Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/13/2015 3:22:38 PM EDT
Latest fear mongering email: Dreadful Anti-Gun Additions to Omnibus Gun Bill - Help Us Stop It!

As a result, the new omnibus bill that many gun owners supported in the past is now almost unrecognizable.

That’s because the new bill includes provisions like:

A new clause that will allow anyone, even convicted felons, to submit YOUR name to the DPS or your sheriff and demand to know whether or not you have a permit to purchase or carry a firearm!

Imagine a dangerous predator who is stalking your daughter as he decides whether or not to attack and rape her – if this bill passes he’ll know that he faces an unarmed victim, making him that much more likely to attack!

Or imagine what a criminal gang could do, armed with this information, as they decide which houses in a neighborhood to break into.
View Quote

Uhh... they conveniently left out the fact that the situation now is far worse.  People can get your address RIGHT NOW.  The bill would change that to where if you know a person's name and one of three other things (address, phone number, date of birth) you can get a simple yes/no answer from either the sheriff or DPS on whether that person has a permit.  No identifying info, and you have to leave YOUR identifying info which can then be relayed to the person you got info on.  I don't like this very much, and I wish we didn't have to compromise to save the rest of the stuff in the bill, but that situation is MUCH, MUCH better than what we have right now, which is nothing.

A searchable statewide database of firearms and firearms owners!

Current Iowa code only allows the Commissioner of Public Safety to have access to the list of CCW holders here in Iowa.

This language, slipped in to placate the radically anti-gun Iowa State Sheriffs’ and Deputies’ Association, will create a massive new digitized list of gun owners in Iowa!
View Quote

Uh, first of all  there are no CCW holders in Iowa.  Semantics aside, the second sentence is a lie.  Anyone, ANYONE, you, me, a Locust Street Liar "journalist", anybody, can make a request under the Iowa Open Records Act to any county sheriff, and get all information about all permits issued in that county.  It's all public record.

Second of all, it's been in the bill since the beginning.  Either Aaron Dorr just discovered it, or he's lying.

The proposed database would be for law enforcement purposes and I believe this is a good thing. Right now, if a LEO wants to verify your permit, he has to make a call to the county that issued it (unofficial ad-hoc databases aside.)  If you're travelling out of state, good luck explaining that.

Not only would this provide more peace of mind for travelling out of state, but it could increase the reciprocity Iowa enjoys with other states, some of which require this very thing in order for a permit to be recognized.  This is a good thing!

Worse still, this list can be accessed by employers in certain situations.
View Quote

Uh, yeah, no.  There is a provision in the bill that allows employers to verify that an employee has a PROFESSIONAL permit to carry.  If I'm an armed security firm, being able to verify that my employee's permit didn't get pulled after a weekend bender would be pretty nice.

Almost everybody in Iowa that has a permit has a Non-Professional permit, so that provision nothing to worry about because it simply doesn't apply.  If you do have a professional PCW, and you're worried about your employer knowing... you must be a special kind of stupid.  Like, Aaron Dorr level.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It is unfortunate that stupid and lies like these are not illegal.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That is impressive.

I am already banned from their facebook page, someone else will have to heckle them for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Just posted on their FB:

Aaron is deleting comments calling him out on his BS as per usual.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic write up pointing out the faults in this like if garbage Spart. Rather than commenting on their Facebook page and having your comments deleted I encourage you guys to raise these points in the various gun Buy/Sell/Trade groups on Facebook. They cannot delete those comments and many of their followers also frequent those groups. A great way to educate our fellow firearms owners about their shenanigans in a way that cannot be censored by Dorr & Co.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The IGO push right now is making me sick.  

These idiots want to kill the bill simply because they have gotten no movement on the bills they have supported.  They are really pushing the one thing they know and that is fear and donation fishing.  So they are playing up the state wide database and the fact that felons could go in and get the data.  Well felons can do it now.  I am trying to learn more about this.  I will go out of my way to do everything in my power to deface IGO if they are successful in this.  

