Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:45:34 AM EDT
Okay All, Friday I received my flight and hotel info...I'm heading out July 19th for Va., Ft. Benning, Ga. and the Sandbox...should be in country middle of August and doing my best to avoid a heat stroke...been doing my PT etc...I'm ready to go do this thing...wish me luck, I'll stay in touch...
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
we'll raise a beer to ya at the lake
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I will not wish you luck. But I will ask GOD to protect you. Please keep us posted as best you can. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need something that I can provide.

Respectfully;
HBR
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I will not wish you luck. But I will ask GOD to protect you. Please keep us posted as best you can. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need something that I can provide.

Respectfully;
HBR
Aye!
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all, I'm off this weekend...and have two more working days at the S.O....then its balls to the wall with my train up...not being as young as I once was it took a little longer to 'get comfortable' during my training...but I'm goog to go...

Cheers,

Lou
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Always remember, if shit gets deep over there, you still have friends back here pulling for you. Some you don't even know.
When you get back, if shit gets deep, there are people for you here then, also.
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Lou let me give you some info on what to expect at CRC when you get to Benning.  A lot of hurry up and wait.  I am leaving here on Friday going to ASTAN.

Overall the training is good but like I said a lot of hurry up and wait.  You will have flashbacks because you are right down the road from Ranger school here and sniper school.  Also you will go hang out in front of Airborne school when you go do some legal paperwork and other stuff. The worst day is Wednesday because it is all day in the classroom and it is long wont get out until 7 or 8.  

Now the DFAC has some damn good food that is for sure they have Wi-Fi here but you have to pay for it.  Overall it isnt all that bad but I am just ready to get the fuck ot of dodge and go work already.  If you have any further questions feel free to ask.  Make sure your shot record is up to date as well as dental and medical.  If you square that shit away before you get here you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Medical/ Dental GTG...can't find my shot records to save my ass...they're all probably out of date anyway...came back from Germany last time in '96....I'm supposed to be at CRC Aug 1st...

...and yes, the nostalgia...April '72, when PFC VuDu arrived at Benning for Jump School...that's when the adventure began...I believe I had a total of 14 whiskers at that time...

Take care in the Stan...I hear things are picking up there...

Hurry up and wait, the story of my life...I started this gig on Jan 15th and SHEESH!!!

Cheers,

Lou
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Seeing as how you are prior Army you might be in the system still.  Also forgot to mention BMI (Body Mass Index) it is based on your height/weight if it is 40 or above you are fucked.  They will send you packing someone will tell you about waivers but that is a tall tale.  Overall just make sure you get a badge with a low number on it that way you will be first in first out on everything.  And that is a serious bonus here.

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
BMI=23.1...as when I was on active duty...6'/170...wear the same sizes also...

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be good to go there were some DynCorp folks here and there rep had them squared away.  So get the company to put you in the CVS system early so you can get you your CAC card before arrival.   And since you are already squared away you should beeze through.

Oh and enjoy the communal showers
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
...now I'm getting my department equipment together...sheesh!!!! I'm finding stuff I was issued 8 years ago but didn't know I had...looking down the list...pager!!??? after some rummaging I found my department pager...yeah, that's right, I did have one issued about 7 years ago, battery's dead though...
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...now I'm getting my department equipment together...sheesh!!!! I'm finding stuff I was issued 8 years ago but didn't know I had...looking down the list...pager!!??? after some rummaging I found my department pager...yeah, that's right, I did have one issued about 7 years ago, battery's dead though...
Jebus man. That's nuts.  Hey when ya get over there, if you could hook a brother up with a couple of battle rugs, just IM me the cost
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
...no prob...what's a battle rug?
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...no prob...what's a battle rug?
Special prayer rug Hadjis use before battle and typically carry into battle with them.  I got one from a Ranger friend of mine and gave it to Cowboy for a wedding gift.  Now I'm kinda wanting one
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]
....I'll send photos of what's available, where ever I'm at.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
....I'll send photos of what's available, where ever I'm at.....
It's not really something you can buy I don't think  
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I will NOT steal anything....after 20 years in the Army, I'm hold a Masters in Relocation...

I'll post pics of mine sometime....Cowboy, please do!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Watch your 6 and come back safe.

BTW, thanks for doing what you do.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Lou not sure how your company will handle getting you into Country to start your tour but you might want to look into Embassy Flights they go straight into BIAP and other locations.  It is free and convenient.  Oh and when you get over here to Camp LSA go check out the Air Force side they have a pool you can swim in.  

And if really bored feel free to amuse yourself with the writing in the bathroom stalls.  Humorous and always cheer you up. A lot of jaw jacking between the Marines and the Army.  Chow hall food is good and they have a KFC, Subway, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Doughnut shop.

Trying to keep you up to date so you aren't coming in blind like I was.  It always helps to know what is happening before you get there.  Oh and you sleep in tent city 8 bunk beds to a tent with AC.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Its my understanding half of us are going to Astan (60) and the rest to Iraq our groups are flying charter flights then military...supposed to be in Kuwait 5-6 days then Bagdad for 5-6 days before splitting up for our respective assignments...I appreciate the intel...today I'm turning in my county equipment...then just upping my PT to 2x's a day...there'll be a little party at the VuDuLounge this weekend...I've got all my 'domestic stuff' (power of attorney, will, etc...) done...I have boxes (Sam Adams 12 packs) prepacked and numbered so I can email FrauVuDu and say 'send box #1'...I'm traveling light due to the amount of gear I'm being issued in Va. and Ft. Benning...
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#24]
The 12 pack boxes are perfect for mailing...they're also fun to empty...

Wouldn't you know it...the Class VI store at LRAFB started carrying cases of Erdinger Hefe Weizen Beer...two weeks before I leave...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#25]
...Finally in Va.

It all starts tomorrow...
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in...barring be overtaken by bad juju, all phases passed...
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Made through PAST...now in Ga.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm full of Guiness...Jumping the pond in the morning...I'll re-establish contact when I can...

Cheers,

VuDuLou
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Alive and well in Kuwait...damn, is hot here...bright too!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Been in Bagdad for the past fours days, getting briefings, classes, M-4 and M-9, radio, cell pone etc. am ready to leave here and get to work...won't know for a couple of days what region I'll get or where I'll be working out of...so far so good, heat is not unbearable...drinking LOTS of water...will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Lou  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top