Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:04:04 AM EST
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-9-side-loading-havoc-launcher-p-397.html

Is this legal in NY to attach to an AR?

I don't find anything in the laws that say it isn't (after all, it's clearly less dangerous than a bayonet lug)....

I emailed Spike's and they said it's legal... but i hate to take legal advice from people who have a vested interest in it being legal or no sale...

And before someone asks why i want/need it....

Yes, i know it is shameful to buy a attachment simply because it reminds you of your old M203, but i like the way it looks...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:04:50 AM EST
perfectly legal. you run into federal issues if you buy anything that isn't a flare or smoke grenade though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:40:16 AM EST
I probably won't even buy those, but i guess it's silly to own a gun and have nothing to shoot with it...
Thanks...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:29:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1969iggy:
I probably won't even buy those, but i guess it's silly to own a gun and have nothing to shoot with it...
Thanks...

flares and smokes are pretty cool from what i've seen on video. different colors and shit. I'd buy one if i had the cash just cuz they look cool. you just can't buy beehive rounds or anything like that, cuz it makes it a DD.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:54:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By shiky:
perfectly legal. you run into federal issues if you buy anything that isn't a flare or smoke grenade though.

Non-USCG approved signaling devices might be classified as fireworks and MAY be illegal on their own.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:39:13 PM EST
chalk rounds are illegal

do not use them

I wouldn't know what they do

because I said so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:53:26 PM EST
They even make 37mm chalk?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:00:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 3:01:22 PM EST by RabidMonkeyPox]
Originally Posted By emsjeep:

yes. ammunition to go used to sell them till the ATF said that when they are used in a 37mm it reclassifies the flare launcher to an unregistered AOW and they stopped selling them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:31:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:

yes. ammunition to go used to sell them till the ATF said that when they are used in a 37mm it reclassifies the flare launcher to an unregistered AOW and they stopped selling them.

They actually agreed to stop selling something. I'm surprised I haven't seen depleted uranium on that site yet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:38:38 PM EST
Everything is illegal in NY. That's why I left for the Gunshine State.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:41:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:

They actually agreed to stop selling something. I'm surprised I haven't seen depleted uranium on that site yet.

I wouldn't say agreed. More like something could go bad might cut this horse off before we enter into the bullshit race.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:33:55 PM EST
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-9-side-loading-havoc-launcher-p-397.html

Is this legal in NY to attach to an AR?

I don't find anything in the laws that say it isn't (after all, it's clearly less dangerous than a bayonet lug)....

I emailed Spike's and they said it's legal... but i hate to take legal advice from people who have a vested interest in it being legal or no sale...

And before someone asks why i want/need it....

Yes, i know it is shameful to buy a attachment simply because it reminds you of your old M203, but i like the way it looks...

FWIW: Having met in person several of Spike's staff on multiple occasions, I'm comfortable with their knowledge.
If you're making a product to sell you'd damn well better know what a go and what's a no-go; they do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:55:19 AM EST
I may be divorced when the wife sees this... :)

Now i have to figure out how to mount it on my rifle, or buy an upper that will mount it... I have an extra lower ready to build.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:46:44 AM EST
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these for a very long time. I have been aware it's legal but have been scared to run into a state trooper or dec guy with it though. Anyone have experience running into a state trooper with one of these or even a pre ban lower? Do they know anything about gun laws or do they arrest first and sort things out later?

Btw - fuck NY
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:21:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 7:45:16 PM EST by emsjeep]
Originally Posted By Aeschylus:
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these for a very long time. I have been aware it's legal but have been scared to run into a state trooper or dec guy with it though. Anyone have experience running into a state trooper with one of these or even a pre ban lower? Do they know anything about gun laws or do they arrest first and sort things out later?

Btw - fuck NY

Could be any one of those or an ARFCom member, no way to tell on whole. As a gun owner you're a target, the best anyone can say is that the law regarding the device is on your side. My opinion on the ammunition is something different but rather minor...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:11:12 PM EST

I may be divorced when the wife sees this... :)

Now i have to figure out how to mount it on my rifle, or buy an upper that will mount it... I have an extra lower ready to build.

And we need to find you a place to test it out
Top Top