I generally don't interact with the people who work the IGO booths and what not but I would literally go to shows to stand and front of the booth and debunk everything they said.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fantastic write up pointing out the faults in this like if garbage Spart. Rather than commenting on their Facebook page and having your comments deleted I encourage you guys to raise these points in the various gun Buy/Sell/Trade groups on Facebook. They cannot delete those comments and many of their followers also frequent those groups. A great way to educate our fellow firearms owners about their shenanigans in a way that cannot be censored by Dorr & Co.

View Quote

Been doing this since they blocked me.  Boy, the IGO fanboys really come out and let ya know how much koolaid they been drinking.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My Senator appeared with Aaron in a video bashing the latest amendment, spreading lies.    Not real happy.  This better not swing too many.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw it this morning and let it pass to avoid having a bad day mentally. One day they (he) are going to lie about the wrong thing or the wrong person, and something illegal is going to happen. I mean, aside from the whole Aaron Dorr election fraud, financial scandal, Sorenson going to jail thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Been doing this since they blocked me.  Boy, the IGO fanboys really come out and let ya know how much koolaid they been drinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny thing about this is most of the koolaid drinkers are friends with the Dorrs if you click their names and look at their friends list...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw it this morning and let it pass to avoid having a bad day mentally. One day they (he) are going to lie about the wrong thing or the wrong person, and something illegal is going to happen. I mean, aside from the whole Aaron Dorr election fraud, financial scandal, Sorenson going to jail thing.
View Quote

I'm a bit shocked that a RICO suite has not been brought by any of the Attorny Generals in the Midwest against these guys. But then, the Dorr's serve a purpose to the left in preventing good gun bills from passing and giving the Dem's cover.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a bit shocked that a RICO suite has not been brought by any of the Attorny Generals in the Midwest against these guys. But then, the Dorr's serve a purpose to the left in preventing good gun bills from passing and giving the Dem's cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lying isn't racketeering, so that would not apply. Corruption is legal (and a generally accepted and somewhat celebrated part of our political system) as long as no extortion, money laundering, loan sharking, obstruction of justice, or bribery are involved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
So sick of the nut jobs at IGO.  Sent them an email with the facts, questioning their position.  Doubt i hear back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, IFC ripping IGO's rug right out from underneath them!  

We've seen a lot of out-of-state anti-gun groups attack the Omnibus Gun Bill this year, and while that should be no surprise, we're now seeing this bill come under attack from a handful of all or nothing "pro-gun" Iowans.

To review here's who we've been fighting all year-long:

Everytown for Gun Safety.
Moms Demand Action.
The Center for American Progress.
Americans for Responsible Solutions.
Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
And more.

They are all big money, national level gun control groups run by the likes of Michael Bloomberg, Gabby Giffords, the Brady Campaign as well as others. And they're all united and actively working against Iowa's Omnibus Gun Bill.

Now, these hardcore gun control zealots have a new friend and ally from right here in Iowa.

A group of self-purported "gun owners" from here in Iowa are actively campaigning against this bill, and the many vital improvements it would make to the lives and rights of Iowa's gun owners. This group has a track record of killing pro gun bills, and they have never gotten a single piece of legislation signed into law.

What's worse, they've adopted the gun-grabber's model of using lies, half-truths, and deleting factual comments in order to keep well-meaning Second Amendment advocates confused and in the dark. Their behavior is shameful, and is once again doing more harm than good.

This group is now standing shoulder to shoulder with Bloomberg & Company's lobbyists fighting to stop the Omnibus Gun Bill from making any progress. They may have different reasons, but these groups are now both united in the same anti-gun owner cause: killing the Omnibus Gun Bill and all the benefits it would bring to Iowans.

We all knew all along the anti-gunners would resort to tricks and deceit, but to see another self-proclaimed "pro-gun" group from here in Iowa join forces with them is a surprise to many. But for many of us who follow this issue closely this is no surprise at all because this isn't the first time this has happened.

This same group actively lobbied against the Shall Issue concealed carry reforms we passed 5 years ago. If they had their way we'd still be holding out for a "perfect firearms bill" that never had a chance at passing. Had they been successful hundreds of thousands of Iowans would not be able enjoy the freedom to lawfully carry concealed weapons that we enjoy today. Instead of working to protect and enhance the Second Amendment rights of Iowans by any means possible, this group of gun owners would rather gamble everything on improbable, all or nothing, high stakes bills. This approach is almost always guaranteed to fail and their track record proves it. Not one single piece of pro-gun legislation they've sponsored has ever reached the Governor's desk, let alone been signed into law.

