Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:45:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 6:46:11 AM EDT by Hartmann]
For the next PR I need some decent shooting .308 that won't bankrupt me. I'd like to get 500 rds of loose Lake City stuff. Ammoman has it for $159 shipped but I don't know if it'll get here in time (can't buy until my next paycheck ).

Have any of you gone to Outdoor Marksman in Salem and bought/picked up ammo there? How does it work, do you reserve/pay ahead of time and pick it up? Or something else?

Or is there a cheap place closer to PDX? I went to Bimart last time but they only had expensive-ish stuff...too much for my blood.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Hart
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:57:55 AM EDT
Isnt there a show in Hillsburito on the 1-2 of April?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:21:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:21 AM EDT

Surprised you did not throw in your usual blurb to stay away from the Indian stuff

Yeah I kinda figured that ... I have about 200 rds of Portugese left that is really unreliable...about 1 rd in 20 doesn't fire! I can't believe their military would rely on that crap.

Ammoman has a good deal but it takes about 10 days to get here (too late for PR if I buy 3/31). OM is far, but I'd go there, except they're showing NO Lake City/other cheap ammo in stock...I'll call 'em today and see if they'll be at this Hillsboro gun show -- I hadn't heard of it before (thanks Cape!)

If not I may be stuck using the Portagee stuff...well at least I'll get a lot of practice on the Type 1 malf clearances... But at least I don't have to duct-tape my sights this time
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:10 AM EDT

Outdoor Marksman has not had any Lake City .308 for about two years now. The last I shot of it was two summers ago.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:22:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hartmann:

Surprised you did not throw in your usual blurb to stay away from the Indian stuff

Yeah I kinda figured that ... I have about 200 rds of Portugese left that is really unreliable...about 1 rd in 20 doesn't fire! I can't believe their military would rely on that crap.

Ammoman has a good deal but it takes about 10 days to get here (too late for PR if I buy 3/31). OM is far, but I'd go there, except they're showing NO Lake City/other cheap ammo in stock...I'll call 'em today and see if they'll be at this Hillsboro gun show -- I hadn't heard of it before (thanks Cape!)

If not I may be stuck using the Portagee stuff...well at least I'll get a lot of practice on the Type 1 malf clearances... But at least I don't have to duct-tape my sights this time

If you CALL OM they will bring what you want, but they do not bring a lot of inventory to the Hillsboro show. I've called several times and they have brought up what I needed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:01 AM EDT
Worst mistake I ever made was to combine a Century G3 clone and Indian ammo.....

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:45 AM EDT
The drive isent really that bad there.. one thing you need to keep in mind is that it is in an industral complex and in the back at that if you do go make sure you call in advance and get derections as well as make sure they are there...

the bigest thing is making sure they are there as i have made the drive only to find a cloused up shop on a normal busniss day due to a gunshow..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:09:25 PM EDT

Worst mistake I ever made was to combine a Century G3 clone and Indian ammo.....

Sounds like an interesting story. Care to share? And do you have pics?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 12:43:55 PM EDT by Hartmann]
I just called Outdoor Marksman...they have a container of SA 308 on the way but it won't make it in time for the Hillsboro show. But a very nice arfcommer has set me up so I should be OK for PR. Thanks for the info all.

Unkaboo I'm still waiting for the story on that Indian ammo...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 3:50:15 PM EDT by GackMan]
the guys at surplusammo.com had some .308 battle packs at really good prices. I didn't hit the gun show this time so I don't know how much they have.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:14:27 PM EDT
Plenty of SA .308
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:20:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nwammoguy:
Plenty of SA .308

Details please.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:34:32 PM EDT
Hartman: For the next PR I need some decent shooting .308 that won't bankrupt me. I'd like to get 500 rds of loose Lake City stuff. Ammoman has it for $159 shipped but I don't know if it'll get here in time (can't buy until my next paycheck ).

Beware that Lake City .308 uses a copper washed/steel bullet. Since steel bullets damage the
targets at Practical Rifle, you will get DQ'ed using this ammo.

SA .308, on the other hand, uses a FMJ bullet that contains no steel. This is great ammo!
Bring it to the match and prepare to wow all the poodle poppers with it's power.

Spambo
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:39:54 PM EDT

Beware that Lake City .308 uses a copper washed/steel bullet

is right! Thanks for the heads up! Turns out I'll be getting some SA for the next match anyway so I should be good to go. But I'm glad I didn't have to find out the hard way!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:12:15 PM EDT by ConcernedCitizen]
I think the Portuguese also has a copper washed steel or bi-metal jacket.

I think that South African and Australian (if you can find any) are probably the best way to go for the matches.

ETA: Stay away from the loose packed TZ-80 (old IMI) ammo, as well. Ask me how I know...

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT

Stay away from the loose packed TZ-80 (old IMI) ammo, as well. Ask me how I know

OK, how did you know?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:32:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hartmann:

Stay away from the loose packed TZ-80 (old IMI) ammo, as well. Ask me how I know

OK, how did you know?

The FAL Files

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:30:34 PM EDT
Whoa. I couldn't tell from the FAL files thread, but were you the shooter? Did you go home missing any body parts?

I'm not even sure the Portagee stuff I have is all that good. 1 FTF in 20 is piss poor IMHO. And I'll check it for steel in the bullet when I get home. I'll be sure to use SA or other recommended stuff from now on.

Thanks again for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:20:06 PM EDT
Yeah, I was shooting the rifle when it happened.

I have a small scar at the base of my index finger on my left hand, from when the barrel separated from the receiver.

I have an even better scar on my right forearm, where I was hit by the bolt carrier. There is a perfect outline of the rat tail from the bolt carrier stretching down towards my elbow.

Otherwise, I walked away unharmed. Was in good enough shape to take the time to help my friends pack the guns up, and pick up any pieces we could find. Even drove myself to the hospital. Still have both eyes and all my fingers, so I consider myself VERY lucky.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT
Very very lucky indeed. Glad you or anyone else didn't get seriously injured.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:14:52 PM EDT
IIRC Outdoor Marksman charges higher prices at the Salem store vs. the Internet.

Given gas at $2.50 a gallon, I think I'd just pay the man in the Big Brown Truck to drop it off.
(What's your time worth?)
Top Top