Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 11:29:05 AM EDT
Ok here is the story, everywhere I have been this week I have read,heard,seen,mentioned something that involved Texas.Well it just so happens that I am wanting to move out of my home state and an out of state move is a LOT of hassle and I would perfer to only have to do it once,It is almost like deja-vu because everytime "Texas" has come up it has directly/indirectly involved the move.I just want to know what all the hype is and is there really anything there that is soooo different from here?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:35:18 AM EDT
Like the brochure says " Texas, A whole other country".
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:52:58 AM EDT
it's a nice place.
so is AZ.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:58:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:22:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mojo:

Texas is too damn hot in summer, too damn cold in winter. Kali is better, a lot of stuff to do, great weather to boost.

Yeah it sucks here. Humidity and errr...heat. Tell your friends.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:29:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hk940:
it's a nice place.
so is AZ.

I was born in Texas and lived here all my 35 years. If I ever have to move out of this state, I'm moving to AZ...and I've only been there once.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:43:27 PM EDT
Heat sucks..

Other than that and the fact that there are millions of illegal aliens here...it's great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:25:33 PM EDT
TEXAS=HEAT!!!!! Its ok its just preparing me for when I go to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
it gets hot and humid here

<­BR>

but other than that i wouldnt leave this place
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:35:26 PM EDT
Yes, it is really that great. Nuff said....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:35:42 PM EDT

Texas is too damn hot in summer, too damn cold in winter. Kali is better, a lot of stuff to do, great weather to boost.

+1. Too hot. Too cold. But we stay anyway. I always though WV was pretty cool myself. Or VA or KY.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:53:59 PM EDT
I grew up in Minnesota and have lived in Wisconsin, Tennessee, Florida, and now Texas.
Texas is a LARGE state. Drive time from side-to-side is about 12 hours under optimal conditions. In the east there are large pine forests, bayous, lots of heat, and more humidity. In the west there are arid conditions, lots of heat and low humidity. In between there is.... everything in between!

There are parts of Texas I would have a hard time moving to.
- Houston is a coastal-plain city with hellacious humidity and heat. Traffic sucks out loud!
- DFW is a big-ass city, which I am not partial to. Traffic sucks slightly less.

There are other smaller cites, each with their own flavor. Besides the large Spanish/Mexican influence, there are places that still have a strong German influence from immigration in the 1800’s.

Texas has an incredible history – well worth looking into. Incredible things have happened here, both great and terrible.

Almost all land here is privately owned. Most other states have large areas that are publicly owned and are available to the public for hunting. Not so much in Texas. If you are a hunter, opportunities abound! …just expect to pay for access to the land. Trophy deer hunting is big business. Deer here have small bodies and impressive racks. If you want to hunt for a wall-hanger, pony up the price. Bagging a trophy-class buck will cost you thousands.

Gun laws are not too onerous. There is no state-mandated registration. This is a shall-issue state for concealed carry. In many locations getting sign-off on class-III stuff is not a problem. There are no state laws prohibiting ownership of full-auto firearms, suppressors, normal-capacity magazines, or military-looking rifles.

I like Texas!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:06:01 PM EDT
Move to the great toen of West, Texas....pop. 783
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
Yes, Texas IS that great. I love it here. I was born here and by God I will die here and let Texas worms have my body.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:41:30 PM EDT
Texas is a great state. That said, there are a lot of other states that have a lot to offer, too. It depends upon what your priorities & preferences are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:48:23 PM EDT
Great answers everyone thank you for your responses. some of my priorities are guns,shooting,and more guns,owning private land as big as bonanza.(and I got a thing for southern hospitable women so respectable)...I need a sammach. For the response of west Texas with a pop of 783...Holy Sh8 I was looking at some city called Mexia I think it's pronounced (me-hia) is that any good??I heard its a tiny place with almost nobody I wonder how much land I could get.I hate that all the subdivisions are stealing ours I would like 1,000,000acres and tell them to shove off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:48:44 PM EDT
TEXAS.

That about sums it up.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:56:12 PM EDT
TEXAS.
That about sums it up.

Check out the TEXAS Advice thread.

You can all go to hell. I am going to TEXAS.