Now they're up to their same old tricks, working again in lock step with Bloomberg and Company, this time to kill Iowa's Omnibus Gun Bill.

Very briefly let's review everything these anti-gun owners are now working against:

1.      Legalizing suppressors.

2.      Creating new and streamlined training requirements for renewal Permit's to Carry and moves the time between training from 5 years to 10 years.

3.      Allowing for a renewal applicant to renew their permit under any of the current training requirements including shooting on a range if they so choose.

4.      Establishing that a veteran with small arms training will never have to go through initial or renewal training to obtain their permit to carry.

5.      Extending the window for qualifying training from the current 12 months now to 24 months. Meaning that if an applicant has had any qualifying training in the last 24 months that will qualify them for their new or renewal permit.

6.      Creating a requirement for uniform permits throughout the state and establishes that all permits, carry and acquire, shall NOT be issued for a particular weapon nor can it contain any identifying information about the weapon including the make, model, serial number or any ammo used in the firearm. It also says applicants residence must not be listed on the permit and prohibits the inclusion of their social security number.

7.      Extending the Permit to Acquire from a 1 year permit to a 5 year permit. This matches it up with the Permit to Carry which is also a 5 year permit.

8.      Adding new language that if a permit is denied and it is later determined that it should not have been that the applicant can recoup reasonable attorney’s fees.

9.   Removing the absurd ban on parents being able to teach their child proper handgun safety if the child is under the age of fourteen.

10.   Establishing a statewide verification system for law enforcement to determine if a permit is valid. There is no new database, all permits are already on file with the state and have been for years. This system merely creates a process by which law enforcement can verify the validity of a Permit to Carry. This benefits you by preventing law enforcement from having to seize the your weapon if you unintentionally forget your permit.

11. Blocking the media from collecting the private information (name, date of birth, address, etc.) of Iowa' permit holders. Current law allows for any member of the public to request to see all of your personal information on your permit application. Under the new provision if they make the request they will only be given a yes or no answer as to whether your permit is valid and the validity dates of such a permit. The person making the request must also give their name, contact information and the reason they are making the request. This information will be kept on file in the sheriff’s office and be accessible to those who wish to inquire if someone has been asking about their permit.

Anyone that opposes the Omnibus Gun Bill opposes all of these measures. Anyone that works against this bill is saying they are against family rights, improving Iowa's Permit to Carry system, gun safety training for kids, stopping the mass media from publishing interactive maps to permit holders, veterans rights, legalizing suppressors and more.

It makes no difference what their reasons are, if anyone opposes the Omnibus Gun Bill they're effectively saying they're in favor of keeping things in Iowa the way they are. Whether it's because they want to take away your rights, or because they're too idealistic and waiting for the perfect bill, the end result is all the same. Iowans get nothing but more of the same.

Fortunately through our talks with multiple key legislators we've learned that all of these anti-gunners efforts have amounted to little than a bunch of hot air. As of right now the Omnibus Gun Bill still has the votes to pass, and we're working overtime to keep it that way.

However, all of this highlights the fact that the lawmaking process is not pretty and it's far from ideal. If you sit around waiting for our legislative system to create and pass a perfect pro-gun bill you're going to be waiting until the end of time.

The Omnibus Gun Bill is not perfect, there's a lot of things we'd like to see added. But what is most important is that this bill improves the Second Amendment rights of Iowans and it's capable of being passed right now.

We cannot let the quest for perfection stand in the way of making vital improvements right now.

P.S - It's unfortunate that in addition to having to square off with national anti-gun groups, we now find the Omnibus Gun Bill coming under attack from deceitful forces within our own camp. It's almost unbelievable seeing misguided gun owners working with gun grabbers to kill this bill. But at the end of the day we're committed 100% to protecting and enhancing the Second Amendment rights of Iowans, and that means we'll take on anyone that seeks to block our efforts.

