Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:53:40 AM EDT
I took one of my pistols (Taurus) to sell through a consignment to a dealer near me, so I asked him do you charge any fees if I change my mind or I don't accept someones offer, or simply no one buys it,

He said no but you have to go through a background check and pay $10.00 to get it back, I thought wow I have to pay the gov to get my own gun back? is this true has anyone heard of this?

It's not that big a deal but just turns you off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
It would make sense. If it's not the law, it might just be a wise choice on the part of the store's owners/managers.

I believe that when you give a firearm to a shop to sell on consignment, they are taking it into their inventory.

If the shop has it for a month or two, and in that time the owner did something that takes away their legal right to own a firearm, there would be the risk of transfering a weapon to someone who is not legally permitted to possess one, thereby breaking the law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:42:26 PM EDT
This procedure has been in practice since atleast the late 90's, when selling on consignment. I've experience it twice after 1996 myself, it's not really a big deal, just be glad you're not a resident of NJ, NY, CA, or any of those other states which makes gun ownership and possession more difficult than what we experience here in PA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:19:10 PM EDT
It's Federal Regulation.

An FFL. can't just let a Gun "HangOut" at his business.
They have to log it in.

So whether it sells or he gives it back to you , it's considered a Transfer ,
thus the NICS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:16 PM EDT
Thanks for bringing that point out I thought the same thing myself, it just seemed a little odd to me at first but I can see the reason also, as I said it's not a big deal to me either just struck my ego you know, what I got to pay for permission to get my property back, oh ok I see now well once it sells I am going to buy either a Hi Power or another CZ. maby another AR to keep my RRA company.
Top Top