Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2017 9:22:10 PM EDT
Is there ever going to be an Iowa get together like there used to be in years past? If I remember correctly guys would meet at Okoboji grill back in the day. Just curious as I've never really met anyone one from the forum.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there ever going to be an Iowa get together like there used to be in years past? If I remember correctly guys would meet at Okoboji grill back in the day. Just curious as I've never really met anyone one from the forum.
View Quote

I'd be in.  I met quite a few good folks back when we used to do that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Set it up op. I'm sure fatdrunkandstupid would come out as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
42nd and University seems to be the home corner for a lot of us. I'd say Godfathers, or Jethros would be a good location.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Set it up op. I'm sure fatdrunkandstupid would come out as well.
View Quote
He might, Altoona isn't too far for him to travel to Des Moines.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
We had one few years ago at Jethros BBQ in altoona was a fun night meeting everyone. Now I am further away but would still consider traveling for it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Im in
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
We'll have to figure some dates that would work and then narrow it down from there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We had one few years ago at Jethros BBQ in altoona was a fun night meeting everyone. Now I am further away but would still consider traveling for it.
View Quote
I'd be in for splitting gas if it worked out with a day off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Eastern IA reporting in... I ain't driving for Godfather's.... Jethro's? Now we're talking.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Depending on the date of the event, I'm in.  May I humbly suggest Fawn's (Asian food) near Lutheran Hospital in Des Moines.  Otherwise, Jethro's is good too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
count me in if date/time works.

no preference for vittles, i eats em all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Eastern IA reporting in... I ain't driving for Godfather's.... Jethro's? Now we're talking.
View Quote
I thought you were up north?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Jethros works for me as well. Are we talking the original Drake location or somewhere else?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ain't walking across the street for Godfathers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought you were up north?
View Quote
Cedar Rapids.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I would be up for it
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I would be up for it. Also I would throw Smokey D's out there. It's right off the interstate and their BBQ is way better than Jethros IMO. Jethros has better wings, but nobody can touch Smokey D's burnt ends....
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in, depending on specific date.  Wife may be in class, which leaves me with 2 nutty little boys that like to fight each other.  

Goodsons so I can walk from home 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm in, depending on specific date.  Wife may be in class, which leaves me with 2 nutty little boys that like to fight each other.  

View Quote
I have the same issue. The wife works a lot of weekends. I have 2 to take care of as well.

I figure after reading up on Compass' thread we could do it sometime after May 1st. Give them time to acclimate to Iowa life and then meet some new people in a strange land.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
No joke man, you have some of the most well behaved kids that come in my store. No bullshit.

Of course, me and my brother were pretty good in public when we were young, but fucking terrors at home.

Aaron, owner of Goodsons, has that new pizza place just across the corner. If we do a get together there, he has some crazy fucking hot pizza challenge. I'll make an ass out of myself and attempt it. He told me he couldn't even finish 2 of the 4 slices, and that was not even following the 15 minute time limit he has on the challenge.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Just remembered I tried getting something together in the Wells Fargo area last year-was planning on going down to get pictures of the osprey nest, weather was uncooperative on all my days off. Planning to try that again this season.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the same issue. The wife works a lot of weekends. I have 2 to take care of as well.

I figure after reading up on Compass' thread we could do it sometime after May 1st. Give them time to acclimate to Iowa life and then meet some new people in a strange land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just remembered I tried getting something together in the Wells Fargo area last year-was planning on going down to get pictures of the osprey nest, weather was uncooperative on all my days off. Planning to try that again this season.
View Quote
Fuck yeah! I'm still down on any Friday or Sunday to come meet up for that!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fuck yeah! I'm still down on any Friday or Sunday to come meet up for that!
View Quote
Planning to do my best to make it this season, IIRC they lay their eggs just before the eagles in Decorah start exercising their wings so there's plenty of time to kick ideas around. Any other interested members will be welcome and I'll have at least one extra camera, possibly two extras that will do the job. I kind of found out location of that nest late in the season last year.

