Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/17/2015 1:04:08 PM EST
Iowa gun control law - When did the requirement for a permit to purchase become effective?

I'm doing some research on gun control and it's effects (or lack of) and was having trouble figuring out when the requirement to get a permit (i.e. background check) for all pistol purchases went into effect. Anyone have an answer?

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:21:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By tiggers97:
Iowa gun control law - When did the requirement for a permit to purchase become effective?

I'm doing some research on gun control and it's effects (or lack of) and was having trouble figuring out when the requirement to get a permit (i.e. background check) for all pistol purchases went into effect. Anyone have an answer?

Thank you
View Quote

For that you're going to need to search through the archives of the legislature to see when it first appeared. Have fun with that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:40:39 PM EST
In '72 I believe is when they last added / revised to a lot of the permit laws and May Issue stuff. The original laws here in Iowa were written and passed in 1913
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:49:00 PM EST
Almost seems like we had to do a class at the SO in maybe '78. Might have been a local requirement, don't remember this much later. Do recall the fellow that did the class though and he did a fine job. Well worth attending but then it was not an option either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:13:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 5:19:32 PM EST by tiggers97]
Thank you for the link to the archive of Iowa law books! Cannot say it was fun, but it made finding what I was looking for possible.

For permit to buy a handgun (not concealed carry. That goes back to at least 1924)

The law books changed in 1979, when the old firearm section (695) was superseded by the new (714). So sometime between 1977 and 1978 the law was passed.
So far so good:
!
This supplemental code for 1977 seems to suggest (along with the reference to the 1978 class above) that it was passed in 1977, and took effect January 1st, 1978.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/shelves/code/ocr/1977%20Iowa%20Code%20Supplement.pdf

Here's a link (data seems sourced from FBI) if your wondering how it affected homicides in Iowa. Doesn't look like it did much to me.
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/iacrime.htm

Thank you everyone for the help!

Now I just need to figure out Hawaii and Rhode Island and add it to my list of Bloombergs "states with handgun background checks have 25% fewer obese chickens" or what ever else they are trying to cover up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:40:03 PM EST
it might be interesting to note the WHY in this case, the 'need' for these actions arose...

blacks were more and more typical on mainstreet iowa, and a few sheriffs/elected officials decided a method needed to exist to curtail 'unsavory' folks from getting permits. it started with permits to acquire and lead directly to 'may issue' permits. this way there was a method to control who got what and with whose permission. while the archives will only show what factual items were presented, etc. suffice it to say it was spawned of ill.

when we started fighting for shall issue, this stuff started coming to light 10 years ago. nobody, especially democrats, wanted to acknowledge this stuff, but eventually we were able to pass the law. i know 'race' wars are becoming popular, but the facts can't be ignored. the chief reason these laws were implemented was discrimination, a good portion of which was race and the balance just plain ol' power grab...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:58 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tiggers97:
[SNIP]
Here's a link (data seems sourced from FBI) if your wondering how it affected homicides in Iowa. Doesn't look like it did much to me.
...[/SNIP]
View Quote

Where's is this link?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:02 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By septic-tank13:
it might be interesting to note the WHY in this case, the 'need' for these actions arose...

blacks were more and more typical on mainstreet iowa, and a few sheriffs/elected officials decided a method needed to exist to curtail 'unsavory' folks from getting permits. it started with permits to acquire and lead directly to 'may issue' permits. this way there was a method to control who got what and with whose permission. while the archives will only show what factual items were presented, etc. suffice it to say it was spawned of ill.

when we started fighting for shall issue, this stuff started coming to light 10 years ago. nobody, especially democrats, wanted to acknowledge this stuff, but eventually we were able to pass the law. i know 'race' wars are becoming popular, but the facts can't be ignored. the chief reason these laws were implemented was discrimination, a good portion of which was race and the balance just plain ol' power grab...
View Quote

The original permit to carry laws were put on the books in 1913. It was Iowa's version of Jim Crow laws and at one time the clan was also active in Iowa. Buxton was at one time a pretty integrated coal mining community, but it went south from there (pun intended)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:50 PM EST
Here is what I have if anyone would care to read them There is a section on Machine Guns too

1913 -1927 Laws

1913-1927 Laws Cont.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:51 PM EST
Opps! Here's the link I mentioned above
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/iacrime.htm
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top