Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:53:29 PM EDT
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2009/09/dont_loosen_gun_controls.html#comments

Don't loosen gun controls

by Juan M. Perez Sheriff of Hudson County Jersey City

Tuesday September 01, 2009, 12:01 AM

As your sheriff of Hudson County, and as a law enforcement officer for many years, I must strongly oppose the recent overtures by some federal legislators to permit individuals to carry concealed weapons over state lines and throughout the country.

It is most certain that handguns and other types of weapons only belong in the possession of law enforcement and military personnel. We lost a dedicated, professional and caring Jersey City officer in the person of Detective Marc DiNardo, slain by career criminals in possession of an automatic type of shotgun which was bought to our city from another part of the country. Certainly, these types of weapons should be prohibited from being manufactured, imported, or sold in the United States of America.

Further, we oppose proposed federal bills HR 4900, HR 2296 and S 941, as these laws would certainly undermine federal agents and local law enforcement in their fight against illegal guns. These bills would create an unnecessarily high evidentiary standard in licensing procedures, allowing the gun dealer to use "ignorance of the law" as an excuse in the breaking of the law, allow gun dealers to sell guns 60 days after the ATF revokes a license, block the ATF from updating record keeping, would not require federally licensed gun dealers to report multiple handgun sales to state or local law enforcement, and would slant license revocation procedures in favor of law breaking gun dealers.

We have witnessed, throughout the country and in our own Jersey City, fatal shootings of police officers and civilians utilizing illegal guns and guns that harm humanity. The above bills and the proposal to permit guns to be carried in a concealed manner would only add to the problems of law enforcement and protect dealers who break the law. Our law enforcement officers and the general public deserve protection in every area from gun violence and other crimes.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea !  Lawful Citizens and Felons are one and the same, what a idiot that Perez
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people just don't get it. In every State in the Nation where CCW was approved, crime went down. It's amazing how they completely overlook that FACT!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It's got nothing to do with guns. It's all about control.
BTW, this Perez guy sound like a real asshole. He must be very popular amongst the other douche bags running this shit hole.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.largo.org/Lott.html

Professor John Lott's research and conclusion on gun control shows that shall issue states significantly reduced crime.

http://www.largo.org/klecksum.html

Professor Gary Kleck is a life long (self-avowed) liberal democrat, author of Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America. He had expected the research involved in that writing to infer negatively on gun ownership. He discovered a vast amount of violent crimes were prevented by firearms usage. Even though this was contrary to his original premise, he had the integrity to stand by his research. Although that book was awarded the best book (of 1993) on criminology by the American Society of Criminology it was largely ignored by gun control advocates such as most medical journals and our Government's Justice Department and Center for Disease Control.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got to follow that one up with one of my favorite Homer Simpson quotes. "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."
They're not interested in facts or truth. Facts and truth don't feel good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The level of ignorance by Perez is simply mind boggling...
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy crap, I have never heard anything more ignorant and assinine.  I pray they eventually get through the Thune Amendment and Incorporation.  OUr land will be better for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if NJ will threaten to leave the union.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if NJ will threaten to leave the union.

And I will fight for this part of NJ to go a seperate way! Free South Jersey!
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Wind, can I come stay with you and Mrs. Wind? I don't wanna be left in North Jerseystan all alone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
What a cock face.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
So what kind of shotgun was used?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Mossberg 590
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is  the Sheriff Perez,"Mission statement"

"The Hudson County Sheriff's Office is committed to protect, preserve and safeguard the constitutional and civil rights of all citizens through impartial and courteous law enforcement with integrity and professionalism. We shall ensure public safety and provide quality service in partnership with our communities.".

Laughable
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So by this guy's logic, if the criminal had shot the police officer with a shot gun purchased in NJ as opposed to one he purchased from somewhere else, his friend would not have died?  Last time I checked, it did not matter what type of gun you got shot with..........
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is  the Sheriff Perez,"Mission statement"

"The Hudson County Sheriff's Office is committed to protect, preserve and safeguard the constitutional and civil rights of all citizens through impartial and courteous law enforcement with integrity and professionalism. We shall ensure public safety and provide quality service in partnership with our communities.".

Laughable

Sheriff Perez must be taking Truth lessons from President Pinocchio
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Stupidity seems to breed here in NJ with some of our police officials, and it starts with GOV. Corzine.

Yup welcome to NJ

Brian
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Paging Sheriff Nozzle.... Paging Sheriff Nozzle..... Paging Sheriff DOUCHE NOZZLE

County Sheriffs are Politicians FIRST, and cops last.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I just moved from Hudson county and it's real bad up there.  This guy is a complet buffoon and not interested in the law but only his own self interest.  Funny story about my cousin who is in the police academy.  I asked him what he would do if the state said we are going to round up all the guns in a Katrina like event.  I wanted to know if he would go around to people's houses and collect their firearms knowing it was unconstitutional ect.  He said he would do as he was told by his superiors.  I said even though you swear a pledge to uphold the laws of the land and such a order would not be in agreement with said pledge and he said yes, he would do his job.  

I laughed and said welll you better hope that you don't come knocking on my door cause all I'm going to see is someone who wants to take away my right to ownership and protection.  He said he'd opt for another house....hahaha.....

the gov't/law enforcement doesn't get it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe South Jersey and Northwest Jersey can leave this crappy state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mossberg 590

I take it those are NOT NJ legal?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mossberg 590

I take it those are NOT NJ legal?

Legal. They meet minimum length and only have one evil feature.
There is no provision on our ban for shotguns without buttstocks, only overall length.

Best believe they will want to reinforce the ban. I will be moving out of state that same day it gets passed.

Also, you can't split the state. There is too many crime infested cities dotted all over it on the map.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
North, South, East, West, JERSEY SUCK'S no matter where you go .
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just moved from Hudson county and it's real bad up there.  This guy is a complet buffoon and not interested in the law but only his own self interest.  Funny story about my cousin who is in the police academy.  I asked him what he would do if the state said we are going to round up all the guns in a Katrina like event.  I wanted to know if he would go around to people's houses and collect their firearms knowing it was unconstitutional ect.  He said he would do as he was told by his superiors.  I said even though you swear a pledge to uphold the laws of the land and such a order would not be in agreement with said pledge and he said yes, he would do his job.  

I laughed and said welll you better hope that you don't come knocking on my door cause all I'm going to see is someone who wants to take away my right to ownership and protection.  He said he'd opt for another house....hahaha.....

No, your MORON cousin doesnt get it..the MAJORITY of guys would tell the bosses to go pound sand.  But thanks for trying to paint all cops as statist assholes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, your MORON cousin doesnt get it..the MAJORITY of guys would tell the bosses to go pound sand.  But thanks for trying to paint all cops as statist assholes.

^This, I would have to agree.

Collecting guns from armed people during a crisis of any sort is police shootouts waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can think of one LEO I've met who doesn't get it. I can also think of at least another half dozen who do get it. Actually, it's probably more like 10 who I know for a fact get it.
That one I met who doesn't get it really pissed me off though. She had no business being LEO. Should have joined some femininist/man hating group, because breaking balls was all she was about.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have 4 cousins that are cops so with the new cousin that would be 5.  I've spoken with 3 of them on this and to the person, they all said they'd do as they are told.  You may be a cop and you may have a different view but when push comes to shove, I find it hard to believe that you or any other officer would risk their badge by refusing an order.  for the record as indicated by my earlier post, I think it's bs and like another poster said, it's a slippery slope that undoubtably would lead to a shooting incident somewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top