Davy Crockett.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 7:26:27 PM EDT by roseco]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:44:45 PM EDT
The only complaint I have is that it gets uncomfortably hot in the summer. Other then that, it's a great laid back place.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:16:25 PM EDT
Well, for all you non-natives whining about the heat in Texas, I have to ask, are yall stooooopid. Come on! Thats like complaining that a 12 gauge recoils more than a .22.

Nut up or leave.

With that said, I wouldnt mind states like Montana, Arizona, even Alaska. However, I was born here, and by god, I will die here.

GBT. No not George Bush Turnpike (190), but God Blessed Texas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:40:54 PM EDT
If it's land you're after Texas is the place. Last year I was looking to buy some acerage to mess around on waaay the fuck out in west texas. It was $150, (YES, one hundred and fifty dollars) per acre. Granted it is out in the middle of nowhere and has little, if ANY utilities, but it would be an awesome place to hunt, camp, and shoot all you want. I live in Katy which is about 25 miles west of Houston. It does get very freaking hot, but, being a native Houstonian, I got used to it. Plus if it gets too hot you can always go to New Braunfels and tube down the Guadalupe river. It may be 100+ degrees outside but when you get in that river you will freeze your ass off!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:58:23 AM EDT

GET OUT!!!

Go back to Mexico punk.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:00:29 AM EDT
Yeah, it's that great.

I am from Ohio, and I liked it alot.

I Love Texas, been here 8 yrs, and plan on dying here. Hopefully, that will take more than a few decades though.

Get here, asap.

You won't regret it.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:06 AM EDT
If ya don't mind the heat, then YEP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:45:24 AM EDT

Deer here have small bodies and impressive racks.

So do the wimmen.

God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:47:30 AM EDT
You don't have to shovel the heat, and, It's not dangerous to drive in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:28:43 AM EDT
I've done quite a bit of traveling, worldwide. Big cities are pretty much the same everywhere,
including Texas. My son lives in a small town in BFE, Texas. Population 300+ humans, probably
800 dogs. That little town has four churches (Counting the Native American area, which I do). I truly like most of the small town folk I've met here in Texas. I'm staying. I do plan on working OCONUS, but when I return it will be to the great state of Texas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:32:19 AM EDT
IBTL...............

Er, the system lock at 40pgs, that is.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:34:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hk940:
it's a nice place.
so is AZ.

+1.

There are many Texans, ex-Texans, Arizonans, and ex-Arizonans who would agree.

There is a land bridge connecting the two states........ an unimpressive piece of "property" commonly referred to as New Mexico.

Mostly kidding about NM. I just wanted to get that in print so I can email this link to an ex-roommate, fellow arfcommer, and native New Mexican.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:36:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HBruns:
I grew up in Minnesota and have lived in Wisconsin, Tennessee, Florida, and now Texas.
Texas is a LARGE state. Drive time from side-to-side is about 12 hours under optimal conditions. In the east there are large pine forests, bayous, lots of heat, and more humidity. In the west there are arid conditions, lots of heat and low humidity. In between there is.... everything in between!

There are parts of Texas I would have a hard time moving to.
- Houston is a coastal-plain city with hellacious humidity and heat. Traffic sucks out loud!
- DFW is a big-ass city, which I am not partial to. Traffic sucks slightly less.

There are other smaller cites, each with their own flavor. Besides the large Spanish/Mexican influence, there are places that still have a strong German influence from immigration in the 1800’s.

Texas has an incredible history – well worth looking into. Incredible things have happened here, both great and terrible.

Almost all land here is privately owned. Most other states have large areas that are publicly owned and are available to the public for hunting. Not so much in Texas. If you are a hunter, opportunities abound! …just expect to pay for access to the land. Trophy deer hunting is big business. Deer here have small bodies and impressive racks. If you want to hunt for a wall-hanger, pony up the price. Bagging a trophy-class buck will cost you thousands.

Gun laws are not too onerous. There is no state-mandated registration. This is a shall-issue state for concealed carry. In many locations getting sign-off on class-III stuff is not a problem. There are no state laws prohibiting ownership of full-auto firearms, suppressors, normal-capacity magazines, or military-looking rifles.

I like Texas!

I like my Texas deer like I like my Texas women...........

(While Hank Jr's "Texas Women" plays in the background - er, foreground)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:39:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By photokirk:

So do the wimmen.

God Bless Texas.

Dammit!

Had to know someone would beat me to it............

