Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 8:53:40 AM EDT
I took one of my pistols (Taurus) to sell through a consignment to a dealer near me, so I asked him do you charge any fees if I change my mind or I don't accept someones offer, or simply no one buys it,

He said no but you have to go through a background check and pay $10.00 to get it back, I thought wow I have to pay the gov to get my own gun back? is this true has anyone heard of this?

It's not that big a deal but just turns you off.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It would make sense.  If it's not the law, it might just be a wise choice on the part of the store's owners/managers.

I believe that when you give a firearm to a shop to sell on consignment, they are taking it into their inventory.

If the shop has it for a month or two, and in that time the owner did something that takes away their legal right to own a firearm, there would be the risk of transfering a weapon to someone who is not legally permitted to possess one, thereby breaking the law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This procedure has been in practice since atleast the late 90's, when selling on consignment. I've experience it twice after 1996 myself, it's not really a big deal, just be glad you're not a resident of NJ, NY, CA, or any of those other states which makes gun ownership and possession more difficult than what we experience here in PA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It's Federal Regulation.

An FFL. can't just let a Gun "HangOut" at his business.
They have to log it in.

So whether it sells or he gives it back to you , it's considered a Transfer ,
thus the NICS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for bringing that point out I thought the same thing myself, it just seemed a little odd to me at first but I can see the reason also, as I said it's not a big deal to me either just struck my ego you know, what I got to pay for permission to get my property back, oh ok I see now well once it sells I am going to buy either a Hi Power or another CZ. maby another AR to keep my RRA company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top