Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2009 9:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2009 9:38:21 PM EDT by Lilaussie]
Considering a move to Jonesboro AR from Australia.

Is it a good town?
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:44:00 PM EDT
Wouldn't be my first choice. Not the nicest place in the state. Are you looking to move there for a job, retire or other?
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:28:13 PM EDT
Good question! I guess I need to spend 5 yrs in the US and that is one place I am considering as the homes are huge and cheap!
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 4:16:38 AM EDT
we moved from san diego to north west AR. really nice towns up here. the cost is not bad as well. why do u need to spend time here? man i would stay in OZ. i lived in NZ for a year and wish i could have stayed there. gun laws are not the best but cant beat the hunting u guys have down there

stuck
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:18:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 8:05:31 AM EDT
where is australia are you from. arkansas is like australia but no beaches. its morle like tumit /wagga. I am about an hour north of jonesboro.
we have a few aussies here and a few kiwi's as well as a south african.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2009 6:03:38 PM EDT by Hebrew_Battle_Rifle]
If I were looking to relocate in Arkansas, I would limit my searches to the western portion and outside the boundries of Pulaski county. (I mean no disrespect to my eastern brethren.)However, you will be overtaxed regardless of where you live in this state. On the other hand, you can legally own, possess, and hunt with automatic firearms.  So, there ya go....
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 8:17:42 PM EDT
bring women! American women suck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 8:58:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

thats why I am here they just keep sucking

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 4:39:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ActionYobbo:
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

thats why I am here they just keep sucking

lol.  I was smart, went and got myself a nice Canadian girl.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 5:47:11 PM EDT
As someone who has lived in both Eastern Arkansas and NW Arkansas.......

Jonesboro >>>>>>>>>NW Arkansas

Both areas have had rapid growth, but NW Arkansas has been taken over by carpetbaggers and scalawags, while Jonesoboro is still "Southern".

I'm trying to move back to the eastern part of the state; NW Arkansas sucks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:14:01 AM EDT
buy my house on 40 acres near hardy I am looking to sell and move a bit closer to cave city
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:35:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ActionYobbo:
buy my house on 40 acres near hardy I am looking to sell and move a bit closer to cave city

Like canoeing in Hardy, but want to live down closer to home in the flatlands.

No jobs anywhere south of Jonesboro though............
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 1:58:02 PM EDT
I've lived in Jonesboro for 44 years.  If you live in the southwest part of town (the Valley View school district) it's pretty nice.  There are some bad parts of town but just stay away and you'll be OK.

We have a great IPSC pistol range about 15 minutes from town and easy access (about 1 hour) from a range operated by the game and fish folks.

Decent restaurants, almost no local entertainment except a movie theater.

Do not under any circumstances move to northwest Arkansas unless you like being surrounded by illegal aliens.  North central Arkansas is nice but very rural.  To some of us "very rural" is a good thing.

If you'd ever like to come visit you are welcome to stay with us, we can go to a shooting match at our local range and go check out the rifle range at Paragould (the one that is about an hour away).

IM if you have any questions, and good day!
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 8:41:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stinson342:
I've lived in Jonesboro for 44 years.  If you live in the southwest part of town (the Valley View school district) it's pretty nice.  There are some bad parts of town but just stay away and you'll be OK.

We have a great IPSC pistol range about 15 minutes from town and easy access (about 1 hour) from a range operated by the game and fish folks.

Do not under any circumstances move to northwest Arkansas unless you like being surrounded by illegal aliens.  North central Arkansas is nice but very rural.  To some of us "very rural" is a good thing.

If you'd ever like to come visit you are welcome to stay with us, we can go to a shooting match at our local range and go check out the rifle range at Paragould (the one that is about an hour away).

10 miles from beaver lake, 12 miles from wilson combat , 6 feet from 1000 acre range complete with steel reactive targets, yea nw ar sucks better move to jonestown. i mean joneboro
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 8:46:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sniper1886:
Originally Posted By Stinson342:

10 miles from beaver lake, 12 miles from wilson combat , 6 feet from 1000 acre range complete with steel reactive targets, yea nw ar sucks better move to jonestown. i mean joneboro

Yeah, uhm. A lake, whoopty doo, they don't have lakes in North East Arkansas  Wilson combat, cool. Yeah, because living near a factory for over priced over rated guns is such a cool thing.

