Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 3:25:54 PM EDT
I applied for my concealed carry permit back in the latter part of August.  I was expecting 3 to 4 months, which would have made it between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it came in the mail last Saturday.

I'm thinking seriously about a Kimber .45 from GACop through the (definitely not affiliated with/sanctioned by AR15.com) Aimoo site.  I shot DaveS's Eclipse Custom II and it was awesome!

What opinions/suggestions do you guys have on which model Kimber .45 ACP?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

As for the Kimber, I have a Custom II and LOVE it.  No problems so far.  If I had it all to do over, I would have gotten a model with adjustable night sights.  That was my first 1911 and I've only had it a few months.  Other guys around here know the Kimber models a little better than me.

I got the Custom II because I knew I wanted just a basic 1911 and figured from there I could decide what other features I really wanted.  What features do you want on your .45?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The first consideration will be weight.  The full size 1911's can be a little heavy.  I prefer the full-size Stainless II, but some prefer a lighter gun.  Will weight be an issue for you?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not too concerned about the weight.  It's not that I'm muscle-bound or anything, I really just won't be able to carry it that much.  Because of where I work, I won't even be able to keep the pistol in my truck.  I got the CCW for principle, for just-in-case, and for convenience when buying more toys!

I like the look of the Royal II.  But since these prices are good, I was thinking about an Eclipse model.  It's just that the Eclipses don't look as "sexy."  I know it will thunk a bad guy just the same, but dog gone it, the .45 is a cool pistol and it should LOOK cool!  I definitely want full size (no Compact or Pro Carry).  Of course, everything in the Custom Shop looks nice, but I'm just too cheap to go that high.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I think looks are important when buying a 1911.  It's a very personal weapon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...but I'm just too cheap to go that high.

I can relate.  That's the reason I went with the Custom II.  I wanted to make sure I really liked the 1911 style before spending that much.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I think all the Kimbers are great.  Which one to get...that depends on you.  They seem to have a model for everyone.  I am looking to get a Pro Carry II from GAcop, and I used to have a Custom II like Bookhound's.  The Custom Ii was a fine piece of work.  Shot like a dream, and dead on.  Sure, I wish it had night sights, but then, who needs sights for a gun that you point, pull the trigger, and holes just appear where you envisioned?  I really wish I had it back [>(], but since I sold it to a friend that keeps telling me how much he loves it, I'll refrain from trying to buy it back.  Looking forward to the Pro Carry.  I think the big issue with 1911s and carrying is weight, cause it sure is not the thickness (would you believe that 1911s are thinner than Glock's "Slimline .45", the 36?), but the heft.  I've heard that a good gun belt helps a lot, and most 1911 packers tell me to get a Versa-Max II holster from Milt Sparks.  Supposedly, it conceals beautifully, and is made really well.  YMMV.  Good luck on finding your Kimber.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the CCW!!!

The rest is for those that don't have their CCW but are planning on getting one, so you don't have to wait over six months to get your CCW.

It depends on what county you are in, as to whether you will be fed B.S. or not.  Most of the metro county's tell you that you will recieve your CCW after 6 months.  I was nice and waited 3&1/2 months for mine before calling.  They gave me a B.S. story about how it would be over 6 more months.  I told them that I would call back in a couple of hours.  I called them back and read them line for line Section (d) of Georgia Code 16-11-129.   Here is the line you mainly need; " Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge or the probate court shall issue the applicant a license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this code section."   After reading them that on the phone, my CCW arrived two days later in the mail:)  According to the date on the CCW, it had been approved at least a month and half earlier, they were just sitting on it, as I heard they like to do.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know if you need to reapply for your CCW if you move to a different county?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no idea on that one.  I know if you change addresses within the same county, you don't need to bother to update the address on your permit until the five years are up and it's time to renew it anyway.  I asked about that and they said as long as my drivers license was up to date, the wrong address on my CCW didn't matter.  I would call and ask about the different county thing though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone know if you need to reapply for your CCW if you move to a different county?

Wow, not sure on that one.  Call the probate court and ask.  I'd love to know the answer on that one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I applied for my concealed carry permit back in the latter part of August.  I was expecting 3 to 4 months, which would have made it between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it came in the mail last Saturday.

What county are you in. I applied for mine about the same time and I'm still waiting
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Per Fulton County Probate Court, I will not need to reapply for a permit, nor will I need to pay a renewal fee.  I'm supposed to just let it ride until it's time to renew altogether.

That was the best-case scenario I was hoping for.  I was thinking that I might have to pay the renewal fee, but apparently it's not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info, reject.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What county are you in. I applied for mine about the same time and I'm still waiting

I live in Paulding county.  Maybe you could get broncobisley1 to call and check on it for you.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I called on mine today. It was issued Nov 19 so it should be here any day now. No more waiting on the background check
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Just in time for that lower Tommy.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Just recieved mine last week! 42 days after i applied (gwinnett county) they said it would take 60 days.

I am carrying my SA micro compact .45 in a Wilson Combat sharkskin pancake with matching mag holder until my Milt Sparks SS2 arrives.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Glock 26 with a G19 mag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock 30
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I just tried carrying my Kimber Custom II in a Galco leather belt slide holster under an untucked shirt.  Holy crap that is comfortable.  And I sure don't miss the IWB carry rig I was using with my Sig P230.  I was carrying the Sig because all my other handguns were too big to carry IWB.  I really like the idea of carrying something bigger than a .380 in a more comfortable way.  I'm a happy camper.

This rig will work under an untucked shirt or a jacket, but I'm worried about how to carry in warmer weather.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Right now I carry my Para P14.45 in a FOBUS paddle holster.  With the colder weather, I tend to wear long sleeve overshirts that conceal it nicely - being 6'6" and 30 pounds overweight certainly helps to keep it from profiling!  Before spring gets here, I hope to have a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 IWB holster.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#22]
How about this one???? I can make you a heck of a deal on it!!!!

BTW - this is NOT my CCW weapon. For that, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice Kimber there, thompsondd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top