Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:48:00 PM EDT
Hello Wisconsin forum! I have a job interview in Appleton, and if all goes well, will be moving to the area. Is there a good/bad part of town, or is any part of town all right? Any areas to avoid as far as apartments go? Thanks in advance for any information.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:04:33 PM EDT
I'm not too familiar with the area, other than I think we have a couple of members there that will chime in.
Good luck, and hopefully welcome!
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 2:22:53 PM EDT
combined locks is rather central and more upscale last time i was there.
regardless of where you live, you're not more than 15 minutes from the other side of town.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2012 4:29:53 PM EDT by Fast_Eddie222]
I moved here 4 months ago from the Twin Cities. There is no place here that I think is bad. Apartments seem to be tight right now, but try Dublin Trail apartments. It's in the Town of Neenah. Decent place and the heat is paid. Besides the people in this area of WI are the best, the second best thing is that its 15 minutes to anywhere.

Good luck,
Ed
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:18:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2012 5:18:47 PM EDT by Garage]
Depends on what you consider "bad" I know people that think there are bad sections , but if you are coming from any kind of major city ... There are no bad parts .

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:34:21 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies everyone. Using padmapper, I noticed quite a few nice looking apartments in the $400 to $500 range. Here in Columbus, that will put you in the middle of Section 8 or a housing project.

The Fox River Mills apartments look very nice, but their rates are quite a bit higher than the area average from what I've noticed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:19:10 PM EDT
There are no real terrible section like say west of 110th street or anything, it's more little pockets of bad here and there.

Shoot me a PM if you like and I can give you details or talk on the phone if you want more info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:27:41 PM EDT
No matter where you land - with 41 and 441 here - you can be anywhere in 15 minutes.

I'd stay away from Menasha if you're looking outside of Appleton, but Neenah is nice.

Oh and being in walking distance of College Ave is a big +
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:35:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
No matter where you land - with 41 and 441 here - you can be anywhere in 15 minutes.

I'd stay away from Menasha if you're looking outside of Appleton, but Neenah is nice.

There is truth in the above post, depending on the lifestyle you live and your age, walking distance to downtown Appleton is a plus.

There are very few bad places that I would avoid. You literally are "15 minutes from everywhere" when you live in Appleton. And 30 minutes from the greatest stadium on Earth.

IM me with the details of where the new employer is located. You do not have to be too specific, that will help narrow it down and I can throw my 2-cents your way.

Kaukauna smells like the paper industry, so that would be the one place that I would say avoid, unless you have a fetish for rotten eggs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:36:33 PM EDT

I would suggest staying away from the Dublin Trail Apartments, or anything managed by premier( their parent company). The management is very rude and it takes an act of congress to get anything fixed around there. I lived there for 2.5 years before I bought my house. they are expensive.
Just a heads up.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:06:19 PM EDT
Fox river mills Apartments are slick but expensive on the upside I can guarantee there Fire Alarm system is Top Notch!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:36:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Parruthead:
Fox river mills Apartments are slick but expensive on the upside I can guarantee there Fire Alarm system is Top Notch!!!

Installed it yourself, or light your place on fire?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:46:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Righteous:

There is truth in the above post, depending on the lifestyle you live and your age, walking distance to downtown Appleton is a plus.

There are very few bad places that I would avoid. You literally are "15 minutes from everywhere" when you live in Appleton. And 30 minutes from the greatest stadium on Earth.

IM me with the details of where the new employer is located. You do not have to be too specific, that will help narrow it down and I can throw my 2-cents your way.

Kaukauna smells like the paper industry, so that would be the one place that I would say avoid, unless you have a fetish for rotten eggs.

Hey i live in kaukauna its not that bad. the downtown area is run down
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:50:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KingRat:

Originally Posted By Parruthead:

Installed it yourself, or light your place on fire?

