Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
Greetings, all.

I'm hoping to be a resident of the great state of Colorado sometime in the next 6-8 months, and am wondering if OPEN carry is legal in that state?

The reason I ask is that I'm preparing a car BOB, and am trying to determine the bst way to carry a Glock 23. I'm currently thinking of a fanny pack (concealed), but if open carry is legal, I'll consider a simple hip holster (the issue of calling attention to oneself is another matter).

I looked at the NRA-ILA page for Colorado, and found this:

A permit is not required to carry a handgun where carrying firearms is legal, if the handgun is not concealed. A handgun is not considered concealed if it is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who is carrying it for a legal use, or the handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

Which tells me.......NOTHING.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, can one carry openely in State or National Parks?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
As a general rule Colorado is an open carry state. That being said we just passed a concealed carry bill. As a result several municipalities are changing the local rules to outlaw open carry, and concealed carry in certain places.

For an update on the current stauts check out the information on the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners page. (That's in Denver.)

www.rmgo.org
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
While technically legal it would be a very bad idea in areas such as Boulder and Denver. They would definately cite you for disturbing the peace or something. Also I don't know about Florida but in Colorado open carry would be very akward socially except for a few areas. I have never seen a person openly carrying and I lived most of my life in the most gun saturated county of Colorado.

You can carry in national forest and areas such as that. State parks I would imagine are also legal. National Parks on the other hand are illegal to carry in (concealed or open) nation wide IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I've come to the conclusion that it's just plain not worth the hassle, especially since the scenario I have in mind DOES involve Denver or Boulder.

As for the National Parks.......well, I'd rather be judged by twelve than eaten by a bear. Go figure.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
According to the new CCW law, you can conceal a handgun in your car even without a permit, legally.

Colorado is now a shall issue state and most counties follow the law without issues. Denver and Boulder counties tend to create issues. But if you are going to live outside of those counties, get a permit, it will be recognized state wide.

Where are you planning to move too?

dave

As to open carry, in the outlying counties, it would be a small issue at most. Denver, Thornton, Boulder and a couple of other cities have actual laws to ban open carry. Rick Stanley has been fighting these laws and has not faired too well....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top