Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 8:21:52 PM EDT
I've stated in another thread that I'm of Scottish decent...Via my Great-Great Grandfather !!!

My last name is Gow...Rhyming with "Cow"....But "Over there" would it be pronounced "Go" ???

I often hear the city of Glasgow prononced "Glas-Go"...Like I stated...Just curious how you "blokes" would pronounce it.

As an aside...Our youngest son (15 yrs of age) I named " Ian Glas Gow". So when you put his middle name next to our last name you get...you guessed it..."Glasgow"

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My missus is Scottish, and I'm from the most northerly part of England before you hit Scotland.

Definately, we do not pronounce Glasgow as in 'go' and not rhyming with cow.

Same for Moscow, we call it Mos-co, not Mos-cow.

However, GOW on its own would be pronounced to rhyme with cow.

Just odr indormation, you know how much the Texans seem to hate the Califonians, or the Americans have some distrust for the Canadians, well thats how much the Scottish hate the English on a good day!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My missus is Scottish, and I'm from the most northerly part of England before you hit Scotland.

Definately, we do not pronounce Glasgow as in 'go' and not rhyming with cow.

Same for Moscow, we call it Mos-co, not Mos-cow.

However, GOW on its own would be pronounced to rhyme with cow.

Just odr indormation, you know how much the Texans seem to hate the Califonians, or the Americans have some distrust for the Canadians, well thats how much the Scottish hate the English on a good day!

Thanks for the reply.................And I Hate California also
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top