Nope due the annual maintenance on it
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:43:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Righteous:

Kaukauna also has a fairly tight-knit (read, incestuous) social system that's difficult for an outsider to integrate into. For a single male, you might not care. If you have a female and kids with you, you might. If they didn't go to high school with you or your spouse, they don't like you. The paper mill has been cleaned up, so the smell isn't as bad as it was 30 years ago.

The only bad places I know of in Appleton are along Ballard Avenue north of Wisconsin, and a few spots of Hwy OO East of the mall, there used to be some near the old Foxes stadium on Spencer but that's cleaned up now. The housing boom seems to have shuffled a lot of that stuff around. Even the "bad" areas all poor rednecks and a few Hmong people though, maybe slightly higher risk of car break ins or domestics. There is no place that is "gonna car jack you at the stop light" bad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:52:01 AM EDT
If I were to move to the Appleton /Fox Cities area, I would look at places north of the Hwy 41 area all the way down to where 41 makes the turn south by the hwy 15 exit. Then it would be west of 41. That all depends though on your place of employment, age and income. If you are younger being near College Ave. would be great. Near retirement age not so good. I agree that at times Thilmanys Kaukauna mill does have a really bad odor. The Freedom area just north of Appleton is just Godawful for 2-3 months out of the year when the mega farms are spreading and emptying there liquid manure pits. A guy I know in Freedom told me for that time period you can't leave your garage door open and you keep all your windows closed.

I live 25 minutes north of Appleton in a rural area, but drive dump truck in and around the whole area 7-8 months out of the year. I would say it is a nice place to live if you like city living.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:23:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2012 10:25:34 AM EDT by Garage]
Let us know when you get settled ...

We can do a "welcome to Wisconsin" shindig at prime quarter , just to confuse the shit out of you.

Mom lives in te toonen place by the mall "McCarthy creek" I think . Really freaking nice apartments and she found the management was over the top almost in helping her get settled, meet people etc ,.... ( we are out of state transplants ourselves)... But I know they're a bit more expensive .
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:59:57 AM EDT
Thanks again to everyone for all the tips. Being "15 minutes from anywhere" sounds great, as I'm used to being stuck in traffic for up to an hour during rush hour.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:00:16 AM EDT
I have a sister up there. Love that town a whole lot. Good entertainment downtown on College Ave. Lots of great food joints, dancing and live bands all the time. Depends on your age, you may just love that town too!!! Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:48:14 PM EDT
Thanks again to everyone for all the tips. Being "15 minutes from anywhere" sounds great, as I'm used to being stuck in traffic for up to an hour during rush hour.

Yeah. A traffic jam in appleton is where the highway slows to 50mph instead of 70, or you hit more than 3 lights on your way home.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2012 6:07:58 PM EDT by inferno715]
/

Kaukauna also has a fairly tight-knit (read, incestuous) social system that's difficult for an outsider to integrate into. For a single male, you might not care. If you have a female and kids with you, you might. If they didn't go to high school with you or your spouse, they don't like you.

Something in the air around Kaukauna drives my allergies crazy. Not sure if it's from the farms or the mills. First I've heard of it being cliquey, but I only go there once every few years to visit family. Not surprising since it's a small town.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:02:57 PM EDT
Check out Wrightstown, its about 17 miles north of Appleton.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:59:40 AM EDT
Little Chute, just north of Appleton is a nice little community...
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:07:35 PM EDT
it should be noted. that greenville is a short drive from the Appleton area along with hortonville but coming from Columbus might be a bit of a shell shock because they are small towns. I really like the city of New London which is a half hour away from Appleton.

apartments to avoid would be the lyndale apartments and anything managed by them. they are a magnet for slummy people and management isn't the greatest
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:01:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Clay54961:
it should be noted. that greenville is a short drive from the Appleton area along with hortonville but coming from Columbus might be a bit of a shell shock because they are small towns. I really like the city of New London which is a half hour away from Appleton.

apartments to avoid would be the lyndale apartments and anything managed by them. they are a magnet for slummy people and management isn't the greatest

I live in Hortonville. I really like it here and the Hortonville School District has been great. There some new apartments going in on the west side of town. They're supposed to break ground pretty soon. Greenville is a pretty nice area too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:26:21 PM EDT
Having lived in Appleton or worked here my entire life, I have some good perspective. I've been in 4 or 5 apartments in the last 6 years and have sampled most of the apartments around here.