It's also full of fucking libtards and illegals.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:21:53 AM EDT
Thanks for the invite but I am a girl who has never seen a gun or held one so I doubt I will join any of you for a hunt or at the ranges!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:32:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lilaussie:
Thanks for the invite but I am a girl who has never seen a gun or held one so I doubt I will join any of you for a hunt or at the ranges!

Oh we will fix that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:41:52 PM EDT

I'm teaching my daughters (twins age 8 and the little one is 5) to shoot, so one more new shooter won't be a problem!

If you have never shot a pistol, rifle, or shotgun maybe you can find a friend near you who owns a .22 caliber rifle or pistol.  They're a great way to learn to shoot...not too loud, almost no recoil, accurate, lots of fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:13:49 AM EDT
Not to be rude but for a person with no interest in shooting or firearms what brings you to ar15.com?

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2009 12:33:51 PM EDT by wm69]
My guess is she did a search and somehow "hometown forum, Arkansas" probably popped this forum up.  My .02
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:08:59 AM EDT
You aren't too rude to ask.........perhaps curious? A mate of mine is a soldier somewhere in the US and there is a spot on here where people in USA ask Aussies questions and he wanted me to sign up to answer some of them! Then being the intelligent woman that I am......I checked out the site and found the AR area and asked a question for my own purpose on there and the rest is history!!!!!!!
Anyway guns are illegal here so am not into them!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:10:02 AM EDT
Yes you are right!!!!! I did just do that and found the forum!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:10:44 AM EDT
Yes you are right!!!!! I did just do that and found the forum!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 11:46:53 PM EDT by scott917]
well not to go against the grain for no reason, but i like Jonesboro.  while Little Rock may be the biggest city in Arkansas, to me that means nothing.  i have never really liked Little Rock.   as for shopping and modern needs there is always the internet.  NW Arkansas was not very interesting to me, never wanted to move there, no reason really, i always liked living in eastern Arkansas.  i think i liked the flat geography of NE Arkansas and being close to Memphis.  too bad Memphis has gone down hill so bad since i moved to Texas.  

i lived in Arkansas(NE Arkansas) for 19 years and went to college at ASU in Jonesboro, so i might be a little biased.  last time i was there Jonesboro, was in a dry county(no alcohol sales) so if you want to drink you have to plan ahead and drive to the county line.  don't know if this is still true or not.  when i was there the only place that served alcohol was the Holiday Inn on the bypass.  and being 18-19 they were not going to let me in there.  so again, not a huge selection of places to party or grab a beer with friends.  things may have changed and you who live there or near there feel free to correct me where i am wrong.

i liked the size of Jonesboro and thought it was a nice place to live when i was there.  expecially for NW Arkansas, i was origionally from Osceola(pop. 8k, and due east of Jonesboro).  if you think there is little to do in Jonesboro then go to Osceola.  last time i was there, they only had 4 traffic lights in the whole town, 2 of those to hadle the traffic from the American Greetings plant when it was shift change.   to me the college students were willing to work for minimum wage and this helped to keep small bussiness(and large ones) up and running.  i had Jonesboro as one of the two cities in Arkansas i would retire in if given the choice for the reasons above(and below).  YMMV.  also the college had students and besides study and sleep, college students like to spend money so i thought the economy in Jonesboro was better than most cities in NW Arkansas.  

can't speak for home ownership as i have been away for too long.  i am sure the market is not what it was when i was there.  and i have no idea to tell you where to stay away from.  

while arkansas does have a state income tax, your property taxes on a house(property) are not near as bad as they are here in Texas.  but i still think that you come out a little better in Arkansas, than Texas.  the property taxes here are just horrible and climbing every year.  

don't flame my post too hard, but that is the way i see(saw) it.  if i am really wrong, go ahead and set the record straight.  

S
Top Top