Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:26 PM EDT
I always wanted to take the tour but I've heard rumors it went to San Diego. I'm going to Seattle tomorrow and I cant find any info on the web about it being moved. There's plenty of sites giving info about the sub but nothing to substantiate the rumor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:06 PM EDT
You better head south about 1200 miles....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20050608-9999-m1m08carmelv.html

June 8, 2005

CARMEL VALLEY – Strike up a conversation with Carmel Valley resident Jon Fleming and he may casually mention that he recently bought a submarine.

He's not talking about a rinky-dink vessel. He's talking about a 300-foot-long Soviet Foxtrot-class sub nicknamed Cobra, which now belongs to Legacy Cobra San Diego, of which Fleming is a principal owner.

Fleming spearheaded the process of financing the submarine with other local investors and bringing it to San Diego for display.

It was curiosity, as well as the tease of a successful business opportunity, that drove Fleming to pursue such an unusual purchase.

"I viewed it as being interesting," he said. "I saw the viability of the submarine as a public exhibit."

Fleming's brother was part of the original group of investors from Vancouver who bought the B-39 attack submarine from the Russian Navy and towed it to Vancouver Island for display in 1996.

At that time, Fleming toyed with the idea of bringing it to San Diego, but the timing wasn't ideal, so he put the plan on hold and closed the company he had formed to organize the submarine's arrival.

The submarine changed ownership and was moved to Seattle in 2002. In late 2003, the new owner's general manager – Stan Sherman, who negotiated the purchase of the sub from the Russians in 1996 – called Fleming with a business proposal.

"Initially, I wasn't so excited, but then they said they would sell it at a very reasonable price," Fleming said.

He opened up discussion with the Port of San Diego and the Maritime Museum, and after 18 months of negotiations and preparation, the purchase was completed.

Cobra was towed 1,250 miles from Seattle to San Diego. The trip took eight days at an average speed of 7 1/2 knots, Fleming said. Although the sub took a bit of a beating from severe weather during its journey, the damage was repaired and the sub was opened for display at the Maritime Museum May 28.

So how much does it cost to purchase a submarine used in the Cold War?

"Less than a million dollars," Fleming said.

Fleming first saw this vessel in a dry dock in Russia 10 years ago.

Although the exact missions of Cobra are shrouded in secrecy and remain confidential to the new Navy of the Russian Federation, it is known that Foxtrots were used for surveillance of the United States Navy.

The diesel electric sub now rests near its former adversary, the USS Midway.

"You can go to the control room in this sub and peer through the exact periscope that the Russian captain, second rank, would have looked through at the USS Midway, which was exactly what he would have been doing when it was operating out of Vladivostok and intercepting Midway," said Ray Ashley, executive director of the Maritime Museum. "That's just an amazing and profound opportunity.

"It's very likely that this Foxtrot submarine spent a significant amount of time outside San Diego collecting the acoustic signatures of all of the Navy ships that operated in and out of San Diego Bay."

In its prime, this type of sub carried a crew of 78 and could dive to 985 feet. Sailors split their time among duty, maintenance and sleep, existing in a dark, isolated world for up to three months at a time.

Visitors to the museum can explore the submarine and get a taste of this unusual lifestyle. But the claustrophobic might want to keep their feet on dry land.

"The interior of it is so unusual," said Fleming. "Tight quarters, small spaces."

Fleming admits the idea of purchasing another submarine occasionally floats through his head.

"I may pursue more of this in the future," he said. "Maybe an American submarine."

Entrance to the submarine is included with regular Maritime Museum admission. The museum is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.

For more information, call (619) 234-9153 or go to
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
Toured this boat when it was in Vancouver a number of years ago. I had, shortly before that, toured the Bowfin, a WWII U.S. sub on display in Honolulu. I found it interesting that the finish and detail work of the old U.S. sub was better than that of the later Russian. It had really crude finishing, insulation, etc. It was also much more cramped and designed for much smaller sailors. It was very interesting and cool, given its mission and all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:25:48 PM EDT
Good riddance.

