Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/16/2003 6:03:47 AM EDT
What do you guys think? I lived on the coast from '93 through '02 and rode out every storm that came through, so now that I'm inland this doesn't really bother me. So what's the consensus? Hit or miss?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:10:01 AM EDT
I'm out near Asheville. I don't think there's going to be any problems for me. My only worry is the Hatteras Lighthouse. I hope it makes it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:23:11 AM EDT
they just said its been downgraded to a class 2, looks to be headed for northern coast of NC
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:14:36 AM EDT
CNN advises winds are down to "only" 105 mph.
Somewhat better than it was....

I went through two tropical storms last October in Buxton. The first one was 40-45 mph winds. Hardly noticed the difference except for the rain. The second one had 65-70 mph winds & torrential rain....Always wondered what it would be like to see a hurricane at the beach. After that TS, I have no desire to see anything stronger.

This old mountain boy would have been hauling a** for higher ground about 24 hrs. ago.

Hope the folks on the coast make out all right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:38:23 PM EDT
I'm in Goldsboro.

It's looks like it might be headed my way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:51:10 PM EDT
I was happy to hear that it has been downgraded to category 2. 105 mph sustained winds. I kind of get a kick out of these folks here in Raleigh that are freaking out. I just came home from the grocery store and everyone there had carts full of bottled water, batteries, and canned tuna. On an even funnier note, my roommate is headed down to Wilmington right at this very moment (Don't ask, he's been known to do dumb sh*t).

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:27:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By REAPER2502:
I kind of get a kick out of these folks here in Raleigh that are freaking out. I just came home from the grocery store and everyone there had carts full of bottled water, batteries, and canned tuna.
-REAPER2502

Just wait for some ice or snow, then it's milk and bread.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 3:34:54 PM EDT by REAPER2502]
I was in Raleigh for the last snow-ice storm. We had 7 tall pine trees fall on our house. That wasn't fun. Out of those that hit the house, 5 came through the roof, through the attic, and then through the ceilings. Destroyed the dryer and a couple other kitchen appliances. We had 5 big holes through which you could look out and see the sky. We survived alright, but I still didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Panic spreads quickly at times like these. Mother Nature is going to do what she wants in spite of any preparations we make.

I hope the entire NC crew hunkers down and weathers the storm okay.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:48:46 PM EDT
I just mixed up a couple gallons of gas for the chainsaw...hope I don't have to use it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:27:01 PM EDT
I bought a generator but I'm gonna leave it in the box and return it if it's not needed. Every once in a while I get a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:49:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2003 3:13:30 PM EDT by threefiftynone]
I'm a scumbag electrician. I have a regular paycheck coming in, and make enough on the side to feed my fun habits.

I'm a 36 yo, fatass hospital electrician, with a NC Limited Electrical Contractor's License.... Nothing over 600 volts, or $25,000. Last check I got was for $60.00.

Tonight, my boss asked me if I would be willing to go to another hospital, and help out with any needs that they may have, due to the hurricane. He told me that the guy who signs my checks offered any and all of his fellow Administrators to assist in the cleanup effort. I would be paid 40 hours a week, at my regular salary, for my effort.

I jumped at the offer. I offered to work for free, or just pay me out of my accrued vacation time.... Gone 40 hours, lose 40 hours, just like I was on vacation... Or give me nothing, just let me give back a little something...

If you're game, I'm sure you can get paid, somehow, even if it's just a good feeling in your heart. If you need cash, I'll split my check with you.

I just got off the phone with the big man in the Engineering Dept of Carteret General(I didn't get his name, he seemed somewhat busy??? He's got my home phone #, and my pager#,). I let him know that I would work on anything they needed, and I have a free place to stay, about 5 miles from the Hospital.

My sister in law works at his horsepistol. Yes, he asked her name, and what she did there. When I gave him her name, he didn't need to know what her position was. She's important.... I'm just an electrician. But she's the best cook I know. 3 data CD's full of original recipes....

(252) 808-6000.... Tell them you want to help. Tell them your area of expertise, even if is just picking up trash. That's what I volunteered for. I volunteered 2 4WD pickups, and a pair od 036 Stihls, and the manpower to run 'em......

