Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2010 5:34:02 PM EDT
I met up with an old friend who is a corrections officer at the Jennings Co Jail the other night.  Somehow we got on the topic of handguns and I showed him my new carry weapon, a Ruger SP101.  Anyway, after I emptied the cylinder and handed him the weapon, he got a gravely concerned look on his face and asked if I'd shot it recently, which I had just before we met up.  He said he could tell because of the light fouling and how if I got pulled over in Indiana, the officer would take me in as a murder suspect if he saw the fouling!

I think he's full of shit, and is just trying to talk down to me because I'm a lowly civilian as he has done before, but I'm also curious if there's any truth in this.  So what say the IN HTF?
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:18:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:34:45 PM EDT
I would tend to agree.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:48:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 8:21:43 PM EDT
That is why he a corrections officer and not a real cop.  I know a few just like him.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:05:01 AM EDT
What a joke...
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:14:31 AM EDT
And this is why even Deputies that get stuckpulling duty at Lock Upstill dont get any respect because of dingbat JCO's.... He's full of crap theres this thing called Probable Cause...
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:08:18 AM EDT
I've been pulled over with a filthy gun after a day at the range. The gun looked dirty and still  smelled like fresh powder,and the gun was loaded,one in the chamber, and on my side.  I had no issues. I got away without the speeding ticket. I think I was 18 or 19 at the time.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 8:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2010 8:29:05 AM EDT by dbd870]
That may be one of the stupidest things I've heard yet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:10:29 AM EDT
He's either messin' with you or seriously stupid.  Just for fun, show him this thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:15:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:21:54 PM EDT
So if I get pulled over after a day at the range with a few rifles and shotguns and 3 or 4 handguns I'm a murder suspect....riiiiight. Do they just keep me in a cell till they find a body with 8 different caliber holes in it or what.

You're friend is a big dummy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:07:14 PM EDT
No joke, one of the biggest idiots I know is a jailer at that very jail.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:30:56 PM EDT
I've heard something similar.  Not by a jail guard, but by a nationally-known gun instructor.  He advised running a bore snake through the barrel before leaving the range jic.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:45:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:19:06 PM EDT
If that's the case they could arrest me for Rape too... because I'm packing the equipment for it

Your friend has SFB

TS
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:30:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Twisted-Steel:
If that's the case they could arrest me for Rape too... because I'm packing the equipment for it

Your friend has SFB

TS

Damn.... me too
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:39:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR-50:

That is why he a corrections officer and not a real cop.  I know a few just like him.

I'm a Corrections Officer... I know TOO MANY like him.

Most have no idea about firearms, and in almost every instance few - if any, know anything about the laws, either.

I vote for full of shit, also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:14:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/12/2010 9:27:40 AM EDT by Dog1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:05:28 AM EDT
And you kept from laughing in his dumb face how?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:35:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Your "friend" is a jackass.

Yeah, you need a new one. This one is broken.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:43:34 PM EDT

I agree.

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:30:47 AM EDT
LOL I bet I know which one that is......
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:26:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glox:
I've heard something similar.  Not by a jail guard, but by a nationally-known gun instructor.  He advised running a bore snake through the barrel before leaving the range jic.

I was about to comment on how foolish the CO was for telling someone something so rediculous.  Then I read the above and had to wonder how someone like that became a "nationally-known" gun instructor.  

Seriously?  People believe that because you have a gun that has been fired the Police will hold you and investigate you as a murderer?  

And this info is coming from someone related to the LE field and a freaking instructor?!?!  

To lay all of this to rest, the only thing a dirty gun will tell me is that is has been fired.  I don't care if it has been fired, that is what the damn thing is for.  Just don't pull it out while I'm speaking with you and we'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:22:54 AM EDT
I hope your friend stays a CO and does not progress further into the LE field.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 11:31:26 AM EDT
Does your friend by chance have a second job at a gun shop?    Sounds like some good gun shop advice from some shops i've been to.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 3:37:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Altair:

I was about to comment on how foolish the CO was for telling someone something so rediculous.  Then I read the above and had to wonder how someone like that became a "nationally-known" gun instructor.  

Seriously?  People believe that because you have a gun that has been fired the Police will hold you and investigate you as a murderer?  

And this info is coming from someone related to the LE field and a freaking instructor?!?!  

To lay all of this to rest, the only thing a dirty gun will tell me is that is has been fired.  I don't care if it has been fired, that is what the damn thing is for.  Just don't pull it out while I'm speaking with you and we'll be just fine.

