Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:25:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:39:58 PM EDT
Yeah. I have to replace mine! Stupid boat...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:05:04 PM EDT
Selling Pre-ban Tannerite!

I hope I don't see this going downhill for us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:26:25 PM EDT
Dayum and here I thought Arizona was a cool state....Peta guess you better gets us another group buy on the stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 7:25:20 AM EDT by munkalido]
It's binary... two parts. You could put 10 pounds of the stuff in your oven at 500 degrees and nothing would happen that wouldn’t happen to a turkey. Try that with 10 gallons of gasoline. Make gas illegal because someone may put it in a bottle, add a wick and throw it at a car

ETA:
WHY IS TANNERITE LEGAL? Answer: Manufacturing is a commerce issue governed by the feds. Page 58 CFR 5400.7 General Q&A Section, new edition: #36. When is a Federal manufacturing license required? "A manufacturer's license is needed ONLY by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing explosives materials for SALE, DISTRIBUTION, or for BUSINESS use. For example, persons engaged in the business of providing a blasting service using explosives of their own manufacture would be required to have a license. Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, NON-commercial use would not need a license."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:23:44 AM EDT
Intertesting thread. Does anyone know OR's laws on fireworks / explosives?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:01:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 1:03:02 PM EDT by YANKEEFAN]

Originally Posted By Hartmann:
Intertesting thread. Does anyone know OR's laws on fireworks / explosives?

Ask and ye shall receive. From Oregon Revised Statutes - Ch. 480

480.110 Definitions for Oregon Fireworks Law. For the purposes of ORS 480.110 to 480.165, which sections may be cited as the Oregon Fireworks Law, and unless otherwise required by the context:

(1) “Fireworks” means any combustible or explosive composition or substance, or any combination of such compositions or substances, or any other article which was prepared for the purpose of providing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation, and includes blank cartridges or toy cannons in which explosives are used, balloons which require fire underneath to propel the same, firecrackers, torpedoes, skyrockets, Roman candles, bombs, rockets, wheels, colored fires, fountains, mines, serpents or any other article of like construction or any article containing any explosive or inflammable compound, or any tablets or other device containing any explosive substances or inflammable compound; but does not include:

(a) Sparklers, toy pistol paper caps, toy pistols, toy canes, toy guns or other devices in which paper caps containing :NULL..25 grains or less of explosive compound are used, and when, the rate of burning and the explosive force of the materials in such devices are not greater than an equivalent weight of F.F.F.G. black powder, and when such devices are so constructed that the hand cannot come in contact with the cap when in place for explosion, and the major explosive force is contained or dispelled within the housing or shell of the device, there is no visible flame during discharge, there is no flaming or smoldering of any of the components or parts of the device after discharge, and the device does not produce sufficient heat to readily ignite combustible materials upon which the device may be placed. The sale and use of such devices shall be permitted at all times.

(b) Snakes or similar smoke-producing material containing not more than 100 grains of combustible substances when there is no visible flame during discharge, there is no after smoldering, and the devices do not produce sufficient heat to readily ignite combustible materials upon which the devices may be placed. The sale and use of such devices shall be permitted at all times.

(c) Model rockets and model rocket motors designed for the purpose of propelling recoverable aero models. The sale and use of such devices shall be permitted at all times.

(d) Those items described in ORS 480.127 (4).

(2) “Fire protection district” means any district created under the laws of Oregon or the United States, including rural fire protection districts and any federal, state or private forest patrol areas.

(3) For purposes of this section “sparklers” means materials of a character that will, when ignited, sparkle without throwing or dropping hot residue capable of igniting combustible materials, attached to a wire or other noncombustible central support, with such materials arranged in a cylindrical shape not more than 10 inches in length nor more than one-quarter inch in diameter and which shall not burn more rapidly than one inch in 10 seconds, but not including materials incased within a container of any character. “Explosive substance” or “explosive mixture” as used in this section shall mean any substance so arranged as to burn in less than one second. “Combustible substance” shall mean any substance so arranged as to burn in more than one second. [Amended by 1967 c.417 §23; 1981 c.635 §1; 1983 c.788 §5]

MANUFACTURE, SALE, POSSESSION AND TRANSFER OF EXPLOSIVES

480.200 Definitions for ORS 480.200 to 480.290. As used in ORS 480.200 to 480.290 unless the context requires otherwise:

(1) “Certificate of possession” means a certificate issued under ORS 480.235 by the State Fire Marshal to applicants who have met the requirements of ORS 480.200 to 480.290.