Let me know if you need some help.

I'm game.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2003 3:44:55 PM EDT by entropy]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:42:50 PM EDT
Hang on tight Entropy!!!! I'm northwest of you in Raleigh. Winds have picked up somewhat. We're just hanging out watching the Weather Channel.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:54:13 AM EDT
Starting to crank up now. 35 sustained, gusts to 50 here.

Pine needle and cones flying everywhere!!!!

Best of luck to all my fellow tarheels!

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:55:31 PM EDT
Does anyone here REALLY GIVE A FUCK about anyone but themselves?

Have we ever got together to do anything besides trade money or a rifle?

I'm guilty, too.

I got my dead ass out of bed at 10pm last night, SS&S'ed, & drove almost an hour to work.

Did my 8 hours, came home, took the "latest stray" to the Vet for spaying, went grocery shopping, put all that shit up, called the saw shop and asked if they could do a "100 hour" check on my saw (and sharpen 4 chains.."PLEASE"??? How soon can I get it done? I'm leaving to go East tomorrow morning), did a thorough cleaning of the saw, installed the last new chain I had in prep for going East. Tim at the saw shop wanted me to prep it as much as I could, so they could get me out as fast as they could.

I carried on with Tim for a little bit. He was asking about my upcomng weekend. Long story short, I never asked for a price. He told me that a 100 hour checkup and 4 chain sharpenings would cost me exactly $0.00. Zero. Nada......

I hate to see the price on the 6 pack of oil....

I pulled the chain and bar off, cleaned the bar, and threw the chain in the "to be sharpened" bag. The bar is spotless, now. The air filter was washed and dried. The rest of the saw was scraped and blown off. That's about the extent of my knowledge of chainsaw maintenaince.

If anyone has further knowledge, LMK!!! Especially if you know something about tuning a carb on a Stihl.

I spent an hour on the saw, just to get it ready to take to the Dealer for a quick service.

Then I mowed the yard, since it won't get done for a week, or so.

If you see a old blue Chevy going east, just remember that the driver and crew may be heavily armed.

High speed, and definately "High Drag", due to all the shit we're hauling.

We will be hauling a bunch of tools, and some attitude.

Rock On!

Tim

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:10:46 PM EDT
Winds have gusted to about 50 mph in Raleigh. That's the highest I've seen reported here. I had to work today....we were open 'til about 3 and closed up. The drive back home was a bear. Driving wind and trees down, some localised flooding. I have checked in with my friends in Wilmington, everything is okay so far. Apparently, the storm is beginning to subside. We've had very little damage, but folks up the road had heavy damamge done by falling trees.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:25:35 PM EDT
not a damn thing happend in Clemson
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:45:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:
not a damn thing happend in Clemson

Wasn't too bad here in Goldsboro.

Roadrunner went offline at around 1200. Power went out at around 1300, cranked up generator soon after (5500 watts of comfort).

Suprising enough DirecTV pulled through and only sputtered a few times.

The power is still out but roadrunner is back up. the trailer suffered no damage. I gots the AC cranked up and I'm enjoying a Beam and Coke and checking out AR15.COM.

I did get many inquiries as to my plans, including a call from my Commander <LTC>. I had to ensure him that if things really looked bad I would run for shelter ASAP.

Ain't nothing but a "wind and rain" thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:00:35 PM EDT
We got by alright. Folks up the street have major damage from a fallen tree. Went to work this morning only to find we had no power. It eventually came back on.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:18:43 PM EDT

Sorry this is a little after the fact, just got phone line back. Been here on the coast (50 feet from the water) for ten years now and this was by far the worst hurricane I've seen. Winds weren't too bad, in the 70+ range but the storm surge had to be seen to be believed. At noon the water was hitting the bulkhead, by one, it was four feet deep in the yard. The neighbor's dock broke loose and drifted into the back of the house, caving in the back wall of the garage. The next wave pushed the car through the front door. And our damage was relatively light.

Boats, jet skis, gas tanks, whole decks with BBQ grills still upright, even two detached garages floated by during the next hour. It was completely surreal. As soon as the wind swung around to the NW, the water was gone as fast as it arrived.

This will be one to tell the grandkids.
Top Top