Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2016 1:27:13 AM EDT
I understand that every places has its problems but on paper the Chattanooga area seems like a pretty good place.

I have driven through there a time or two and always thought it was beautiful.  Researching it, it seems to have good demographics. A lot of things going on and an OK economy.

The wife and I are looking from one end of the country to the other for the place we want to grow old.  Finding work and making money is not an issue.

Tell me what is wonderful and what sucks about the Chattanooga area.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Chattanooga has some really "vibrant" areas. Much more so than say Knoxville.

Chattanooga has a really nice downtown area and great local restaurants, but stray into some areas and it can get dicey real quick.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Go 10 miles out of town in any direction and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chattanooga has some really "vibrant" areas. Much more so than say Knoxville.

Chattanooga has a really nice downtown area and great local restaurants, but stray into some areas and it can get dicey real quick.
View Quote

My #1 ghetto safari destination as well as my #1 to go out to eat or do city stuff. I'd look at living north of there in Soddy. You can easily get to downtown via Hwy 27 or take Hwy 153 to the east side but you are further from the vibrant areas.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at the Metro statistics

......As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 528,143 people, 189,607 households, and 132,326 families residing within the MSA. The racial makeup of the MSA was 83.14% White, 13.90% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.97% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.49% of the population.

It seems very low on vibrancy, even if the actual city of Chatanooga has a vibrant area (most cities do)

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Idk where in Texas you're from but the shit that happens in Alton Park rivals what I know about the bad areas of Houston.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

......As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 528,143 people, 189,607 households, and 132,326 families residing within the MSA. The racial makeup of the MSA was 83.14% White, 13.90% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.97% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.49% of the population.

It seems very low on vibrancy, even if the actual city of Chatanooga has a vibrant area (most cities do)

View Quote

The *city* is rather vibrant. Get into the suburbs and the vibrancy is not as near pronounced. There are some areas that are rather iffy, night or day.

As a Knoxvillian who worked in Chattanooga I can tell you, there is a pretty big difference between the two. Even though they are only 100 miles apart, Chattanooga much more resembles Atlanta than Knoxville.

That having been said, I like Chattanooga a lot. Great downtown, great local restaurants, etc. You just need to get into the more outlying areas, although, areas such as St. Elmo have their appeal as well.

The very best thing to do when moving to any new area is to visit first.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
As of the census of 2010, there were 167,674 people, 70,749 households, and 40,384 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,222.5 people per square mile (472.5/km²). There were 79,607 housing units at an average density of 588.8 per square mile (226.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 58% White, 34.9% Black, 0.4% American Indian, 2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.9% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. 5.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. Non-Hispanic Whites were 55.9% of the population in 2010, down from 67.3% in 1980.[
View Quote

I don't know where you got your data?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As of the census of 2010, there were 167,674 people, 70,749 households, and 40,384 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,222.5 people per square mile (472.5/km²). There were 79,607 housing units at an average density of 588.8 per square mile (226.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 58% White, 34.9% Black, 0.4% American Indian, 2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.9% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. 5.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. Non-Hispanic Whites were 55.9% of the population in 2010, down from 67.3% in 1980.[

As I said in my post, the Metro data. You gave the corporate city limits of Chattanooga data.

Metro data describes an area much better than a snap shot of any specific city in a metro.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Knoxville was a place we looked at but the Knoxville, (specifically UT Knoxville) seems to have become a hot bed for anti-semitism and the University does not seem to give a crap.

The *city* is rather vibrant. Get into the suburbs and the vibrancy is not as near pronounced. There are some areas that are rather iffy, night or day.

As a Knoxvillian who worked in Chattanooga I can tell you, there is a pretty big difference between the two. Even though they are only 100 miles apart, Chattanooga much more resembles Atlanta than Knoxville.

That having been said, I like Chattanooga a lot. Great downtown, great local restaurants, etc. You just need to get into the more outlying areas, although, areas such as St. Elmo have their appeal as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knoxville was a place we looked at but the Knoxville, (specifically UT Knoxville) seems to have become a hot bed for anti-semitism and the University does not seem to give a crap.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As I said in my post, the Metro data. You gave the corporate city limits of Chattanooga data.

Metro data describes an area much better than a snap shot of any specific city in a metro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever..... Dunlap is included in your MSA and there is a mountain, a deep valley(canyon elev climbs 1,670 ft in 3.5 miles), and 2 rivers between them.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]
"Knoxville was a place we looked at but the Knoxville, (specifically UT Knoxville) seems to have become a hot bed for anti-semitism and the University does not seem to give a crap. "

Seriously? Where in the world did you hear or read that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Knoxville was a place we looked at but the Knoxville, (specifically UT Knoxville) seems to have become a hot bed for anti-semitism and the University does not seem to give a crap. "

View Quote

This issue in Knoxville is actually making the rounds in Jewish communities.

Google search for Knoxville anti semitic

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
2 of the 3 TN counties in your MSA are in a different time zone  

And they leave out Bradley County and Cleveland Which is right next door
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is not "mine" it is the way the government does it.  

It say the CSA included Cleveland.

If we add Cleveland (which is indeed "right next door" )  it shifts the demographics even less vibrant.  

