Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2008 1:25:21 PM EDT
Saturday, July 19, 2008, is the next ACTS Match at the Pima Pistol Club in Tucson (directions are here: http://pimapistol.org/Directions.htm).  Please arrive no later than 7:30am to get signed in, as we will be starting promptly at 8:00am.  Help with setup is appreciated, so please arrive early.

ACTS is the American Confederation of Tactical Shooters.  It was developed to provide a sport in which civilian rifle owners, along with Military and Law Enforcement professionals can practice “real world” shooting skills in a sporting venue, different than any other shooting discipline or association.  We encourage realistic stages, and emphasize using effective tactics to solve shooting problems.

We promote the safe practical, proficient use of rifles; foster sportsmanship and camaraderie among rifle owners; and to support and defend the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

If you haven't shot one of these matches in the past, getting started is easy.  All you need is a magazine-fed rifle with a sling and 2 extra magazines, a handgun, holster and 2 extra magazines, and a way to carry your extra magazines.  To find more information about this fun and exciting shooting style, please visit http://www.actshooters.com/.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the cost for the match? I see there's an annual membership fee for ACTS, is this how much it will cost to participate in the match?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Starting with the July 19th match we will begin at 8:00am due to the heat. We will also start the August match at 8:00am as well.

Also, from now on match fees are as follows:
$8 PPC members
$10 ACTS members
$13 nonmembers
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to give this match a try until I realized I have no means of legally (match rules) carrying rifle mags . I guess I'll have to wait until the next one. If there's another match before the 20th of August I'll be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If thats all thats keeping yo  from showing up dont let it.   Were real easy going with  new shooters.   We would rather have you out  shooting using pockets  than not have you there at all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
here is my aar for the match:

it was a good & fast little match.
iirc, we started around 0900 and finished by 1100.
Stage 1:
Walls with windows to shoot 4 arrays of multiple targets. some had had cover painted on the bodies and others were head shot only. Using the backup pistol was optional. I elected to transition after my primary went dry to engage the last couple of targets , since it was faster than reloading the rifle. Some guys shot the whole thing with the rifle. Range was easily inside 10-12yds for everything.

Stage2:
Texas-star engaged from about 10-12 yds withthe HG from a kneeling position. The "bad news"; shooter was limited to 5 rds to start with and another 5 for reload. If you left any plates standing, it was +10 per plate, iirc.
After theTxStar, you moved to the rifle that was prepositioned. Shooter could at his discretion engage targets stationary or on the move for 8 targets. Ranges varied from ~25-40 yds for these.

Stage3: Long range stage.
5+5+5+5
Shooter starts out prone and engages a 200yd steel plate with 5rds, then repeats same from keeling and standing.
Transitioning to the HG , engages a plate at ~25yds(someone correct me if I am wrong) with 5 rds.
The pistol hits acted as bounus rds, reducing time on your total score or something like that.

It was a good mix of practical riflemanship: close&fast to "long" range stuff.
Our squad had a mix of AR's with different sight systems and a SBR krink that ran like a bat-out-of-hell on the close range stuff.

If you haven't been to an ACTS match,it's your own fault.The round count was reasonable and the range is well laid out.

Afterwards , a bunch of us went to Bubb's(Bud's?) BBQ - awesome food.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like fun. If I had known I could reload my rifle from my pockets I definitely would have come. (Sounds like it wasn't even necessary for this match) I plan on getting the gear anyway so this won't be an issue later on.

I've got a question regarding Rule 14 (equipment). It says "Extra capacity magazines are permitted, however, they may not be loaded in a sidearm at the beginning of a stage. Pistol magazines must fit flush with the magazine well when a stage begins."

I run extended magazines with my Glock 26 that give me the same capacity as a standard Glock 19 (Image pulled from Google [Glockworld.com]). Would I still be forced to load a 10 round mag at the beginning of a round and then switch to the hi-cap?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like fun. If I had known I could reload my rifle from my pockets I definitely would have come. (Sounds like it wasn't even necessary for this match) I plan on getting the gear anyway so this won't be an issue later on.

I've got a question regarding Rule 14 (equipment). It says "Extra capacity magazines are permitted, however, they may not be loaded in a sidearm at the beginning of a stage. Pistol magazines must fit flush with the magazine well when a stage begins."

I run extended magazines with my Glock 26 that give me the same capacity as a standard Glock 19 (Image pulled from Google [Glockworld.com]). Would I still be forced to load a 10 round mag at the beginning of a round and then switch to the hi-cap?

Technically a problem, but I don't think anybody would care.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

except for the guy that was using the proper glock 26 mag.
as I read the rules , you would have to use the stock G26 mag to start - but could reload to a G19/17 or even a G18 mag afterward.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

except for the guy that was using the proper glock 26 mag.
as I read the rules , you would have to use the stock G26 mag to start - but could reload to a G19/17 or even a G18 mag afterward.

Correct. However the prize for last place is the same as for first place and I doubt the match coordinators would send anybody home over that issue.

Plus there is a guy with a revolver that is really fast and makes some of us semi-auto shooters look slow and inaccurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top