Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:57:03 PM EDT
Guys,

About a mile down the road from where I went to college, there was an Indian Reservation. Maybe they're called Native American Reservations now....I don't know.

Anyway, I drove down there one day and the sign scared the crap out of me. "You are now leaving the United States..."

Here's the question:

What are the carry rules on a reservation that's in NY state? Firearms rules in general?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
In one of my classes, I don't remember which one, the instructor was reviewing some gun laws and basically said don't carry on a reservation because if something happens you are at the mercy of the reservation police.  I'm not sure which class it was.  It could have been the Monroe County homeowners firearm class in which case it would have been a sheriff's deputy saying that.  It could have been one of the other lectures or classes I went to though, i've been to quite a few.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately it isn't a one size fits all answer.  It all depends on the recognition status of the tribe and whether they have their own tribal police and courts or rely on the local police and local courts. All of my experiences are with smaller, less organized tribes that do not have their own tribal courts or police departments.  In which case either the local county cops or the NY State Police are the "invited" agencies that handle the primary 911.  As such the local criminal courts and NYS laws apply.  It all boils down to this.  If you know they have tribal police, that should imply they have their own tribal courts and their laws apply.  If they don't have their own tribal police, chances are you should be fine with a NYS pistol permit.  

Here's my personal pitch.  While I am not a fan of demonizing or taxing into the ground cigarettes, stay off of the "Indian" reservations and don't frequent the "tax free" cigarette shops.  Here are the reasons why:  1) most of the "Indians" are nothing more than local criminals that married into the tribe.  In many casese they are all convicted Felons who realized that they could sell tax free cigs which was more lucrative and provided less criminal exposure than their former occupation, that being crack dealers; 2) Whether you agree with it or not under the NY State Tax law there is a presumption that if you possess 2 or more cartons of tax free cigs you have no intention of paying the NY and County sales and cig taxes as such you are committing a NYS TL Misdemeanor.  Additionally if you possess 100 or more cartons you are committing a TL Felony;  3) There are clear documented cases that monies from bulk tax free cigarette transactions are being DIRECTLY FORWARDED TO AL QAEDA and other terrorist organizations.  

That being said, other than frequenting a prostitute, buying crack or buying tax free cigs that puts money into the pockets of Felons and Terrorists, I can't think of any good reasons to venture onto any of the "Indian" (and I use that term loosely) reservations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
scpd=suffolk county police dept? 1st of all, the OP said nothing about cigarettes..2nd your comments are pretty strong.....all people on the res are drug dealers and whores?...if you weren't hiding behind a computor screen, I'd like to introduce you to some friends of mine!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I live about a mile down the road from the Tuscarora indian Rez. Although they live on the rez...life is pretty much the same as off the rez(besides the tax thing) They do hunt almost year round,no hunting license needed, and I have seen some of them hunt with AR15's and Ak's....doesn't seem that strange to me. I wouldn't be scared to drive on the rez...they are americans too and their dislike of the Gubment is well advertised!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
scpd=suffolk county police dept? 1st of all, the OP said nothing about cigarettes..2nd your comments are pretty strong.....all people on the res are drug dealers and whores?...if you weren't hiding behind a computer screen, I'd like to introduce you to some friends of mine!

You realize the man said it was his personal view, however his mention of cigaretts, drugs, and prostitution only hi-jacked the thread.
Not all gang members are thugs, not all "Native Americans" fit into the stereotype set above, but you are judged by the company you keep and the attitudes you display.
I hold no more contempt for any one race or creed of people over another, how they behave is where determinations are made.
Worrying about CCW is futile: done right no one know you are unless you end up in a situation where drawing became imperative and subsequently a moot point,
All of us that have endured the anal probing State mandates in securing a licenses do not want ti endanger the loss of this licenses, but far too many fret over "what ifs".  keep it to yourself or leave it at home.
There's a saying: It's easier to ask forgivness than ask permission.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Poospatuck res., eh?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
scpd=suffolk county police dept? 1st of all, the OP said nothing about cigarettes..2nd your comments are pretty strong.....all people on the res are drug dealers and whores?...if you weren't hiding behind a computor screen, I'd like to introduce you to some friends of mine!

