before they're transported elsewhere.

Unless you've been to a shit hole like that I don't think we can fathom what's going to be coming out of there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:31:04 PM EDT

Phil I'm talking about the way they lived prior to the hurricane. We are talking about people that damn near live 3rd world country style. And now they want to send them all over the good old USofA and infect the rest of the country. I agree they need some help, but they need to want to help them selves in the process. Instead all I hear is they want a free ride. For those that want a free ride I say Fuck'em. But those that are willing to work give them their fair share.

Another thing has anyone thought about all the diseases that these people are going to be bringing to other parts of the country? NO is like a big toilet bowl right now with dead bodies lying around. I hope these people are going to go through a full medical screening before they're transported elsewhere.

Unless you've been to a shit hole like that I don't think we can fathom what's going to be coming out of there.

Re: your words in red. It goes back to the same thing of a few ruining it for the many. Are you willing to deny many the help because of the comparatively few who want that "free ride"? I believe I stated it in another thread, pull them up to their feet and let them stand on their own then, but I'm good with giving that initial help up onto their feet.

About the diseases, these are relatively minor diseases in minor amounts if they can be gotten out of that mess fast enough, we aren't talking about ebola here, but rather probably at the worst hepatitis A and the Norwalk virus, CDC is saying that cholera and typhoid are not considered to be high risks in the area. Medical screening would be prudent though, both to protect the people in the area these folks will be relocating to and to make sure that any people likely to get sick aren't left on their own to just get sick.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:07:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 3:12:54 AM EDT by gunchyck]

I heard on some news program that right now 70 people a day, are DYING because of Katrina, because they are there, for whatever reason, and they don't have uncontaminated water. Many of these people are the elderly who don't have cars to leave the cities. You have to remember that in large cities, people rely on public transportation. Many people didn't HAVE the resources to evacuate.

Think about if you lived in Seattle and worked 40 blocks from where you lived. Are you going to pay a parking garage rent to keep your car in the city? Are you going to commute to work everyday and pay the $11 a day to park in a lot near work? Hell no. You take the bus. You ditch the car and use public transportation. That's what the non-independently wealthy DO in cities.

At times in our lives we are ALL down and out by circumstances beyond our control and need to ask for help. If we are lucky, we have supportive family and friends to lean on and help us pick up the pieces. Not everyone is that lucky.

RS, I hope that you are never caught in a situation like this where you need to ask for help, compassion and understanding. But if you DO have that misfortune, I hope the people around you are not saying, "Fuck him"or, "sign this release and agree to the conditions and we will rescue you, if not, you can die."

I'd like to think that as a people, America is better than that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:17:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 9:19:32 AM EDT by Cboyer]
Funny, My family is from Fla. And we have been hit by and in fact wiped out by hurricanes on 3 different occasions. Not once have we asked for help( from the .Gov.) to rebuild or asked for help to survive. My Brothers know the risk that comes with living in such a place. and prepare accordingly. The world is a harsh place. and bad things happen to people. If you want to help them fine. But help them there. So that they may learn how to survive and stand on there own feet. The hard ship they go through now could help them become better and more independent than they are now.

Like Cav. man said Teach them to fish and they can feed them selfs for the rest of their lives. Bringing them here and other places and putting them back on welfare will not help them at all!

In the coming years there will be lots of work available there as they rebuild. Teach them the skills they need to help in that effort. And that will help build pride in them selves and there new communities. and then maybe some of those deadbeats will become productive in this society

My 0.2
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:46:13 AM EDT
I lived through two riots in Detroit, now there is "Hell Night" the night before Holloween when the City is set on fire by our poor unfortunates. After the riots, Detroit became the murder capitol of the USA. since it has lost the rating but is still in the top 7.I served in Camp Springs Maryland adjacent to The Distric of Columbia, and observed the "lifestyle". When I crossed the Rocky Mountains, I swore I would never be East of them again. Now with the Cascades at my Back there is no where else to go.
In this forum we use the term SHTF, well it that going to be the next step. I hope not. I will donate money, pack food baskets and work to help. But don't force a change of lifstyle on to this part of the state it just wont go. Hell, we are having enough problems with the Russian imigrants the bleeding heart liberals dumped on us, that immediatly swelled the welfare ranks, and crime blotters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:38:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gunchyck:
RS, I hope that you are never caught in a situation like this where you need to ask for help, compassion and understanding. But if you DO have that misfortune, I hope the people around you are not saying, "Fuck him"or, "sign this release and agree to the conditions and we will rescue you, if not, you can die."

I'd like to think that as a people, America is better than that.

I appreciate what you have to say. But I have been on the other side of the fence (Homeless) against my will. I did not go begging for money or help. Nor would I have gotten it if I asked because I'm a white male.

As for your last sentence. There are bleeding hart liberals on every corner so America is a great place for the domestic bagger (Welfare collector) and illegal immigrant.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:57:04 AM EDT

I believe I stated it in another thread, pull them up to their feet and let them stand on their own then, but I'm good with giving that initial help up onto their feet.

IMO....I agree we can help them back on their feet because they obviously did not prepare or have the means to, living the way they do. Perhaps now would be a good time for them to build new homes and live somewhere close by NO so they can help rebuild their own town. But that would mean they have to work. And we all know if they were bringing in a welfare check that might mean the end of their government assistance. Oh my we can't have that. Looks like the government is going to send them all over the nation instead.

Phil I think far as helping them we are saying the same thing, just using different words in doing so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:35:55 PM EDT
AMEN!
Top Top