Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 8:33:09 AM EDT
Does anybody know if the Gerber F.A.S.T. knives are considered switchblades?  They are readily available at typical retail establishments, but then inside the box is a "disclaimer" along the lines of "check your local laws".

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these and really like it.  IANAL, but I do not consider it a switchblade.  Any cop who examines it may be intrigued by the switch on the side, but they can press it all day and not get the knife open since the switch is actually used to unlock the blade for closure.

I originally got mine because it was of decent quality for a decent price and was not a liner lock.  The assisted opening stuff was just gravy, but now that I have it I do appreciate it.

Alpine
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
No it is not. The only knives that are considered  switchblades in TX are knives that deploy by pushing a button, gravity knive, and butterfly knives.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No it is not. The only knives that are considered  switchblades in TX are knives that deploy by pushing a button, gravity knive, and butterfly knives.

The law states that the knife have a button on the handle for opening the knife.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
No it isn't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No it isn't.

Thanks JIA, if our resident JBT thinks it's OK, then it must be good-to-go.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The law states that the knife have a button on the handle for opening the knife.  

Texas - Health, Safety & Morals - 46.02. Unlawful carrying
  weapons. (a) A person commits an offense if intentionally,
  knowingly , or recklessly carries on or about his person a
  handgun, illegal knife, or club. [Exceptions: official;
  actor was own premises; was traveling; engaged in lawful
  hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity; security
  guard].
- 46.01. Definitions. (1) "Club"... includes... (D)
  Tomahawk...

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
(8) "Knuckles" means any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles.
(9) "Machine gun" means any firearm that is capable of shooting more than two shots automatically, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
(10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(1) an explosive weapon;
(2) a machine gun;
(3) a short-barrel firearm;
(4) a firearm silencer;
(5) a switchblade knife;
(6) knuckles;
(7) armor-piercing ammunition;
(8) a chemical dispensing device; or
(9) a zip gun.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional facility.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.
(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
(1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio; or
(2) was incidental to dealing with armor-piercing ammunition solely for the purpose of making the ammunition available to an organization, agency, or institution listed in Subsection (b).
(e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.

Now 338winmag, I don't know if you were calling me on my classification of butterfly knives as a switchblade, but if you read the bold read, any knife that deploys using centrifigul force, like a butterfly knife is a switchblade by Texas law. And if you still don't believe me, see HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top