Are you threatening me?  If so please refer to 240.30(1) of the Penal Law and post when and where you want to be picked up.  Don't be so quick to assume about the screen name.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you threatening me?  If so please refer to 240.30(1) of the Penal Law and post when and where you want to be picked up.  Don't be so quick to assume about the screen name.  

Whoa,....calm down, I think what phumb was trying to say with the "introduce you to some friends of mine" line was that there ARE good folks there and he'd like you to meet them.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
yup, thats it..thanks brain! I work at Brookhaven Natl Lab and there are many employees from both shinnecock and poospatuk res...some GOOD people...also scpd, if i'm off in my "assumption", I dont think I can be to far off(maybe wrong county?) ...how else would you know the penal code #'s for harrasment?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
also scpd, if i'm off in my "assumption", I dont think I can be to far off(maybe wrong county?) ...how else would you know the penal code #'s for harrasment?

That's the state law, not county law..
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forget it.  It's not worth it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, you can stop it now......you're embarrassing yourself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it isn't a one size fits all answer.  It all depends on the recognition status of the tribe very true, most of what i say from here on out though applies to Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) in NY State

Here's my personal pitch.  While I am not a fan of demonizing or taxing into the ground cigarettes, stay off of the "Indian" reservations and don't frequent the "tax free" cigarette shops.  Here are the reasons why:  1) most of the "Indians" are nothing more than local criminals that married into the tribe. Generally, you can't be "part of the tribe" unless you have blood content, in the Iroquois case...you're mother has to have tribal status, or you don't  In many casese they are all convicted Felons which is it, many cases or all? who realized that they could sell tax free cigs which was more lucrative and provided less criminal exposure than their former occupation, that being crack dealers; They sell tax free cigarrettes because they're not part of New York State, they're a federally recognized sovereign nation, more power to 'em.   2) Whether you agree with it or not under the NY State Tax law they don't charge tax in their nation but you're free to come and go from your nation to theirs and buy cigarettes....whether you pay taxes on them when you bring them back to NY it's on you there is a presumption that if you possess 2 or more cartons of tax free cigs you have no intention of paying the NY and County sales and cig taxes as such you are committing a NYS TL Misdemeanor.  Additionally if you possess 100 or more cartons you are committing a TL Felony;  3) There are clear documented cases that monies from bulk tax free cigarette transactions are being DIRECTLY FORWARDED TO AL QAEDA and other terrorist organizations. I'd love to see a documented case of Haudenosaunee cigarette money going to AL QAEDA.  the notion is laughable.  

That being said, other than frequenting a prostitute, buying crack or buying tax free cigs that puts money into the pockets of Felons and Terrorists, I can't think of any good reasons to venture onto any of the "Indian" (and I use that term loosely) reservations. Those are some pretty bogus claims there buddy.  And why use it loosely, they are what they are.  Maybe some of the ones you've seen don't look "indian enough" to you, but they're enough to get Federally Recognized by a government that tried to exterminate them for the first 150 years of its existence.  And there's a shit ton of Reservations out there where they can and will speak a language you couldn't even begin to understand, including quite a few here in NY

Most people in this state don't know that the Haudenosaunee were the people that ran the show here before the Europeans showed up.  Shit was a lot different, but the H. are the oldest continually operating democracy (very federal in its makeup) in the world (1142 a.d.) and if you read some of the founding fathers (Ben Franklin most notably) they drew upon the Iroquois for some of their ideas.  They were/are a remarkable people, you (all of ya) would be doing yourself a favor to get to know a few.  

Like any ethnic group, there's always scumbags, we should be smart enough not to generalize and be an ass.....about anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top