Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 2:37:25 AM EDT
Hello all,

My Sabre Defence XR-15 A2 (20"), is here at long last. So I'll be off-line for an hour or two, preping it for the ranges tonight, more to follow.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Vito's right, we don't want that sort of stuff here.
So either go away,...............................
or
Invite me over

Seriously though
Congrats and have fun
Mark
[
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have just finished the prep work, on the BUIS carrying handle I found that they marked the elevation wheel was marked diferently than I had expected. It's marked 0 to 25, I have set it to 0 plus 1 click, this I assumed to be 100 meter's.

I'd be thankfull for your advice before I go to the range tonight, cheer's in advance.

@ all, I invited anyone who feel's the need to come over to do so. My offer still stand's!!! All of the weapon's that I own will be out for you to use, the only thing that you'll have to pay for is flight, accomodation (pending if you want to sleep on a US army cot in my cellar / sleeping bag's), your range time and ammo. Don't forget the extra medical insurance to have the grin removed before returning to the UK, We don't want the authorities guessing that you'd had mega amount's of fun on your return.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Great news Tony...

pics....vids...?

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
So I'm back from the range's, wearing that cordite after shoot smell. I was there at 19:20hrs and had to wait till 20:30hrs to get on the firing line. Well the range closes at 21:00hrs, so I blapped 60 rnd's down range at 100m. They were all there, not necesary where I would have liked them to have been, but on the paper. The weapon functioned flawlessly,  I have decided in my infinate stupidity that I'm going to master the BUIS before I put a scope on it. Look's like it's going to be a good weapon as even though I wasn't really trying there was a grouping of sort's.

Once I have it sorted I'll post some piccy's for you to admire or even slag off.

I'm a happy troop tonight.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad you like it Tony

Have fun
Mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I was on the range again today, luckily enough my mate Andreas was with me, he is a gunsmith by trade, and has just come off a contractor's job for DOD. Where he was a support person travelling around Germany putting the US Army's small arm's back together for them after they had gone down with problem's. So Andy being Andy stripped my XR15 down and started checking thing's out to find that the carrier key screw's had worked loose. We didn't have the right allen key's (Imperial), to tighten them up so I used one of the other bloke's metric one's just to tighten em up some. Thirty round's later I had to do the same again. Andy told me that the M16's screw's are punched in two place's each, to stop them from moving at all, the only problem being, if the key is damaged and has to be replaced you have to replace the whole bolt carrier. When I got home from the range, I removed the carrier key, cleaned everything and used locktite (blue) nut lock on them to resolve the problem.

The BUIS.

I tried to battle sight zero today, what with the mech problem's that I'd been having, I wasn't at my best.
I couldn't  focus my eye on the front post for long, and had a headache in next to no time. I managed to get it halfway right at the end, but the grouping at 50m wasn't at all impresive.

In the meantime, another mate of mine Richard (ex- US Army & Vietnam vet), had turned up and was slagging me off for shooting so badly. He said that us old git's have to use red dot sight's or telescopic sight's if we want to hit what we are aiming at. So I'm going to do that for the next trip to the range.

I havent really decided what telescopic/red-dot sight I'm going to put on it. I'm open to suggestion's?

Tony  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
but the ACOG junkies will be along shortly...

ANdy

You called??
Acog's not a red dot, it's a 4x optical sight.

For red dots, I really do think they're much of a muchness. Comp M's supposed to be pretty good but I have a Holosight (EoTech) and like it.
Don't use it much though

Mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Hiya Andy,

I'm more for a telescopic sight. mounted directly to the rail and not the carrying handle (for stability).

The ? is do I just take the scope off of the FR8 (Steiner 2,5 - 8 X 36), as it is small, compact and accurate. The ? arrise's what do I put on the FR8, sound's as though I'll have to really consider this one.

I don't have a rich sponsor and most of my saving's went on the XR-15, and what's left also has to feed the beast with ammo, and I don't really want to continue to feed it with the S&B crap ammo that I have been using to date. I rather fancy some of that Gecco.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Got any pics   ? ? ? ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Hiya Steven_uk,

I'll get the piccy's sorted once I'm happy with the weapon and it's performance.

Andy please explain what 'bump fire' is?

Once I have some I'll e-mail em to my best mate from Wales and hopefully he'll post them for me.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have looked at the Bumpfire video, 'COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, If I was to do that on my range I would have serious problems with those range safety people. I may try it one day, but there won't be any evidence i.e. a film

Sorry..

Tony
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I have just fitted the Steiner scope to the XR-15 and bore sighted it provisionally, the only downer is that I now have to wait till thursday to give it a whirl, and see if it makes thing's better.

I decided against a red-dot as I personally believe that they are better on the 16" and under AR's, (just my humble opinion).

Tony
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Update:-

I have now fitted the Steiner 2,5 - 8 X 36 to the weapon
Locktighted the carrier key screw's
Got more ammo

I'm off to the range tonight to have another go, wish me luck.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]
locktight?...you mean staked...

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
locktight?...you mean staked...

Taffy

No I mean Locktight, How does one stake them?.

I had a pretty good night, the telescopic sight did wonder's, from my provisory boresight; I was out -4 in elevation and left 5click's. once I'd dialed that In I started having some fun, trying different type's of ammo.

S&B not to good.
FNM surplus, I got several nice 2 rnd group's with a cm inbetween. Okay.
RWS hunting ammo, were the first two to enter the inner 10 ring.

The XR-15 functioned flawlessly, the shooter was repeatedly set's himself very low standard's which he failed to achieve.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

With a centre-punch or chisel

Mark
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With a centre-punch or chisel

Mark

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=246652
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=259333

Not at all difficult.  Enjoy your Sabre!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Tony
There's a few threads out there in GD all about staking these bolts. Go have a look (if I can find them I'll post them for you)
Basicaly you need to physicaly lock these bolts to prevent them from comming undone. I've used this method of locking many many time in the aviation world and it's a pretty secure locking method. Although it is best suited to slotted bolts which enables positive locking of the bolt it can be used on allen bolts with great succes. You need to deform the metal at 2 or 3 places on the metal surrounding the bolt head adjacent to the bolt head. Locktight is not enough to ensure these bolts do not come undone ....especialy if you are using semi-auto.
(UK AR Gunbuilders correct me if i'm wrong)

Given there was enough room I'd be tempted to wirelock these bolts...the only true locking method. there's no bolt I could not wirelock....I used to teach it.

Taffy

ETA METT-T beat me to it...I'm a slow typer
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Hello to all,

A big thankyou for the good link's that are more than informative, I'll be staking mine in the very near future (in the next couple of hour's). I just need to go shopping first.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I have just sent some piccy's to Taffy to post for me, I hope that you like em.

I don't suffer from insomnia, I have stayed up so that if it eventually stop's snowing I can go out and hopefully shoot a Fox or two. I might just go out any way WTH.

If I get any I'll mail em to Taffy to be posted.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I have just staked those carrier key screw's.

A big thank's to everyone who posted link's with the piccy's for me.

Tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top