The best area to live is on the north side of Appleton. It's a higher end area, no crime (or low), it's very affordable yet nice, and just a great place for a family or single guy.

Stay away from Neenah, Menasha, Kaukauna, etc. They are the shitty areas of the Fox Valley. Stick with Appleton and Darboy. I currently am in a nice house in Darboy, it's on the north east side of town. I previously was in Glory Lane Apartments which is on the north ease side of Appleton right next to HWY 441 and HWY 41 and it was a nice place. Management was typical management but nice facilities, fair management, great tenants. It's located in an area that is full of 250K+ houses and just a nice neighborhood where cops live. No crime, quiet, etc.

Apologies to anyone that lives in neenah/menasha/kaukauna, but I have to speak the truth. You may live in an "exception" area, but based on experiences, they do not compare to most of Appleton.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:28:20 PM EDT
I forgot to ask... what is your budget? I can steer you in the right direction based on price. I've lived in apartments from $350 / mo to $1000/mo. I've tried quite a few!

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:32:46 PM EDT
use padmapper

use the "super secret" features to overlay a crime map. I'm sure you will find that appleton and surrounding areas are quite safe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:58:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GreenZ:
use padmapper

use the "super secret" features to overlay a crime map. I'm sure you will find that appleton and surrounding areas are quite safe.

According to them, Appleton has no crime!

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:48:03 AM EDT
Yep, we're a regular Pleasantville!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:49:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DavidK:
Having lived in Appleton or worked here my entire life, I have some good perspective. I've been in 4 or 5 apartments in the last 6 years and have sampled most of the apartments around here.

The best area to live is on the north side of Appleton. It's a higher end area, no crime (or low), it's very affordable yet nice, and just a great place for a family or single guy.

Stay away from Neenah, Menasha, Kaukauna, etc. They are the shitty areas of the Fox Valley. Stick with Appleton and Darboy. I currently am in a nice house in Darboy, it's on the north east side of town. I previously was in Glory Lane Apartments which is on the north ease side of Appleton right next to HWY 441 and HWY 41 and it was a nice place. Management was typical management but nice facilities, fair management, great tenants. It's located in an area that is full of 250K+ houses and just a nice neighborhood where cops live. No crime, quiet, etc.

Apologies to anyone that lives in neenah/menasha/kaukauna, but I have to speak the truth. You may live in an "exception" area, but based on experiences, they do not compare to most of Appleton.

Sorry David, But I have to call Bullshit on you... I have lived in the Valley for close to 50 Yrs and your statement is just flat out wrong... It may be your truth, but it's not THE truth... you look at Police blotters for all the cities and even thought they are all pretty low, you will find Appleton to have the most activity. To make a Blanket statement that their the Shittiest, is just wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:37:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Harv24:
Originally Posted By DavidK:

Sorry David, But I have to call Bullshit on you... I have lived in the Valley for close to 50 Yrs and your statement is just flat out wrong... It may be your truth, but it's not THE truth... you look at Police blotters for all the cities and even thought they are all pretty low, you will find Appleton to have the most activity. To make a Blanket statement that their the Shittiest, is just wrong.

I wasn't talking about crime, I was talking about quality of living and the quality of the areas. Are there nice areas in Neenah? Of course. Bergstrom lives in Neenah, his neighborhood isn't shitty. Unfortunately, most cannot afford such luxuries. If you were to compare Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, Kaukauna, etc... Appleton is by far the cleanest and nicest city of them all. Darboy takes the cake, but that area is a bit pricier than the rest so I don't compare it.