Whether you're a billionaire nanny state 1%'er, or a crooked sleazy lobbyist who's been caught bribing Iowa politicians, it makes no difference to us, we'll continue to do what we do better than anyone else, and that's protect and enhance the Second Amendment rights of all Iowans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Beat me to it
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish I could be inside the mind of Dorr while he tries to piece together some damage control. Iowa's gun groups on FB are on fire tonight, and it's all bad for IGO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...Iowa's gun groups on FB are on fire tonight, and it's all bad for IGO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#17]
He is only trying to control the message in his own little realm.  We have known IGO was garbage for a while.  Even at the beginning of the year I couldn't believe the number of people they had running booths for them at gun shows just raking in money.  He will control the narrative on his facebook page ensuring that it shows a record of dozens of gun owners cheering on the hard work he is doing and he will continue to pump out fear mongering emails because the whole gimmick is about grabbing scared gun owners and squeezing pennies out of them while they remain ignorant.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#18]
It's amazing how when the truth gets out there on outlets they can't control, it's virtually indefensible.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's amazing how when the truth gets out there on outlets they can't control, it's virtually indefensible.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant!
View Quote

Yup. make sure you talk about how IGO is run by Aaron Dorr, and Aaron Dorr's involvement with the Sorenson federal election funding fraud and legislative ethics violations case.

I read the trial exhibits, and Aaron Dorr's emails about taking money for election support are very clearly in there. The actual allocution and signed plea refer to "person A", "person B", but those match up very easily with the exhibits if you take an hour to read through them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Latest BS hot off the press:

To continue where they cut off the wording with an ellipsis:

"for the circumstances described in subsection 2,
38 paragraph “b”, “c”, “d”, or “e”."

Oh, so it's not unlimited like they seem to claim?  This database ALREADY EXISTS and is kept by the commissioner of DPS.  It just isn't available to law enforcement.  This bill makes it available to law enforcement.  Which as discussed before, will also help increase recognition of Iowa's permit with other states.

But Aaron Dorr doesn't deal in facts, he deals in fear.  And a LEO being able to verify that you didn't make your permit in your basement isn't very scary.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
^^ almost all the comments on that post are already calling bull shit.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
these guys are sickening...

you better spread the word all over the facebook gun groups, forums, etc.

we're at risk of losing our legislation because of these guys and people are being swindled...  this is bullshit
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
these guys are sickening...

you better spread the word all over the facebook gun groups, forums, etc.

we're at risk of losing our legislation because of these guys and people are being swindled...  this is bullshit
View Quote

Agree, I cannot believe what Dorr is pedaling to make another buck of two.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Newest facebook page "The truth about Iowa Gun Owners "

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually contemplating this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It exists right now and they are on a roll, tearing IGO to shreds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you post a link to that in FB? I can't seem to find it.

I wish I would have realized how crooked this group was. Will not be renewing membership at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wish I would have realized how crooked this group was. Will not be renewing membership at all.
View Quote

The Truth About IGO

There you go, also whomever did this, awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Truth About IGO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Truth About IGO

EDIT: PAGE ADDRESS CHANGED SLIGHTLY: https://www.facebook.com/trueiowagunowners

Everyone needs to go and "Invite" all of their even-moderately-interested friends to the facebook group/page.  center left of the facebook page, hit "invite" for anyone you know that might care at all. Grassroots.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I expect to be banned from the IGO facebook page in a couple minutes. Seems to be his M.O. Someone doesn't drink the kool aid, they get banned.
\
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I expect to be banned from the IGO facebook page in a couple minutes. Seems to be his M.O. Someone doesn't drink the kool aid, they get banned.
\
View Quote

posted a firemission in GD.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1739413_.html&page=1&anc=53106068#i53106068
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
\

posted a firemission in GD.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1739413_.html&page=1&anc=53106068#i53106068

thank you!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#34]
TTT
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys, we need some positive comments on this article.  Keep it respectful and factual.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/new-lies-being-spread-about-iowas-omnibus-gun-bill
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Let's not resort to ad-hominum attacks. plenty of other stuff IGO does that is horrible, and it sounds like there is a lot more (or less) to this specific story than is being reported.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top