Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:09:05 PM EDT
I currently have optimum online. At $49 a month I feel thats a complete rip off. Is there anything else out there that provides cable internet access on Long Island?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
i know the feeling...but I had verizon DSL at one point because I hate cablevision so much, but in all honesty, the DSL was just a very poor ISP.. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that I know of right now.  Optonline is the fastest and best service right now.  DSL is a pain in the ass and slower.  Verizon is coming out with a new service in the next year or so.  They are upgrading their lines to fiber.  They will offer cable service and a new high speed service.  The isp service will be about 2-3x faster than cablevision.  So right now SOL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Verizon FIOS is available in parts of LI already.  You should call 888 GET FIOS to see if it's in your area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Verizon FIOS is available in parts of LI already.  You should call 888 GET FIOS to see if it's in your area.

Really? Is that really better than cable? On their website it says get speeds up to 15mbs, My cable modem with optimum now says between 36-54mps. Is this right? Seems like cablevision has a monopoly on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seems like cablevision has a monopoly on the whole thing.

BINGO!

I can't wait for Verizon to get a foot in the door.

Cablevision is fighting them every step of the way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seems like cablevision has a monopoly on the whole thing.

BINGO!

I can't wait for Verizon to get a foot in the door.

Cablevision is fighting them every step of the way.

Yea its BS! Why does cablevision get to control the whole island? Their service sucks,  My premium channels went out 3 times in the last week for about 2 hours. I talked to people at work and they had the same problem. I then call them and they tell my that there must be a problem with the wiring in my house. I then tell them that atleast 4 people I work with, who all live in different towns experienced the same problem. So I think theirs something wrong with your service. She then says "No, I just checked everything here is fine, your wiring must be wrong" Thats nice. Blame their screw up on the wiring in my house which they installed.  I am going to switch to Direct TV very soon. I can get more channels than I am getting now for $45 cheaper a month!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Look into Optimum's complete package. I pay $107.52 monthly.  Includes the internet service,phone service(unlimited talk w/ longdistance) and cable sevice ( HBO &  STARZ).  Add up how much you pay for those services seperatley, might be cheaper as a package.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Response to BigB.....if you worry about dropped channels, dont get satellite. I had it, chnaged it to cable. Everytime a bad storm comes over the island,even bad cloud cover, all your channels go down. And if you have a HI-DEF tv, the box isn't free like cable,,,,they charge like $400 for it. Yes, you own the equipment so it seems cheaper, but is it?  My 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The HD box is free if you get the DISH network.
I had Cablevision when I was living in LI.  The channels weren't clear.   I now have direcTV and the channels are much clearer.  As for storms knoking out your signal, it does happen but not as much as you think.  

Quoted:
Response to BigB.....if you worry about dropped channels, dont get satellite. I had it, chnaged it to cable. Everytime a bad storm comes over the island,even bad cloud cover, all your channels go down. And if you have a HI-DEF tv, the box isn't free like cable,,,,they charge like $400 for it. Yes, you own the equipment so it seems cheaper, but is it?  My 2 cents

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top