Neenah is nicer than menasha and kaukauna, but Appleton and Darboy are by far the best. Of course your personal preference may think otherwise... but it's personal preference. I know people who live in Oshkosh and think it's a clean and beautiful city... they are obviously blinded by sentimental thoughts or some other inner delusion.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:00:42 PM EDT
To interrupt the BS calling out BS above (you know I love you both )...

Anywhere in the Fox Cities area you decide to settle will be a step up from Columbus, unless you live waaaay out in the 'burbs currently, and even then, it's a different flavor of suburbia.

Kakauna stinks. Literally.

Apologies to the folks that live there, but I'd bet you're used to it. Driving through recently (within the last year) hasn't changed my opinion.

Anywhere within the city limits of Appleton will be fine. I lived in an area where many of my neighbors were Hmong, and as tough as the yuuts tried to be, they failed to intimidate (then again, I moved to Appleton from the NYC area - talk about culture shock). Rednecks are rednecks everywhere.

"Pleasantville" is an apt descriptor of the entire area.

Good luck with your interview!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:31:35 AM EDT
I've lived in Neenah/Town of Menasha (technically a Neenah mailing address) for 29 years. It's definitely not one of the shitty parts of the valley...Just like nearly all of the cities in the area, there are really nice parts and there are some shitty parts. There are only a few crappy areas (couple block radius southeast of the high school) and along the west side of s commercial street). There are also 10+ new subdivisions. There's a reason Neenah property taxes are some of the highest in the area though.

Back on topic, it's pretty easy to spot the more run-down areas in the valley area. Take a day to check out places and I'm sure you'll find a few that work for you. Most of the gas stations have pamphlets with apartments for rent too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2012 12:15:11 PM EDT by the_professional]
I live and work in Appleton and through my line of work I am acquainted with the less savory parts of the city. Here is what you need to know.

Apartment Complexes to AVOID at all costs. Nuke from Orbit... Remember, if its "cheap", there's a reason for it.

1. 1401 S. Driscoll St.
2. 2820 S. Kernan Ave.
3. Any Apartments on Gunn St, Cass St, Briarcliff Dr, Schindler Pl, Kerry Ln, Eastwood Ct, Easthaven Ct, or Edgemere Dr.

Typically, the North side (North of Wisconsin Ave) and South Side (south of the Fox River) are the better parts of the city. The downtown and central areas of Appleton are either borderline slum or too expensive, depending on the location. There is quality living outside of Appleton as well. Neenah is decent, Menasha is not so desirable. Kaukauna isn't too bad, but the funk rolling off that place from the paper mills is rancid. Darboy and Harrison are pretty decent. I'm not too familiar with the living situation in Grand Chute, but its busy as far as commerce.

Good luck. Any other questions about the Apple...IM me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2012 11:49:10 PM EDT by Nightwolf357]
Another thing unless you already knew about it, is that there are a lot of "apartments" that are made that way from a house all through the area. Granted there are some of the standard apartment buildings you find in the big metro areas but not half as many. There is also Oshkosh nearby, Quite a bit happens in this town but then again it is a college town too along with EAA.

If you are comming from a metro area similar to the chicago burbs it will be a bit of a culture shock. Oh a little tip here, you will out yourself easily without knowing it. mainly the biggest clue is the way a town is pronounced. listen to the news and the radio on how to pronouce them properly.

Seems to me that there is a few of us along the hwy 41 route.

Oh almost forgot, if the rental company is strunsee, look for a different place, they suck and are slumlords.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:35:00 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info everyone. Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I had a great trip though. The roads in Wisconsin are amazingly smooth. I don't think I hit one pothole the whole time.

I still have applications out all over Wisconsin, and the Appleton area as well. Hopefully something will come through.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:40:00 AM EDT

Thanks for all the info everyone. Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I had a great trip though. The roads in Wisconsin are amazingly smooth. I don't think I hit one pothole the whole time.

I still have applications out all over Wisconsin, and the Appleton area as well. Hopefully something will come through.

That sucks, but good luck on the next round!
Top Top