Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 1:48:25 PM EDT
I am currently looking for a job near Altoona. I started a new job a few weeks ago and could not stand production/factory type work even though the pay wasn't all that bad. I ended up quitting before I went nuts and am currently umemployed. I previously worked (for 7 years) at a small garage/service station as an inspection mechanic. My main job was taking care of about 30 vans used for hauling school students. Anyone know of anyone in the area who is hiring? Does not have to be in the automotive field, but I definitely will never try factory work again. Just not for me. I also have been looking into attending Penn State Altoona and the local community college. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Go back to school dude!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have family in Altoona and the city seems dead, especially the economy. I'd suggest going to school.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I was raised in Altoona and still have family and friends there.  Of those that did not go to college, a couple of my friends were lucky enough to get decent jobs with the railroad.  Another friend got a good job with the USPS, and my brother works for the electric company.  

Get some education and you will create opportunities for a career not merely employment.  You will probably have to move from Altoona though to take advantage of those opportunites though.  

In the Altoona area, I don't see much opportunity for employment other than Sheetz stores or factory positions.

Good Luck!
Dave
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go back to school dude!

I've been checking it out. I was at Penn Highlands today. They have a 2 year program in Electric Utility Technology. I may check that out further. You have to be approved for it though, as it is sponsored by an energy company. I'd be able to work as a lineman, or at a substation etc...The tuition is really reasonable too. I am going to check out PSU Altoona tomorrow, and the tuition is quite substantial there compared to the community college. We'll see what happens. Let me know when your coming into town.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top