User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:44:29 PM EDT
What happened?
Why This Happened
More Information
How Can I help?

California Attorney General Bill Lockyer hasn’t updated the
official list of banned assault weapons in over five years.

Inaction by Attorney General Bill Lockyer – despite his public antigun stance – has allowed approximately 11,000 new unlisted AK47 and AR15 “series” firearm frames to be legally purchased in California since December. This number is growing by thousands every month.
These frames are being built into legal, operational firearms differing from banned assault weapons only by make and model name, and the lack of a 99-cent plastic pistol grip.

http://www.lockyersguns.com/index.html
Weapons like these are currently flooding the California firearms market.

Tell Bill Lockyer to get busy and keep the assault
weapons list current.    Call him at 1-800-952-5225 !

This presentation was brought to you by a grassroots coalition of Californians concerned over Attorney General Lockyer’s lack of action in these matters. Contact us at   [email protected]

here is the sitesite
Gave me a laugh.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
We want a new list.
We don't want new legislation.

If we make too big a deal out of this some politician is going to make a project out of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, I wonder where they get those 99 cent plastic grips?

Probably the same place they get their information.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We want a new list.

I dunno about that....It's kind of weird that we're wanting more gun restrictions so we can own guns
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
some guy at calguns.net was asking for pistol grip pictures...
maybe this is why...he was being secretive about things...

if this is a website designed to quicken the legislative process so that he could register his AR and remove his fixed mag, he's screwing people out there who are still looking for lowers...

i'd rather wait this out than to force the state legislature's hand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually agree with BLUE.  I have the unpopular beleif that I don't think these things should ever be listed.  I'll personally build it up to existing laws and be happy with a top loader.  Out of state trips for magdumps, but I'm more of a bench shooter.

If I'm forced to register it them, I will, but I'd rather not.  My point is the louder we yell about the list being updated, the more likely someone might actually hear us and give us more than we bargained for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
"This presentation was brought to you by a grassroots coalition of Californians concerned over Attorney General Lockyer’s lack of action in these matters."

....... riiiiiiiight

Domain name: LOCKYERSGUNS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Wiese Jr., W. M.  EDITED@******.org

I'm real suprised.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
This has been gone over several times, on ARFCOM and Calguns. Bill is a good guy, so lets not give him flak for this effort.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi guys.
All I can say is
(1) we hope it works
(2) it won't make things worse.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
No doubt he is a good person and has worked hard for us.  We all appreciate it, and if I ever meet him, the beers are on me for what he has already done.  That doesn't mean everyone is going to walk in lock step with him in every decision he makes.  Some of us are just unsure of or in outright disagreement with his new strategy.  No one is going to stop him from doing what he is legally allowed and entitled to do.  But we also are entitled to our own opinions and to express them.  After all this is strategy for our own rights and discussion is a good thing, even though his mind was already made up long ago and nothing we can say or do will change it.

Personally, I am unsure-doubtful of his new strategy.  Meaning, I don't know how it will turn out, but am leaning toward doubting it working.  With the press releases thing I feel about 4 to 1 odds of turning out negative vs. turning out positive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
some guy at calguns.net was asking for pistol grip pictures...
maybe this is why...he was being secretive about things...

if this is a website designed to quicken the legislative process so that he could register his AR and remove his fixed mag, he's screwing people out there who are still looking for lowers...

Um, there's only a limited time window.  Things need to start moving _now_.

i'd rather wait this out than to force the state legislature's hand.

We're not trying to force the leg's hand.  We're trying to force Lockyer's hand in an election year.

Bill W
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hi guys.
All I can say is
(1) we hope it works
(2) it won't make things worse.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

aww jeez... well, you're not going to stop and the ball is already rolling so the wise thing to do would be to unite and do it your way.  If we are all divided we have no chance.  I hope it works too.  Starting tomorrow, I will get myself and much of my family (a quite large extended one) to start calling Lockyer over the next couple weeks to nag him to update the list.  If you have any other ideas to help implement this strategy, let us know.

After thinking about it, I do like this website better than the press releases.  It directs readers directly to nag Lockyer which is what we need.  The press releases thing was not good.  You can't get the information you want out in a press release like you can on the website -- the good stuff on the More Info page that clearly puts the heat and blame on Lockyer and takes it off the Legislators (who, if they felt blamed, would quickly write and hammer through new, tough laws to avoid permanent damage).

The press releases, on the other hand, don't leave the reader with the feeling of blame for Lockyer, but more for the legislators for writing horrible swiss cheese laws.  No one is going to call Lockyer after reading the press release.  The anti-gunners who feel strongly will be the only ones responding to press releases, and they will call/write their LEGISLATORS (very NOT good - it awakens and empowers them), not Lockyer.  I guess it's not the overall strategy (putting the heat on Lockyer) that I have a problem with, so much as the original method for doing it (press releases -- misses their target and hits the exact one we don't want IMO).

Perhaps we should also extend a carrot to Lockyer?  Do your job and there may be campaign contributions in it for you.  Nothing illegal there, he's just doing the job he's taken a sworn oath to do and we're all just so happy with the great job he is doing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]
As it turns out the press releases had zero effect.

They were one of the thousands that newspapers get everyday.  

Now, we need to get these banner ads for the website into various web media.

I have no idea if this will succeed.  I just know we have to try SOMETHING.

Bill W
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#13]
For anyone who's thinking that it would be best if this didn't go to the media TOO LATE, we've already spoken to the DOJ and they are going to go to the media to inform the public of the update.  We have NOTHING to lose now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Send a link to the Brady bunch.  Odd bedfellows.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The pic of the AR on the front page doesn't display.

Windows XP, IE, INTEL, DELL laptop and desktop
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
im not sure if i would rather have unlimited AR receivers or a few good un neutered AR15's?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The pic of the AR on the front page doesn't display.
Windows XP, IE, INTEL, DELL laptop and desktop

Yes my web design dude is looking for "the right picture". It'll happen soon.

Bill W
San JOSe
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For anyone who's thinking that it would be best if this didn't go to the media TOO LATE, we've already spoken to the DOJ and they are going to go to the media to inform the public of the update.  We have NOTHING to lose now.

Inform the media of what "update"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When they update the list, they say they will inform the media.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's completely different than what shopkeep just said.  Maybe one of you could point me in the direction of the DOJ's actual words?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's completely different than what shopkeep just said.  Maybe one of you could point me in the direction of the DOJ's actual words?

?

"For anyone who's thinking that it would be best if this didn't go to the media TOO LATE, we've already spoken to the DOJ and they are going to go to the media to inform the public of the update. We have NOTHING to lose now."

He is referring to updating the Kasler list.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The DOJ is legally required to make at least some limited publicity moves whenever AWs are added to the lists - either due to legislation updating the Roberti-Roos list  (CCR 979.10) , a 12276.5 court add-on petition to add new items to the Roberti-Roos list (979.10) , or the DOJ itself adding new series members to the Kasler list (CCR 979.11)

It'll probably be near-free public service ads (PSAs) on the Mexican horserace cartoon channel at 2AM, along with some posters at gunshops and shooting ranges - kinda like the 50BMG reg materials & publicity brochures.  

While this is indeed 'publicity' it will be rather quiet to the outside world, and will be couched in terms that the DOJ is vigilantly doing its job.

That will likely happen a couple of weeks before the list is formally updated.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top