Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 12:10:55 PM EDT
This is in Wayne County, New York.
I own 50 acres of land and when I'm back in my woods bumming I, of course, am carrying a revolver.
My question is this: When I'm on my own property am I legal to Open Carry?

If so, would that be the case even if I'm walking close enough to the road (still on my own property) where someone driving by could see me carrying?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that you may OC on your own property, but that if you can be seen from a public space that you may run into trouble.  I remember a thread about this from a while ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious about this too.

Not that it's ever anything I've considered, to be honest.  But to know the exact letter of the law would be great.  I never know when I may wish to pace around my lawn with a .45 on my hip.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd carry concealed unless you want the potential of some unwanted drama in your life.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/nys-ccw.html

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Use the New York Penal Law Section 35.20 - Justification clause.
Use Of Physical Force In Defense Of Premises And In Defense Of A Person In The Course Of Burglary. Which gives you deadly force "rights" sub section 3.
One must be ready with a firearm at anytime if you have reason to believe a intruder is near and must be neutralized.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always wonderd this too. Especially if a landowner carried during the bow season.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
DeltaEliteMan - I contacted a reliable person in the WCSD about your question and have asked him and just waiting for a answer back and will reply the answer then I will tell you who it was

Matt - im also from Wayne Co - Clyde
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've always wonderd this too. Especially if a landowner carried during the bow season.

IF you mean carry during bow season while bow hunting deer in NYS, don't do it.  It is illegal.  This is a DEC law.  HEck, its illegal in NYS to bow hunt for deer and be with someone else who has a firearm.  I am not sure if you can carry if you are small game hunting with the bow though.  Need to look that one up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF you mean carry during bow season while bow hunting deer in NYS, don't do it.  It is illegal.  This is a DEC law.  HEck, its illegal in NYS to bow hunt for deer and be with someone else who has a firearm.  I am not sure if you can carry if you are small game hunting with the bow though.  Need to look that one up.

I've always known that one. I'm referring to a landowner who don't bowhunt and carries on his land during the bow season. I'm guessing if a landowner does not hunt or possess a hunting license he/she is good to go. If he/she does possess a hunting lincense and is not hunting, they may be in trouble. I guess it depends on if the DEC just happens to walk on their land. One thing about DECALS (DEC Automatic Licensing System), is that it's tied to your ID. So if a landowner goes on his property without his/her license and DEC comes across them, odds they may ask for ID and run a check.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always known that one. I'm referring to a landowner who don't bowhunt and carries on his land during the bow season. I'm guessing if a landowner does not hunt or possess a hunting license he/she is good to go. If he/she does possess a hunting lincense and is not hunting, they may be in trouble. I guess it depends on if the DEC just happens to walk on their land. One thing about DECALS (DEC Automatic Licensing System), is that it's tied to your ID. So if a landowner goes on his property without his/her license and DEC comes across them, odds they may ask for ID and run a check.

Why would this be an issue,as long as you are not actually bowhunting?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
.25 acre suburban lot with complete visual access by the ninnies...no, 50 acres where NOBODY will see you you should be OK. Remember it is Wayne County and they do not urinate at the sight of firearms for the most part. Just use your head.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Question: My buddy is "law enforcement", would he be allowed to carry his back up piece in the woods while bow hunting on private property ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Question: My buddy is "law enforcement", would he be allowed to carry his back up piece in the woods while bow hunting on private property ?

No.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2442.html

Handgun

Question: Can I carry my handgun while hunting?

Answer:

Yes, providing the barrel length is less than 16 inches and you are a
New York State resident with a valid New York State pistol permit.
However; you cannot carry one if you are archery or muzzleloader
hunting during those special seasons.

Question: What is the minimum and maximum handgun barrel
length that is allowed when using a handgun to hunt big game in areas
where the use of a pistol is legal?
Answer:
Maximum legal
barrel length is 16 inches. There is no minimum barrel length.
Autoloading pistols must have a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
Any center-fire caliber is legal when hunting big game with a handgun.

Question: I hold a New York State Pistol Permit, can I carry my pistol while bow hunting or muzzleloader hunting?

Answer:

No, even though you possess a valid pistol permit to carry the pistol,
the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) states the following: No
person engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a bowhunting stamp
or muzzleloader stamp and no person accompanying him or a member of his
party, while he is so engaged in hunting during a special longbow or
muzzleloader season, shall have in his possession a firearm of any
kind. A pistol is defined as a firearm in the Environmental
Conservation Law and possession is not allowed afield with or near a
person while they are engaged in hunting pursuant to the special bow or
muzzleloader season.

Question: Can I carry my licensed pistol while bow or muzzleloader hunting if I am a Peace or Police officer?

Answer:

Environmental Conservation Law states that "No person" can carry a
firearm of "any kind" while hunting under the authority of a bow-stamp
or muzzleloader stamp. There is no provision under this section of law
which exempts police or peace officers. The answer is NO.

Question: Can I carry a handgun while archery hunting during the regular big game season?

Answer:
Yes. You may not however, carry a firearm while archery hunting during a special archery season.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Question: Can I carry my licensed pistol while bow or muzzleloader hunting if I am a Peace or Police officer?

Answer:Environmental Conservation Law states that "No person" can carry afirearm of "any kind" while hunting under the authority of a bow-stampor muzzleloader stamp. There is no provision under this section of lawwhich exempts police or peace officers. The answer is NO.

wow. i carry everywhere...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Question: I hold a New York State Pistol Permit, can I carry my pistol while bow hunting or muzzleloader hunting?

Answer: No, even though you possess a valid pistol permit to carry the pistol, the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) states the following: No person engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a bowhunting stamp or muzzleloader stamp and no person accompanying him or a member of his party, while he is so engaged in hunting during a special longbow or muzzleloader season, shall have in his possession a firearm of any kind. A pistol is defined as a firearm in the Environmental Conservation Law and possession is not allowed afield with or near a person while they are engaged in hunting pursuant to the special bow or muzzleloader season.

From this it seems to me if you were turkey hunting or small game hunting with the bow you could carry.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#16]
rkbar15, thnx for the answer....i'll let him know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top