Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 4:35:40 PM EDT
Got Power last night and phone tonight.

5 DAYS WITHOUT ARF.com sucks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you're back!

We lost power here for about 2 seconds.

If I had not backed up generator to basement door before the storm I'd have been screwed with the luck I've had lately.

MM419

Danny
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
RobertM,

Where are you?  My parents in Hampton are still without power and spotty phone service.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It's about time you got back!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I lucked out and only lost it for a day. Grant is still out and thinks it may be another week!

It wasn't the first time, but cold showers are not fun!, saves water though!

Mark
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
We lost it for 3 days but I have friends that are still without

I heard Gov Warner on the radio this morning and it sounded like he's on top of Dominion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I live In Hopewell . My parents and Inlaws still don't have power.

Cabel & Phone lines are up and down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Power back on today here!  Out of the stoneage!
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
This outage must have caused a lot more damage than many realize.  Yesterday, I encountered a convoy of trucks from power companies in Florida and Georgia that must have been a mile long.  Dominion Virginia must have brought in every available body they could get.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it'd be interesting to hear about how your life was without power. How'd you cook your food, regrigeration, water? How about it?
The longest I can remember being without power was the east coast blackout not to long ago and that was only for about 6 hours
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The wife and I just got power back yesterday. 9 days and 5 hours without power. Man did that suck. For us no electricity means no water since we're on a well. We had a bathtub filled up with water, so we could flush the toilets. We also had about 20 gallons of water in jugs. We had to go over to my aunt and uncle's house for showers. They're about 20 minutes away. The first two days they didn't have power either, but since they are on city water we could at least take FREEZING showers.

We tossed everything in the fridge. Ate out quite a bit. Used candles and flashlights for light. We just moved to our house about a month ago. Since we're out in the country a little bit we had planned on getting a generator, but mostly we wanted to get one before a winter ice storm. Looks like it should've been a little higher on the priority list. Oh well, our house and cars weren't damaged, but did lose 6 or 7 trees.

I hope everyone else gets their power back soon. It's depressing coming home to a pitch black house.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Virginia Beach. I went 10 dam days, it sucked.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My lights dimmed a couple of times during the storm.  Whew boy, I was really nervous there... thought I might miss the Daily Show on Comedy Central.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My lights dimmed a couple of times during the storm.  Whew boy, I was really nervous there... thought I might miss the Daily Show on Comedy Central.  LOL

Wise Guy !
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got power back. The power went out here at 8:10pm and just came back on now. I had to get the candles out of SHTF stash.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Our's went out the nite of the 18th and we got power back on the 1st, then it went out again that night.  Service was restored on the 2nd.  Phone was temporarily restored on the 3rd.  Cable cut back on yesterday.

We cooked on the grill and camp stoves and had a couple of bonfires in the driveway to cook some hot dogs and roast marshmallows.  Not too sure how the neighbors took to that, but the kids had a blast.

Personally, I could have cared less if the power and phones came back or not, the only thing I really missed was the History Channel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top