(2) “Certificate of registration” means a certificate of registration issued under ORS 480.244 by the State Fire Marshal for an explosives magazine.

(3) “Explosive” means a chemical compound, mixture or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord and igniters, but excludes fireworks, as defined in ORS 480.110 (1), black powder, smokeless powder, small arms ammunition, small arms ammunition primers and fertilizer, as defined in ORS 633.311.

(4) “Issuing authority” means the State Fire Marshal or an assistant appointed by the State Fire Marshal under ORS 480.280 (2).

(5) “Magazine” means an approved facility for the storage of explosives.

(6) “Small arms ammunition” means a shotgun, rifle, pistol or revolver cartridge.

(7) “Small arms ammunition primers” means small percussion-sensitive explosive charges encased in a cup and used to ignite propellant powder. [1971 c.518 §1; 1983 c.100 §3; 1999 c.980 §1; 2001 c.914 §26]

It reads a lot like the Arizona law.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:35:05 PM EDT
Yankeefan: thanks.

As I read it as a non-lawyer type, it could be classified as a firework or an explosive (or both)?

Are fireworks legal in OR?

Or maybe look into getting a "Certificate of possession".... I know back in FL, farmers used to have permission to have dynamite to blast out tree roots, etc. I wonder if there is something like that here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:36:18 PM EDT
Fireworks which do not emitt bigger then 4ft flames are legal. Firecrakers are illegal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:49:43 PM EDT
Grrr... there goes my chance at getting a flamethrower... would be classified as a firework with over 4ft. flames and therefore illegal! Nevermind it's practical purposes such as roasting marshmallows and keeping pipes warm in winter... geez, ruins all the fun...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:03:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
Fireworks which do not emitt bigger then 4ft flames are legal. Firecrakers are illegal.

Also if I am not mistaken Oregon has outlawed any "fireworks" that shoot into the air.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT
I use this rule of thumb for fireworks... If it is fun it's not legal.... If kids can't have bottle rocket battles, what's the good of even being a kid.... sheesh... I guess they can stick to the ole BB gun fights.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 8:03:40 PM EDT by spambo]
IMHO, the fastest way to make Tannerite illegal is invite the Portland TV/Oregonian/Radio media
(excluding Lars)scum to one of our shoots. Ginny Budick, my Senator, would start a new
crusade against suppressors, full auto and tannerite.

Back to the subject, is it legal? Evidently, so far.

Why don't we ask the Tillamook County Deputy who checked us out at Brown's Camp?
You guy should have seen the look on his face when that dog house blew.
He says "WHAT WAS THAT! I'd better have a look around".

Since the *police*didn't arrest or cite any of us. It MUST BE LEGAL.

My uneducated, redneck point of view,

Spambo
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spambo:

Spambo

And that is why I like you. Thinkin on my level!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:00:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:02:03 PM EDT
Buy it cheap, stack it deep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:36:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

Originally Posted By spambo:

Spambo

And that is why I like you. Thinkin on my level!

Even this yuppie agrees.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:07:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
[Spambo for GOVERNER!!!!!

It's really too bad that this is going around, wonder if it's hurting or boosting Tannerite's business?

Yeah, cause the AWB really hurt AR sales...*

If there was word of an impending ban, Tanner would have to put his life aside and make boom-boom 24-7 to keep up with demand.

LE dude: "Uh, sir, why are you still selling that stuff? It's going to be illegal in a few days.

Tanner: "Well, they're gonna have to use it up real fast now, aren't they?"

Go read "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken. There is this great exchange in a gun-shop where the ATF character just goes ballistic when he sees that all the semi-autos had been sold a week before a total ban goes in effect. "Why would people buy guns that they will have to turn in the next week?"

* I heard that more AR type rifles were sold during the ten years the ban was in effect than in the previous 40 years since the rifle had been introduced.
Top Top