Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:14:54 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting a FFL. I have already found shop space and can satisfy all the requirements to be a FFL.

But I know Iowa is not a NFA state, but individual officers can buy SBRs and suppressors so I want to set up as a SOT if it's possible. Are there any additional requirements in Iowa beyond submitting the application and paying the SOT tax?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting a FFL. I have already found shop space and can satisfy all the requirements to be a FFL.

But I know Iowa is not a NFA state, but individual officers can buy SBRs and suppressors so I want to set up as a SOT if it's possible. Are there any additional requirements in Iowa beyond submitting the application and paying the SOT tax?
View Quote

Nah, can't do it, septictank13 already tried  (yes)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
don't bother asking atf.  just do it.  send in your paperwork and be done with it.  you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
don't bother asking atf.  just do it.  send in your paperwork and be done with it.  you'll be fine.
View Quote

Another question. If I decide not to renew the SOT one year, do I keep suppressors and SBRs that I have in inventory like other states?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Another question. If I decide not to renew the SOT one year, do I keep suppressors and SBRs that I have in inventory like other states?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you cannot keep weapons in your possession that the law disallows in your state.  while atf may not hound you about it, your county attorney would after they are notified, as you'd be in violation of 724.1 of iowa code.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In other States that allow NFA items you don't need to be a SOT to acquire suppressors, SBR, SBS or DD as normal citizens are trusted to own them without the need of being an 03FFL/SOT.  Pre-May 86 machine guns are allowed to be kept after an FFL drops his SOT but once again that only pertains to States that citizens are allowed to privately own them.  Feel free to ask any other questions.
View Quote

Well that changes my plans dramatically. Especially since ATF could declare a "clerical error" at anytime and not renew my FFL and then I have to take a hit on my entire NFA inventory. Amazing that Iowa has open carry with permit but still isn't a NFA state, talk abut contradictions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well that changes my plans dramatically. Especially since ATF could declare a "clerical error" at anytime and not renew my FFL and then I have to take a hit on my entire NFA inventory. Amazing that Iowa has open carry with permit but still isn't a NFA state, talk abut contradictions.
View Quote

Join IFC and NRA and help us change the law!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already a life member of the NRA. I'll look into the IFC. Iowa carry laws got me very excited last time I was there and I've been thinking hard about moving back, but NFA laws are a big consideration. I have more than a few "premay" dealer samples that are keepers everywhere else. Just not sure I can live life without select fire and suppressed weapons.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Already a life member of the NRA. I'll look into the IFC. Iowa carry laws got me very excited last time I was there and I've been thinking hard about moving back, but NFA laws are a big consideration. I have more than a few "premay" dealer samples that are keepers everywhere else. Just not sure I can live life without select fire and suppressed weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As was mentioned work to fix it with us.  You are a prime canidate to do some major pushing for the cause.  Contact several districts and inform them that you are considering bringing a business to the area but are seriously concerned with the lack of gun laws.  Push that angle hard.  IFC is the go to group in Iowa.  Can't remember the name for it now but they are an affiliate of the NRA and have been working in tandem with the NRA.  Do not give money to IGO aka Iowa gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As was mentioned work to fix it with us.  You are a prime canidate to do some major pushing for the cause.  Contact several districts and inform them that you are considering bringing a business to the area but are seriously concerned with the lack of gun laws.  Push that angle hard.  IFC is the go to group in Iowa.  Can't remember the name for it now but they are an affiliate of the NRA and have been working in tandem with the NRA.  Do not give money to IGO aka Iowa gun owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info. I'll look into this thanks.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top