Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 8:42:55 PM EDT
I am flying down next week for a final interview / in person offer, job is in Grenada.

My biggest concern is work for my wife, there does not seem to be many opportunities listed - she is a clinical secretary at a cancer center currently.

Housing in the country seems sparse but I have found a few promising places I would like to go see.

Any general feedback on the area in general?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived in that area 40 years ago and Grenada is the big city in those parts.

I'm afraid my knowledge is pretty limited since I only drive through there these days on my way to Starkville. Pretty sure we have some arfcommers around there who'll chime in.

As I recall, the nicer homes are south of town off 51.

U of M has a medical center in Grenada so maybe she could find something there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By miker84:
I lived in that area 40 years ago and Grenada is the big city in those parts.

I'm afraid my knowledge is pretty limited since I only drive through there these days on my way to Starkville. Pretty sure we have some arfcommers around there who'll chime in.

As I recall, the nicer homes are south of town off 51.

U of M has a medical center in Grenada so maybe she could find something there.
View Quote

Thank you! I appreciate it. It's snowing today with about 3" on the ground already. It's making my decision process a lot easier!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 691:

Thank you! I appreciate it. It's snowing today with about 3" on the ground already. It's making my decision process a lot easier!
View Quote

Lol. Its 34ish here, which is probably a record for this time of year.

Might as well get yourself mentally prepared for August. The heat and humidity is a shock for many.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you coming to Grenada in conjunction with Milwaukee Tool's plans to expand there?

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/04/20/tool-manufacturing-company-add-jobs-mississippi-over-next-eight-years/

As others have said, most small town hospitals around Mississippi are "owned" by one of the 2 large state-wide medical conglomerates headquartered in Jackson, MS:

University of Mississippi Medical Center, and
Baptist Medical Center

https://www.umc.edu/Grenada/Grenada_Home.html

https://www.healthgrades.com/usearch?where=Grenada%2C%20MS&pt=33.783989%2C-89.809853&FacilityType=STAC&distances=25&category=facility&=
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're an outdoorsy type, welcome to Heaven. There is a reservoir at outside Grenada. Lots of hunting and fishing. Whitetails, ducks, geese, dove, squirrel, bass, crappie, catfish, etc.
 The medical industry in MS is surprisingly advanced so I think she will find something fairly quickly.
 Now about the heat, humidity, bugs and snakes.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By miker84:

Lol. Its 34ish here, which is probably a record for this time of year.

Might as well get yourself mentally prepared for August. The heat and humidity is a shock for many.
View Quote
Ive worked in LA and parts of southern MS, as well as Fl in august. It can't be much worse than Ft Meyers in August?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
Are you coming to Grenada in conjunction with Milwaukee Tool's plans to expand there?

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/04/20/tool-manufacturing-company-add-jobs-mississippi-over-next-eight-years/

As others have said, most small town hospitals around Mississippi are "owned" by one of the 2 large state-wide medical conglomerates headquartered in Jackson, MS:

University of Mississippi Medical Center, and
Baptist Medical Center

https://www.umc.edu/Grenada/Grenada_Home.html

https://www.healthgrades.com/usearch?where=Grenada%2C%20MS&pt=33.783989%2C-89.809853&FacilityType=STAC&distances=25&category=facility&=
View Quote
No, this is a different position. Interesting they are growing there also though. Thank you for the hospital information!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
If you're an outdoorsy type, welcome to Heaven. There is a reservoir at outside Grenada. Lots of hunting and fishing. Whitetails, ducks, geese, dove, squirrel, bass, crappie, catfish, etc.
 The medical industry in MS is surprisingly advanced so I think she will find something fairly quickly.
View Quote
I am into outdoor activities as well as riding my KTM 1290. I probably won't do a lot of riding in Jun, Jul, or Aug I would guess but up here It is in my garage stored from late OCT to Mid may on average. We are getting another 5" of snow today / tonight...

The rest of the year should be OK climate wise?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah,  you won't be putting the bike into storage here other than a battery trickier. I'd ride March thru October and even in winter we'll have some 60 degree days. Currently between bikes at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive worked in LA and parts of southern MS, as well as Fl in august. It can't be much worse than Ft Meyers in August?
View Quote

Similar but no breeze.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I am into outdoor activities as well as riding my KTM 1290. I probably won't do a lot of riding in Jun, Jul, or Aug I would guess but up here It is in my garage stored from late OCT to Mid may on average. We are getting another 5" of snow today / tonight...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Once you acclimate, riding in summer isn't so bad unless you get stopped by a train or something. I was riding in mid October a couple of years back but we were having unseasonably hot weather. It was bumping on 100 degrees in October.
 We don't get a lot of ice and snow here so that's not an issue. It does get cold. Down to 20s is common. Single digits maybe every 3-4 years. Below zero about once in 56 years. That's my age and I have seen it once.
 If you're equipped and brave you can pretty much ride year round. I have only been out four times this year but I'm a pussy when its below 50 degrees. Its a tad too cool in the mornings right now. The afternoons are pretty nice but family obligations, work, and rain threats have hampered riding. But its about to turn off nice and I'll ride most days till fall.
   Like Miker84 said, winterizing is pretty much a battery tender. I fill my tank up with E free 87 to inhibit rust but that's it.

Shoot me a PM when you get settled and we'll set up a ride. My BFAM and I are planning doing some weekend bike camping trips. Grenada is definitely a possibility.

Miker84, get another ride. You know you want one.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
   Once you acclimate, riding in summer isn't so bad unless you get stopped by a train or something. I was riding in mid October a couple of years back but we were having unseasonably hot weather. It was bumping on 100 degrees in October.
 We don't get a lot of ice and snow here so that's not an issue. It does get cold. Down to 20s is common. Single digits maybe every 3-4 years. Below zero about once in 56 years. That's my age and I have seen it once.
 If you're equipped and brave you can pretty much ride year round. I have only been out four times this year but I'm a pussy when its below 50 degrees. Its a tad too cool in the mornings right now. The afternoons are pretty nice but family obligations, work, and rain threats have hampered riding. But its about to turn off nice and I'll ride most days till fall.
   Like Miker84 said, winterizing is pretty much a battery tender. I fill my tank up with E free 87 to inhibit rust but that's it.

Shoot me a PM when you get settled and we'll set up a ride. My BFAM and I are planning doing some weekend bike camping trips. Grenada is definitely a possibility.

Miker84, get another ride. You know you want one.

View Quote
Sounds good! Be fun to ride with a local.... THe coldest I have ridden was 18 degrees but in the fall I often head out in the morning when it is below freezing. My favorite (now that I have heated seat and grips on my KTM) days are in the 50's, but have ridden in WV well into the 90's a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Your biggest issue will be where to live. The heat and humidity you will get used to. I have never lived in Grenada so I can't offer any advice. I do hate stopping there for gas when I travel though.
View Quote
Why do you hate stopping there? Busy? Dirty? The people?

I would like to live within about 40 min from Grenada but the schools look better (on paper) in Grenada than many of the outlying areas....
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the help here, just figured I'd update rather than disappearing. I turned down the offer I had in MS and accepted one in SC.

Thanks for all the replies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top