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:06:29 PM EDT
I've lived in NY, Chicago, Cincinnati, Charleston and Tampa.

I'll take the DFW area of TX any time...

Houston is another matter...

You get used to the heat, or better yet, don't go out during the afternoons unless it involves water or shade. I do my outside chores early in the morning and quit at lunch. I may start again around 7:30p if there are things that need to get done.

Guns and places to shoot are plentiful. Not much BS to deal with to purchase or own. Some good gun people around.

Cold Shiner Bock make the heat go away!

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:48:12 PM EDT
Man, why you guys have to dis Houston all the time. I'm moving there in November and you guys are giving me cold feet! BTW I'll be in the Spring area. LETS GO SHOOTING!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:49:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boombastic:
Man, why you guys have to dis Houston all the time. I'm moving there in November and you guys are giving me cold feet! BTW I'll be in the Spring area. LETS GO SHOOTING!!!

Trust me: Walk around, barefoot, on the pavement in Houston for just two minutes. I promise, your feet won't be cold.

Jake.

P.S. Yes, even in November, which we in Texas usually refer to as "August Lite"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:01:22 PM EDT
*****SOLD!*****

GTT!

Me. momma, and our Beagles are a comin to Texas!

Been living in this "never-never" land of liberalism for 50 years---Northern Ohio. OSU Buckeyes only good thing left in the whole darn state.

Michael Savage is right: "Liberalism is a mental disorder!" Ain't never seen 11 million whiners and criers like here in Ohio; if they were on fire, I wouldn't even piss on 'em to put 'em out.

Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, Toledo, Youngstown--all ruint. Each their own Fulluja.

Disrespect, incivility, and downright meaness of spirit here at all levels.

HELLO, TEXAS!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:13:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boombastic:

Don't let that bother you... I 'll disagree with TVONE. Both Houston and Dallas have strengths and weaknesses. But if I had to choose between living in the general Dallas or Houston metro areas, it would be Houston, hands down. Houston has a more diversified economy, a port, proximity of the gulf coast, plenty of outdoor & cultural events and a lower cost of living. Yes, the humidity in Houston is tough, but there is more to it than that. Houston is a casual, friendly, city with much less pretentiousness (no insult intended) than you will find in the DFW area. You don't have to live downtown... as you mentioned, north in Spring is a great area.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:21:00 PM EDT
Where else in the world is a 4WD, crew cab, diesel dually considered a "family vehicle" that mom doesn't mind driving?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:57:25 PM EDT

So do the wimmen.

God Bless Texas.

LOL...this is the absolute TRUTH!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:41:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jixxerbeast:
Is Texas Really that great?

Yes, Texas is really that great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:47:20 PM EDT
took this pic just for you..

welcome to TEXAS in Aug..

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT by SigZiggy]

Originally Posted By cluster:

img399.imageshack.us/img399/1700/welcome7ju.jpg

You LIE. It's only 106 degrees

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT by cluster]

Originally Posted By SigZiggy:

Originally Posted By cluster:

img399.imageshack.us/img399/1700/welcome7ju.jpg

You LIE. It's only 106 degrees

yeah but your not taking into acount the "heat index"

it is ONLY 106... but it FEELS like 107
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:56:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:27:17 AM EDT

So do the wimmen.

God Bless Texas.

Suprised it took a day for the connection to be made. I was getting worried!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 10:21:22 AM EDT by mojo]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:27:52 AM EDT
Damn the heat. I love it here anyway.

R.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:52:01 AM EDT
You will not regret it!

..and everyone here can +1 that!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 12:46:45 PM EDT by ryann]
Everytime I think about bitching about the heat, I make myself remember how miserable I was during midwestern winters. Only bad thing I can say about Texas is some of the boys want to refight the Civil War, but hell, I just chalk that up to poor sportsmanship.

I'ts OK overall here (Dallas).
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:05:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ryann:
Everytime I think about bitching about the heat, I make myself remember how miserable I was during midwestern winters. Only bad thing I can say about Texas is some of the boys want to refight the Civil War, but hell, I just chalk that up to poor sportsmanship.

I'ts OK overall here (Dallas).

History is written by the winners. We understand that, but we try to tell our own stories, too.

Jake.

P.S. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot the obligatory: "You Yankee bastard!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top