Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 1:42:51 PM EDT
Draw a line between Fisher's Island and Plum Island, what is it? It has structures on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Shutter Island.

Seriously, I don't know. Probably part of Plumb Island's facilities but just not labeled on a map.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Great Gull Island according to my chart. Looks like an old gun emplacment on the north end and most likely a Nav aid in the center of the island.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Google map it, or row boat out to it.  Also bring a lantern if its foggy, add to the mood.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Great Gull Island, and little Gull island. The smaller one has a lighthouse.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Great Gull Island according to my chart. Looks like an old gun emplacment on the north end and most likely a Nav aid in the center of the island.

That's it thanks. The name isn't listed on google maps or mapquest.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Plumb Island is for sale right now... if I had the cash I might bid on it....then it could be like my own personal island doctor moreau
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Plumb Island is for sale right now... if I had the cash I might bid on it....then it could be like my own personal island doctor moreau
Link?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
That island looks awesome for exploring. Check it out on google map satellite images. And that 1914 map...very cool. Old ordnance shacks barracks gun turrets general stores a hospital cisterns ...can we go?

But really...is it legal to explore or is it private?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That island looks awesome for exploring. Check it out on google map satellite images. And that 1914 map...very cool. Old ordnance shacks barracks gun turrets general stores a hospital cisterns ...can we go?

It seems to be owned by American Museum of Natural History. From the little reading I have done it's occupied by staff in the Spring and Summer.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With the copious application of napalm and concrete it might be safe to live there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems to be owned by American Museum of Natural History. From the little reading I have done it's occupied by staff in the Spring and Summer.

Its not spring yet.  Arfcom field trip/mass illegal tresspassing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
They charged the American taxpayers $224,000 in 2007 to verify there were no more munitions at the site? I could have done that for a tenth of the price...or for free.

http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/project/newyork/factsh/pdf/ftmichie.pdf
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
https://rc.gsa.gov/ResourceCenter/PRHomePage/loadProperty.do?propId=14024
I'd offer $1000 for it, perhaps in a government boondoggle I could win
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

https://rc.gsa.gov/ResourceCenter/PRHomePage/loadProperty.do?propId=14024

I'd offer $1000 for it, perhaps in a government boondoggle I could win

It seems like a bitch of a facility to secure. I know they would never release it but I'd love to see what they have guarding that site. My neighbor works there as a nurse, she won't talk.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Plum island has a rule you must be able to live there for 48 hour with out leaving if shtf
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not spring yet.  Arfcom field trip/mass illegal tresspassing.

Scuba tanks are filled, they would never see us coming... I mean if we decided to go.

224,000 to remove ammo... What do I need for that job?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
so down for a field trip
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Let's rent a boat, land on the island, and play dumb. Worse comes to worse they politely tell us to leave.

Or we could make fake AT&T IDs, grab some hardhats, clipboards, and pretend we are there to fix something.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Or we could make fake AT&T IDs, grab some hardhats, clipboards, and pretend we are there to fix something.

Don't laugh, we did that (not AT&T though) and drove right into a peacekeeping base in a foreign country- no ID check, just a smile and wave!    Got a lot of strange looks, it was clear they were wondering if we were supposed to be freely wandering thier base....but, of course, nobody bothered to do any follow-up on thier (correct) suspicions!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I hear UPS uniforms work really well too.

Anyone check out camp hero in montauk?

ETA: The east end seems to have some very interesting military history. I was surprised to learn that during the cold war the Westhampton AF base had nuclear weapons.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Subversive Anarchists Invade Island

Newsday April 22, 2011
By Jaye Brown

Ten members of the NY branch of anarchist terrorist organization were arrested after they were found to be trespassing.  Sources close to the investigation state they were found on an environmentally sensitive former Military Installation.  The group was in possession of scuba gear, small boats and other high tech GPS navigation devices which have been linked to other terrorist plots.  Officials don’t know the exact purpose of the group, but state the investigation is ongoing at this time.  The group all bore clothing and items with a strange starburst pattern similar to a pinion gear.  The Government asks that anyone with information please contact the lead investigators at NSA at Ft. Meade Maryland at 201-222-7587.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Subversive Anarchists Invade Island

Newsday April 22, 2011
By Jaye Brown

Ten members of the NY branch of anarchist terrorist organization were arrested after they were found to be trespassing.  Sources close to the investigation state they were found on an environmentally sensitive former Military Installation.  The group was in possession of scuba gear, small boats and other high tech GPS navigation devices which have been linked to other terrorist plots.  Officials don’t know the exact purpose of the group, but state the investigation is ongoing at this time.  The group all bore clothing and items with a strange starburst pattern similar to a pinion gear.  The Government asks that anyone with information please contact the lead investigators at NSA at Ft. Meade Maryland at 201-222-7587.

Green peace shirts it is
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hear UPS uniforms work really well too.

Anyone check out camp hero in montauk?

ETA: The east end seems to have some very interesting military history. I was surprised to learn that during the cold war the Westhampton AF base had nuclear weapons.

I inspected parts of Camp Hero. Radar tower and some housing structures. Pretty cool bunkers and artillery placements. All abandoned.
Damn MONSTEROUS deer too.......
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Green peace shirts it is
I'll rock an Obama shirt for the cause.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Haha...I forgot that Plum Island was referenced in "Silence of the Lambs."

"mentions "Plum Island" as a potential supervised vacation site for Hannibal Lecter as a reward for helping to catch Jame Gumb. He derisively refers to it as "Anthrax Island."

I'm sure all kinds of weird stuff goes on there...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Why not do a booze cruise to Gull Island? Bring some BBQs and see if scientists on the island want to party.

Quoted:

I'm sure all kinds of weird stuff goes on there...
I've always wondered if it isn't exactly what dep agriculture says it is, a place to combat livestock viruses. Just judging from the amount of DHS FPS vehicles always parked at the mainland complex and the ones always parked at the local motel down the road it seems like Plum Island has a decent security force. But there isn't a no fly container surrounding the place so I guess there isn't anything that important on the island.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I've worked on Plum too.  Not nearly as secretive as most people think. Biologic quarantines suck though -
especially if you hunt on dairy farms like I do....  They play with some pretty funky things there. Mostly
hoof and mouth disease (which is not a human pathogen).  When they play with the really nasty stuff (like
Narobi sheep anthrax) they dont let non-essential personnel into biocontainment.  Really nasty stuff is
typically defined as human pathogens
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't get why people are bitching about the lab. It's only BL3 and there are BL4 labs all over the world located right in the middle of some major cities.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Let's rent a boat, land on the island, and play dumb. Worse comes to worse they politely tell us to leave.

When I worked doing telecom installs I was always amazed the sensitive places people would let us into just because we had boxes of wire and a tool belt.  By sensitive I mean areas in hospitals ( like the pharmacy).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top