Nope, not bs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:39:54 PM EDT

Nope, not bs.

I should have worded that differently.  I wasn't intending to say you (or the OP) were bullshitting.  I just can't believe either a CO or a firearms instructor would actually believe such a rediculous thing.  They had to be giving you guys a line of crap (hence the BS).
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:47:50 AM EDT
Sounds like you know a complete fucking idiot.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 10:37:52 AM EDT
If you think about it, if your engine was warm then LE could arrest you for vehicular manslaughter!
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:56:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rcoers:
If you think about it, if your engine was warm then LE could arrest you for vehicular manslaughter!

LOL!!

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 2:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2010 2:21:48 PM EDT by Glox]

I'm not defending the issue in any way at all.  However if there were a hit and run in your area plus you had fresh damage to your car consistent with the police report, that may raise a yellow flag.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:23:40 PM EDT

I'm not defending the issue in any way at all.  However if there were a hit and run in your area plus you had fresh damage to your car consistent with the police report, that may raise a yellow flag.

You are correct.

Also, if you were walking in the area of a gas station robbery and roughly matched the description of the person who robbed the place that will get you Police attention.  If you are driving a red SUV and we get a call about a reckless driver in a red SUV you will get Police attention.  If you happen to be walking through a neighborhood at 1am where we've had lots of vehicle break ins that may get you Police attention.  It can happen to anybody but it isn't something to dwell on.  Generally if I stop somebody in any one of these circumstances it takes only a few minutes to figure out that they aren't involved or if the situation dictates that I dig deeper.

I can tell you this:  if there was a shooting and you match the description of the suspect and happen to have a gun on you, you won't get released just because it looks clean or detained just because it looks dirty.  That will be one very minor detail in the broad scheme of things (we call it totality of the circumstances in Police work).
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:15:46 PM EDT
I guess we need to say SSS and clean. You need a new friend. You are known by your friends.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2010 4:46:37 AM EDT by WILSON]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:40:02 AM EDT

You are correct.

Also, if you were walking in the area of a gas station robbery and roughly matched the description of the person who robbed the place that will get you Police attention.  If you are driving a red SUV and we get a call about a reckless driver in a red SUV you will get Police attention.  If you happen to be walking through a neighborhood at 1am where we've had lots of vehicle break ins that may get you Police attention.  It can happen to anybody but it isn't something to dwell on.  Generally if I stop somebody in any one of these circumstances it takes only a few minutes to figure out that they aren't involved or if the situation dictates that I dig deeper.

I can tell you this:  if there was a shooting and you match the description of the suspect and happen to have a gun on you, you won't get released just because it looks clean or detained just because it looks dirty.  That will be one very minor detail in the broad scheme of things (we call it totality of the circumstances in Police work).

Great...now we can put this to rest.  Good info & thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:08:40 AM EDT
I was taken in for a choking murder because I had two hands on the end of my arms.

Dear Abby, What should I do?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:18:10 AM EDT

You are correct.

and the CSI show is not real...

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:44:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:

You are correct.

and the CSI show is not real...

CSI might be possible if we tripled taxes and PD's had unlimited resources.  

It cracks me up how they find a fingerprint and fibers at every crime scene.  TV has given people such an unrealistic expectation when it comes to physical evidence.  Most juries only have knowledge of forensics from watching these shows so alot of people walk that shouldn't just because we didn't find DNA, fingerprints, and video.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:24:51 PM EDT
I bet he used to give up his milk money in 1st grade without a fight
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:42:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By burg:
I was taken in for a choking murder because I had two hands on the end of my arms.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:48:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SVNSXTO:
I bet he used to give up his milk money in 1st grade without a fight

I'm betting he still does.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:04:56 AM EDT

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:49:36 PM EDT

Second
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:17:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:

Oh shit, I have two hands
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:17:11 PM EDT
Only way I could see that happening is if you fit a description of a fleeing felon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:29:12 AM EDT
If you ran a bore snake through it and they find the bore snake, then they suspect you of destroying evidence.  I learned that at mall ninja summer SEAL camp!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2010 12:59:45 PM EDT by pdg45acp]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
If you ran a bore snake through it and they find the bore snake, then they suspect you of destroying evidence.  I learned that at mall ninja summer SEAL camp!

Yes, they covered that during the advance sniper sessions.
Top Top