Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:22 PM EDT
Man the cold sucks but I learned a lot. I think every person who lives in AK sould take this course. Spent the first day in a sigle man life raft and a sleeping bag and it was fucking cold. Didnt sleep at all. Second day was spent all alone in the woods with a sleeping bag, small piece of metal, some 550, and 7 gores of a parachute. Made a small shelter, made water, and lived relitively comfortable. A snow shelter is sooooo nice when its cold outside. I was actually warm. Sleep nearly 12 hrs.

The funny thing is, on my certificate it says -29 is only chilly. I want to know what the hell "fucking cold" is?

Overall.

-Snow is a good insulator.
-sleep on top of a shitload of pine bows
-wool gloves rock- all the new gucci ski glove shit cant hold a candle to good ole wool-even when wet.
- wiggys sleeping bags kick ass- down suck when wet
-be prepared or you will die in a instant in beautiful AK.

That is all
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Living for almost seven years on Slope, I learned a lot regarding the cold.  My Parka was also made by Wiggy and went everyplace with me.  Once it is on the possitive side of zero it can feel like a heat wave.  Look into buying a seal skin hat that is lined with beaver and your head and ears will never be cold again.  

Coldest weather I have had to patrol in was -104 with the windchill and anything after -20 is simply cold.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]

be prepared or you will die in a instant in beautiful AK.

Very true
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The weak shall perish, the strong shall thrive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanna do it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wanna do it.

Tell you what
You can come over and sleep in my backyard anytime you want
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
When I did it it was -36...

I would have spent two more nights in RT to not spend one more night out there in the cold.  By far the worst survival school!  That said, I'm glad I had to do it.  When I go snowmachining I am confidant that I could spend a few days out alone and come home alive.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wanna do it.

Saw where your from-nice and warm. 3 classes ago it was -50 or so. They had a girl from FL, 2 guys from TX and couple of more from down south somewhere. They almost died. They were not used to the cold and they never had ANY previous survival training. One of them did not know how to use the hood on the sleeping bag. They ended up staying up all night next to the fire and freezing their asses off. You can spot these guys when they get off the plane, a windbreaker, no hat, and shaking like a leaf.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
that is the one regret I had about being in , never got to go to any survival schools , or cool weapon schools
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wanna do it.

Saw where your from-nice and warm. 3 classes ago it was -50 or so. They had a girl from FL, 2 guys from TX and couple of more from down south somewhere. They almost died. They were not used to the cold and they never had ANY previous survival training. One of them did not know how to use the hood on the sleeping bag. They ended up staying up all night next to the fire and freezing their asses off. You can spot these guys when they get off the plane, a windbreaker, no hat, and shaking like a leaf.

If it helps I spent the first 18 years of my life in Iowa, Ive seen what AK considers warm weather (10 - -10F), just havent experienced any of it for 7 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
my old lady just got back from CWLC on sunday, is that the class your talking about?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wanna do it.

If it helps I spent the first 18 years of my life in Iowa, Ive seen what AK considers warm weather (10 - -10F), just havent experienced any of it for 7 years or so.

I switch houses with ya, but only during nov-feb

my old lady just got back from CWLC on sunday, is that the class your talking about?

What is the "LC" for? Its offically called "Artic Survival Training Course, S-V87-A PDS-V83". Its at Eilson AFB in FB.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]

What is the "LC" for? Its offically called "Artic Survival Training Course, S-V87-A PDS-V83". Its at Eilson AFB in FB.

cold weather leaders course.  at blackrapids training area, near ft greely.  different class.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Any market for a garage machinist/gunsmith in AK?  Whats starting pay for nurses?  Thats the only thing Im worrying about for my next move, if the Army does this 10 year retirement deal theyre talking about in Army Times Ill be a retired 28 year old in a couple years and the wife will be nursing.  I want the freedom of the north, even if it gets chilly outside.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any market for a garage machinist/gunsmith in AK?  Whats starting pay for nurses?  Thats the only thing Im worrying about for my next move, if the Army does this 10 year retirement deal theyre talking about in Army Times Ill be a retired 28 year old in a couple years and the wife will be nursing.  I want the freedom of the north, even if it gets chilly outside.

if you can get a job on a military post, its nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top