Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/1/2009 6:33:50 PM EDT
What is the waiting period for buying a rifle?

My pistol permit expired and I want to buy a rifle this this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No waiting period for long guns or handguns. The only "waiting period" in Iowa is the time it takes the sheriff to get you your permit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no waiting period for long guns. You do not need a purchase permit for a long gun. It just makes it faster since the dealer doesn't have to call in your info. The wait for a handgun purchase permit is 3 days and depends on just how your Sheriff handles it and this satisfies the mandatory 3 day wait. Hence the reason for a handgun purchase permit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only wait would be for the NICS check that the dealer would do when you purchase the rifle since you don't have to have the permit to purchase a rifle...if there's a problem with your NICS approval he could have you come back a couple days later to see if it went thru or not.

This. Its easier to get a permit before you try to purchase it. NICS red flags a TON of people and makes them wait for a manual check. If you get a red flag it can take up to 3 days. To my understanding they red flag people randomly AND if a felon has the same name as you somewhere in the United States. I found out there is someone in prison for murder that has my name (exactly).

Permit in hand, no phone calls are ever made.....

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top