Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/26/2011 1:50:17 PM EST
I have jury duty on the 27th ,and I don't want to go . I also do not want a $500.00 fine ,so I'm going. I a'm self employed and they wouldn't let me off .My question is ,If you force someone to do something they don't want to ,can you expect a good job ? Aren't there enough people who want to serve on a jury not to break my balls ? I know ,I know ,I would like a fair jury of my peers if it came to it .
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:48:29 PM EST
Our justice system may not be a good system, but it's the best one we have.

I've been called on for 4 times since moving here in 2005. each time, I explain that my ridiculously meager earnings (usually close to min-wage) don't even break even each month; and losing 15% of my monthly income is indeed a real hardship for me. Each time, I got dealt "big" cases that went 3 days just in the selection process, just to not even be selected on the third day. So basically 3 wasted days unpaid.

In the end, I switched from 1$ Swanson means to .25 cent ramen noodles. I pulled a few shift trades and some overtime; and on one occasion, I had to sell a Sig to make the rent check. It sucks, big time. But I will gladly return each and every time knowing that I am fulfilling my civic duty and more importantly knowing that if I ever get charged for a crime, that I will have some semblance of justice.

Always remember, it sure beats what goes on in places like Iran or Mexico.

Just my 2 cents; opinions may vary.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:02:27 PM EST
All I'm saying is ,when you FORCE someone to do something they don't want to do. Can you expect a good result ? I know it's my duty ,and yet I don't want to judge someone else and be responsible for letting a innocent man go to prison or setting a guilty man free and loose on the public . It would bother me either way . I say let those who want to , and don't force those who don't want to .
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:18:10 PM EST
I'm self employed also, and going to jury duty SUCKS. What I hate most is I ALWAYS get thrown out as soon as they ask if you have any friends or family that are part of the legal system. They should just put an asterisk next to my name and save us (well, mostly me) the trouble.

On a different note, my wife works for a large bank. She was picked for jury duty a little while back. She got paid for 8 hrs/day from work for jury duty leave, plus the measly $12/day + mileage the courts pay. She actually made more that week than if she had gone to work for the time she was scheduled!
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:20:43 PM EST
Last time I went they were doing the selection for that car wash killing on Bethany home Rd, my number was 21 and I was praying not 21, not 21. They started calling out the numbers of the people who was selected and I started praying even harder not 21, not 21. I must have been praying harder then the lady next to me because they called out 22.
You know like most things in life Jury Duty is a shit sandwich and we just have to take a bite now and then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:21:27 PM EST
I'm going ,but I ain't happy about it .
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:27:25 PM EST
Write them a letter stating that you don't believe in our current judicial system.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:37:26 PM EST
Just tell them you are a Tea Parrty affiliate and a law enforcement agency contributior through donations. The defense attourney will move mountains to get rid of you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:38:34 PM EST
Unforntuneatly I do believe in it .
Originally Posted By bluetick357:
Write them a letter stating that you don't believe in our current judicial system.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:52:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By GONIF:
Unforntuneatly I do believe in it .
Originally Posted By bluetick357:

That would be your first issue then,gotta quit believing in it.J/K I have to go Oct 13'th it sucks I know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:47:40 PM EST
I've served on 3 juries and I was surprised at how honestly everyone chosen for all of them tried to do what was right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:32:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2011 8:33:39 PM EST by Couch-Commando]
Where is your jury duty going to be? If it's Pinal county I can tell you what to say so that you get off.

ETA: My dad is a former capital litigation attorney and current judge. Say you are a friend of the family and you are dropped like a hot potato.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:58:15 AM EST
Explain to the judge you will affirm your RIGHT to common law Jury Nullification. You'll get booted right off.
Dean
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:53:27 PM EST
When I went up for jury duty two different fellows gave what the judge throught were bogus reasons and were found in contempt of court. Both spent 10 days in jail. The best thing is that you be absolutely honest and tell the judge that you are self employed and need the money.
But, two of our members on this site have been on trial for defending themselves, what if the few pro-self defense folks whoud have gotten out. Take a look at the case and see if you can help someone who did what you may have to do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:32:49 PM EST
I went and waited around untill 4:15 ,they thanked me and the other 40 people and said we were not needed ,and released us . It was boreing as hell .
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:31:54 PM EST
I have to go next month aswell and have a question. Do people ever take there children with them?

I am unable to get a babysitter for the date i am scheduled to go and i am not making my wife take an unpaid day off of work so i'll have to take my 10 month old with me.

Not looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:58:40 PM EST
With the current economic situtation, I'm surprised they think anyone could take a financial hit and serve jury duty. What if by serving, you miss a deadline and lose potential future work because of it? Those idiots never think of real world business situations like that because they don't live in a real world and frankly, I don't think they care. I posted a few months ago about how I was forced to serve even though I told them I don't get paid. They asked for my monthly earnings and bills and determined for me that I could afford to miss a few days unpaid.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:08:54 PM EST
In Cochise County the judges do use common sense and don't force folks who are honest and can't afford it. At some time in your life you will be able to do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:10:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By DeanQ:
Explain to the judge you will affirm your RIGHT to common law Jury Nullification. You'll get booted right off.
Dean

this works every time
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:23:34 PM EST
Jury summons are just like photo radar tickets and must follow the civil rules of being served.......
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:09:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1973rrc:
Last time I went they were doing the selection for that car wash killing on Bethany home Rd, my number was 21 and I was praying not 21, not 21. They started calling out the numbers of the people who was selected and I started praying even harder not 21, not 21. I must have been praying harder then the lady next to me because they called out 22.
You know like most things in life Jury Duty is a shit sandwich and we just have to take a bite now and then.

Yeah, I got a Federal jury duty summons for Oct 17! Luckily I am freshly unemployed...
Top Top