My observation is, like many places, the core city has vibrancy. The suburbs seem to lack much of it.   Compared to most cities, there is nothing unusual about the Chatanooga area in that respect. It would probably rate "below" average in metro vibrancy.

Anyways, you have to live somewhere. There are things I want less and things I want more of in the place I want to live.  On paper the metro Chattanooga area seems to be looking good for us.  

I would still love to here peoples opinions.

As a tangent, Cleveland looks like a really nice town itself that is very close to all that the core of Chattanooga has to offer.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News to me. Then again, I'm not a UT student.

The UT campus is pretty much a pretty insulated area from the rest of the city. Other than the sports programs, little to nothing bleeds over into the community. The biggest thing I am aware of within the UT campus is their office of diversity. The campus is liberal, very liberal but then again most college campuses are.

Scanning some of the referenced articles seems to have some pretty sketchy references as to numbers of students posting this stuff. I also know that knoxvilles Jewish community, while not very large, is pretty vocal and if this problem is as widespread as some of these articles imply, their would be a lot more outcry/knowledge of this outside of campus. And frankly, what students post on social media has pretty much no affect on Knoxville or the outlying communities. Strictly my opinion from a lifelong resident, who lives 15-20 minutes from campus.

Again, before I trusted government statistics, I would make an extended visit and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If we add Cleveland (which is indeed "right next door" )  it shifts the demographics even less vibrant.  

My observation is, like many places, the core city has vibrancy. The suburbs seem to lack much of it.   Compared to most cities, there is nothing unusual about the Chatanooga area in that respect. It would probably rate "below" average in metro vibrancy.

Anyways, you have to live somewhere. There are things I want less and things I want more of in the place I want to live.  On paper the metro Chattanooga area seems to be looking good for us.  

As a tangent, Cleveland looks like a really nice town itself that is very close to all that the core of Chattanooga has to offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I posted earlier, 10 miles out of town  in any direction is fine
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird. First I've ever heard of that. Although I do want to point out the irony of someone looking at cities based on their "vibrancy index", while simotaneously avoiding some due to anti-Semitism.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Weird. First I've ever heard of that. Although I do want to point out the irony of someone looking at cities based on their "vibrancy index", while simotaneously avoiding some due to anti-Semitism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In all fairness to the OP, I was the one who introduced the term *vibrant*.

That being said, I find it interesting that this  antisemitism is reported by those outside the local and state media outlets. As I said previously, its news to me and I don't live terribly far from campus. But I also think that goes to show how little bearing the campus and students (other than the sports/athletes) have on the city and metro area. The campus itself is fairly compact and is unto itself. I am also suspect of just how widespread this problem is other than a few asses (students)  on social media. As they say, empty garbage cans make the loudest noise.......

FWIW  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Having lived and worked in both Knoxville and Chattanooga, either will do nicely as a place to retire, but I prefer the Chattanooga area.
As noted in posts above, the crime-ridden areas of both cities are fairly circumscribed and easily avoided. Chattanooga is more geographically restricted, therefore it's significantly easier to be "out of the city" without being waaaaaaay out of the city. Knoxville, OTOH, is more spread out, and has already pretty much engulfed Alcoa and Maryville to the south, and continues to spread westward toward Oak Ridge.

You mentioned Cleveland, which is actually a pretty nice place. It would be tempting to "split the difference" by looking at land between Chattanooga and Cleveland; just be aware that there's a significant ridgeline between them, and I-75 is frequently backed up, so it's not always a quick trip into Chattanooga for the river, aquarium, restaurants, etc.

On balance, I'd look at the northwestern corner of Chattanooga in the Soddy-Daisy area. It's close enough for a 20 min drive into downtown, but far enough that you're out of the city. If you can tolerate a few more minutes drive, there are a lot of reasonably large mountain properties a bit farther out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... if it's on the internet, then it must be true.

This is what I call "Internet Amplification".  Something gets posted by some random someone or group and all of a sudden it's taken as fact.  I have lived in Knoxville for 40 years and I can tell you this is complete BS.

Both Knoxville and Chattanooga are great places to live.  As with most cities in the U.S., they have their version of inner city blight and the accompanying crime.  But these areas are extremely small and centralized when compared to the rest the cities.  I believe Knoxville was also recently named in the top 5 for most affordable cities in the U.S.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I find it hard to believe that anti-Semitism can gain a foothold anywhere in TN.  After all, Jesus was a Jew and we love Jesus.  

I know lots of Jews in Mid TN and they are all accepted into the community, one even won a city council seat in a dark red district.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Overall, it's a nice area.  Big enough to have everything you need, but not so big that it's a pain in the ass to get around.

Some pockets of vibrancy as mentioned, but they are easy enough to avoid.  General advice is to live on the north side of the river, or head up I-75 a bit towards Ooltewah.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I think Chattanooga is a shithole.  The traffic absolutely sucks.  

Wreck on 75 between Ooltewah and Shallowford?  You're fucked.  

Wreck on 24 through downtown?  You're fucked.  

Oh yeah, when you get off the interstate, you're still a long fucking way from where you need to be.  

Vibrancy?  All you'll ever want.

Culture?  Oh yeah, lots of that stuff...if that's you're thing.  

Public schools?  Ha!!!  Start saving now for Baylor.  Well worth it by the way.  

Knoxville is WAY better for a bajillion reasons...if you want to be in East Tennessee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top