Only in Seattle would the kpmmie pinko faggots protest an American sub but spend money with the enemy to buy a sub from them and then bring it here to make money from it.

I hope the pinko fuckers get lead or radiation poisoning from it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 9:48:36 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Originally Posted By CavVet:
Good riddance.

Only in Seattle would the kpmmie pinko faggots protest an American sub but spend money with the enemy to buy a sub from them and then bring it here to make money from it.

I hope the pinko fuckers get lead or radiation poisoning from it.

Hmm, I didn't think about it that way. You've got a point there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:01:39 PM EDT

Well, I hope admitting it doesn't make me a kpmmie, but I toured that sub when it was still in town.

Pretty damn interesting, but it sure made me glad I wasn't one of Ivan's submariners. Imagine hopping inside a Chevette - scratch that, a Russian copy of a Chevette - and heading down a couple hundred feet underwater. Whatever else you want to say about them, those poor fuckers had some sand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:44:26 PM EDT

If a commie business in Seattle (or Canada) buys something from Russia, the level of capitalism increases in both places!! Since when is CavVet an anti-capitalist!?!? Say it ain't so!!! I attribute it to too much over the last few months.

That sub is a trophy of our Cold War victory over the evil empire. Touring it ranks right up there with being able to "hear the lamentations of the women."

Granted, at least San Diego has enough sense not to protest US subs--since they already live there!! In Seattle the closest US subs are something like 40,000 yards away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:07:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CarbineMonoxide:

If a commie business in Seattle (or Canada) buys something from Russia, the level of capitalism increases in both places!! Since when is CavVet an anti-capitalist!?!? Say it ain't so!!! I attribute it to too much over the last few months.

I think you missed the conjunctive tie.

kommie pinkos protest

Think irony.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:08:23 PM EDT
Ahem,, Freemont
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By STRATIOTES:
Ahem,, Freemont www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/wa/WASEAlenin02.jpg

Fremont.

As far as I know that's a privately owned statue placed on private property.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:54:48 AM EDT
http://www.sdmaritime.com/ContentPage.asp?ContentID=9

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:22 AM EDT
Link above shows Seattle protests of American subs.

Pic above shows commie flag at Seattle waterfront making money.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:07:38 AM EDT
Here's the thing, CavVet - I'd be willing to bet that not a one of the Sandalistas protesting the boomers at SeaFair ever took the tour of the Russian boat. If you tried to hand them a free ticket, they'd say something like, "too much negative energy, man."

Heck, you and them hippies could join hands, and both shake your fists together, at the bad old Russian sub. Well, you'd be shaking your fist - the hippies would probably just wag their fingers.

But the folks who actually took the tour are likely vets themselves, or students of history or what have you. I'm with the previous post - the boat is a trophy, albeit it one purchased from some damn Canadians. And better a Russian sub open for tours in Seattle than a Los Angeles class boat up on blocks outside the Kremlin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:41:20 AM EDT
Looks like a great way to spend the afternoon next time I visit San Diego!!!

Visiting the USS Midway and the Cobra.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:09:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By migradog:
Looks like a great way to spend the afternoon next time I visit San Diego!!!

Visiting the USS Midway and the Cobra.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/borderguy/Midway.jpg

So you know, the Midway is at a different Museum than that Russian Foxtrot.

The article above is somewhat misleading. They're pretty close to each other, but they are seperate museums.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:44:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:47:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:30:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DirtyBird:
Heck, you and them hippies could join hands, and both shake your fists together, at the bad old Russian sub. Well, you'd be shaking your fist - the hippies would probably just wag their fingers.

I dont shake my fist, I usually shake my head. Usually at those who claim to be Americans, but seem to have the same standards as the 60's hippies.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:10:53 PM EDT

I dont shake my fist, I usually shake my head. Usually at those who claim to be Americans, but seem to have the same standards as the 60's hippies.

You're a better man than me, CV. I usually wind up waving. With one finger.

Remember the protests outside Bangor - the protestors trying to block the tracks of the train delivering nuclear material to the sub base? I was just a kid back then, but that always used to cheese me off. Lots of stupid people in the world.
Top Top