Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 12:07:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/5/2004 12:09:59 PM EST by BDHershey]
Hey guys I just spent today at my little homemade "long-range" range and the Inidan Creek rifle range in the Sumter National Forest. Finally got to test my Rem 700PSS .308 and AR off my new bipod. Shot alittle with the 1911 too.

For the 700 I improvised a reactive target (read old empty beer keg) for shooting at 375-400 yds on some property I hunt on. This is the first time I've been able to shoot these distances. Fired 15 rnds, 10 Winchester 168 Ballistic Silver tips, and 5 168 Federal Gold Medal match. I have a Shepard scope and this was the first time I was able to use the ranging rings. It worked! Since the width of the target was bigger than the 18" the rings are supposed to represent it took a round to find the range, once I did IT WAS ON! The first round was high but on target, I pulled two rounds but they were on target, the other 12 landed in about an 8" group. I was happy. With practice and a taller bipod I think this group will grow smaller.

I didn't try the AR at the longer distances, as I don't have a scope for it... Yet. I want an EOTech first anyway. I did shoot it at the shorter distances at Indian Creek. Im still trying to get the irons zeroed. They are close at 30, but not where I want them. I was going to work on that today, but forgot any tools to adjust the FS. I did get to work on reloads and transtions to my sidearm today. My CQB Solutions CST sling is Awesome! I love it! Made transitioning to the pistol very easy, and kept the rifle secure while moving with it slung. I really like my SIR #58 too. Even when firing quickly, I never felt the handguards get warm at all (plus it looks real cool).

As a side not I put about 50rnds through my SA 1911. I had to send it in for warranty work because of an extraction/reliability problem. I've now put a few hundred rounds through it since it was returned with no problems.

Observations:

-my 6-9" bipod is great off the bench, but to short off the ground.
-shooting prone is different than from the bench or off-hand. Different angle allowed
recoild to push rifle into collar bone, instead of shoulder.
-shootin way out there is fun!

All in all it was a good day! I'm excited! Hope you guys have a good one as well!

-Hershey

P.S. I have some pics, but don't know how to post em.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:01:31 PM EST
email me the pics. I'll get em up for you.

Or...

create an account at hunt101. Upload the pics. Put em up here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:23:37 AM EST
Easy cheap solution to adjusting the front site on your ar-15:

Use a bullet tip to press on the detent and turn. A little difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is a breeze.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:49:54 AM EST
Yeah I tried the bullet tip trick. My fat fingers just can't get in there to get a good grip though....

Thanks for the tip though!

-Hershey
Top Top