Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 8:39:16 PM EDT
I know you lot probably get pounded with questions about getting into mining, and the oil industries, and this is NOT one of those threads.

I'm actually wondering whether any of the members here know anyone involved in the funeral industry in AK. My family has owned and operated two funeral homes here in VA for the past 110 years, but I'm thinking I'd like to see a bit of the world before my old man retires and I need to take over the family business. I've looked at places to go, but I've decided that the only place worth relocating to would be AK.

If anyone has any information please drop me an IM or email if you don't want to respond in the threads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The main one here in Juneau is owned by a company down south, not sure off the top of my head which one, but if needed I can get the info for you. I chit chat with 1-2 of their employees while I'm doing the delivery, most of the employees are transplants from the lower48.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to speak to Scott Janssen, the owner of Evergreen Memorial/Janssen Funeral Homes in Anchorage.  He's always looking for people in the funeral industry wanting to relocate to Alaska.

They have facilities all over the road system, and do a lot of business with the villages.

A quick google will bring up his website.  Good luck!

Wenna
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I'll start there and see what I can come up with. Hoping to relocate in the next 2 years depending on how things go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know how the industry works here in Fairbanks with the winter months. I have heard that if you want to be burried you have to wait until spring when the ground starts to thaw. I would imagine cremation rates are high up here. I have yet to see a hurse in this town.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
They use converted suburbans and expeditions as hearses in a lot of northern states during the winter due to the snow. I know even here locally in VA during bad winters I've seen some using E250 vans as makeshift hearses.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top