Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/9/2004 5:16:02 PM EDT
I'm getting my CCW soon and I'd like to know what the class is like. What do they go over and what will be required of me? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Every county is different.

Mine was a one day, three hour course. Group discussion and instruction that covered many topics. A two page multiple choice test with all the answers reviewed shortly before taking. No range time.

The sherrif's office tries hard to see you get a permit in this county. They want you to be safe and responsible, but they try to make it easy to exercise your rights.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The one I took 12 years ago consisted of a 6 hour class and written test afterwards (multiple choice).  It also consisted of a shooting qualification that was the same as the LEO's shot.  I scored a 99 on the written and a 100 on the range test.  Unfortunately, I have since moved to a county where CCWs are rarely issued...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
MadProfessor,
Are you a professor at a University here in Iowa? I would guess not U of I since it is almost impossible to get a CCW permit in Iowa City. Are you at UNI or ISU?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
MadProfessor,
Are you a professor at a University here in Iowa? I would guess not U of I since it is almost impossible to get a CCW permit in Iowa City. Are you at UNI or ISU?

Nope. Just picked that nickname out of the blue

Just turned 21 today and was wondering.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I know someone who just went through the class last month. From what I understand, some counties allow the Polk Co. sherrif to issue permits to their residents with prior approval from the Sherrif of the county that person resides in. Take an eight hour class on a Sat. at the range. Part lecture, and part hands on instruction. The lecture part is on the Iowa Chapter 724 code and safe firarm handling.This includes both written, and firing line test during the latter part of the class. Depending on class size, and the time, how well you do on the firing line, you may need to return to the range on Sun. to shoot a quallifier. At the end of the class, you will recieve two certificates, one is an NRA cert. along with a folder that contains a form signed by the instructor. You take this to the Sherrif's office to apply for your CCW. The class is set up for success, not failure, so don't sweat it. Would be good to target practice/ break in the pistol that you're going to use before hand. Semi autos need to be 9mm or larger, revolvers need to be .38 or larger. You'll need to take ear and eye protection, 100 rounds of factory ammo, and a lunch. I would not recomend using a single action for the class, unless you're rather profeicent with it , as the firing test is timed you need to fire six rounds in eight seconds or less with them inside the eight ring. If you use a double action pistol, then that it how you fire the first round of each set. The instructors are nice, down-to-earth family people, not mean nasty drill instructors. If the post is too long somebody let me know, I'll shorten it. All the best, Binford.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey binford can you explain the shooting test a little more??  From how far, size of target, etc....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Just took the class, it was cake

If you have half a brain you can pass that test.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Linn County.  I guess I'll hope Fizer gets elected and then see if the CCW issue requirements change.  I'm not about to tie up $500 in cash just to carry a concealed weapon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I just might have to move to Linn county for a month to get it there if i cant get it in Cedar

ETA scratch that Fiser lost
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top