Sister in law just bought a house in Des Moines, hoping to take a weekend off and go see her, and add the nest trip to the weekend. If it works out, spend some time at the nest for pics, then eat somewhere close. Will definitely post dates and details. If we go for a weekend we'll have two days to hope for good weather instead of one "weather permitting I'm coming tomorrow" day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Planning to do my best to make it this season, IIRC they lay their eggs just before the eagles in Decorah start exercising their wings so there's plenty of time to kick ideas around. Any other interested members will be welcome and I'll have at least one extra camera, possibly two extras that will do the job. I kind of found out location of that nest late in the season last year.

Sister in law just bought a house in Des Moines, hoping to take a weekend off and go see her, and add the nest trip to the weekend. If it works out, spend some time at the nest for pics, then eat somewhere close. Will definitely post dates and details. If we go for a weekend we'll have two days to hope for good weather instead of one "weather permitting I'm coming tomorrow" day.
View Quote
I'm guessing since the nest is on a light pole, the building that burned didn't fuck with the nest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm guessing since the nest is on a light pole, the building that burned didn't fuck with the nest.
View Quote
Didn't know a building burned-I did look recently and the webcam is up, but no birds on the nest yet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Fire inside the building, you can't see anything from the outside.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
giggity
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
giggity
View Quote
I haven't seen you post in a while. I thought about looking you up to cerakote my 870 but need some more funds firsr.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I might be in, depending on the date.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Count me in, depending on date and time.  Been awhile since I've seen a few of you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Count me in, depending on date and time.  Been awhile since I've seen a few of you.
View Quote
No doubt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No joke man, you have some of the most well behaved kids that come in my store. No bullshit.

Of course, me and my brother were pretty good in public when we were young, but fucking terrors at home.

Aaron, owner of Goodsons, has that new pizza place just across the corner. If we do a get together there, he has some crazy fucking hot pizza challenge. I'll make an ass out of myself and attempt it. He told me he couldn't even finish 2 of the 4 slices, and that was not even following the 15 minute time limit he has on the challenge.
View Quote
Thank you 

They are usually pretty good.  But goddamned if they don't try my patience sometimes.  The pizza is pretty good IMO - used to be Jersey Guys IIRC.  Maybe it was Jersey Brothers, IDK.  

Either way, I'd like to do a get together for sure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Have been checking the Wells Fargo osprey cam, the adults have shown up on the nest. Hoping to have things work out somewhere around a week after any eggs hatch.

Of course, for anyone who wants to drive NE for a meetup and photos, the Decorah eagle nest is a great palace too. I'm within 45 minutes and have 4 other nests that I know of within 15 miles. Shit, I'd be up for a run to Decorah with a couple carloads and light my grill in the backyard afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't even see this ya that would work if everything lines up
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I haven't seen you post in a while. I thought about looking you up to cerakote my 870 but need some more funds firsr.
View Quote
pretty buried in work, but i'll make time.  ;)
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#37]
so did booger or somebody set a date and time for this?

were you guys wanting to meet and eat together or meet and shoot?  if you want to use my range out here, i'll host.  if you'd rather meet in town that's cool too.  hadn't done an arfcom gathering out here at the shop in a few years.  reckon we're due if that interests folks.  otherwise, pick a time and place and we'll make it go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#38]
If it ends up at your place, I'll bring along a smoked butt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I can always put together some food as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm okay with an Arfcom potluck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds good for pot-luck. Dibs on bringing baked beans.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I would be interested.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I would be interested in potluck range day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like a good time.  Let's pick a date.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds like an ARFcom potluck range day will work out for everyone, Septic is a great host and Yammers pork butt is to die for.  I'll check with Septic on his availability for May/June as this is a busy time of the year for him.
View Quote
Sounds great. Get some dates and times. IM me and I can add a pole.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#47]
booger and strongarm both stood in my shop the day before yesterday with arms folded staring daggers at me until i checked my calendar for some dates.  i tossed out some for july, and the tension eased.

stay tuned.  it sounds like booger will consult the war dept. and advise...  
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds good. I have a very busy July but I can probably make something work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
booger and strongarm both stood in my shop the day before yesterday with arms folded staring daggers at me until i checked my calendar for some dates.  i tossed out some for july, and the tension eased.

stay tuned.  it sounds like booger will consult the war dept. and advise...  
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I make it to something like that I can bring a .45-70 handgun for anyone interested to try. I cast for it so ammo is cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top