Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 3:53:37 AM EDT
Here are some interesting facts about machineguns in NYS:

- In 2000, NYS ranked 21st in number of machineguns, with 4,642 registered with ATF.  Presumably almost all of them are in the hands of law enforcement agencies.  California had 14,326.

- NYS apparently has only five machine gun manufacturers/dealers.  Can we name them all?  I can think of two individuals but have no idea who the other three are.

Source: The Documents of the Enemy
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always found it interesting that the states with the most stringent anti-gun laws were among the highest producers of firearms.
Out of all those registered machineguns, how many were used in crimes?
274,959....well that's all they know about.
As for Phil's question on who the manufactureres are: I have no idea. Many, most, of us sheeple believe that we can't have machineguns in any way shape or form, that there only "issued" to police or soldiers out of arms rooms.
The way I read the law: Any person serving in the military could legally aquire and own a full auto (don't know about afterwards when he gets out) same with LEO's) Has the NFA of '34 been modified? additional statues added?
Can you imagin the panic from the folks at VPC if mere Army privates started calling Bushmaster with thier credit cards and ordering M16's? How about FN: "Uuh, yes sir, I'd like to order a M249 squad automatic weapon and a tri-pod....."  
Sorry for the tangent, injustice always gets me
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
One day I'd love to put together a machine shop and get (MG) manufacturer's and dealer's FFL's and just build all of the funky space-gun idea's I've accumulated/CAD'ed until then. Preferably on a large plot of land upstate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
As of 12/5/2005, I came up with the following totals for New York.  Hard to believe that only 5 are SOTs.

(1,967) - Type 01 - DEALER IN FIREARMS
(19) - Type 02 - PAWNBROKER
(0) - Type 03 - COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS
(0) - Type 06 - MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
(36) - Type 07 - MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS
(26) - Type 08 - IMPORTER OF FIREARMS / AMMUNITION
(0) - Type 09 - DEALER IN DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
(2) - Type 10 - MANUFACTURER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
(2) - Type 11 - IMPORTER OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
(2,052) TOTAL LICENSEES (+ or - 18, due to a file conversion problem)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I find it hard to believe too.  Aren't there any gun manufacturers left that are SOTs?  Like Remington maybe?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Numrich, the makers of the Thompson SMG, are located in West Hurley, NY.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Kahr bought out Auto Ordnance from Numrich and moved it to Worcester, MA a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As of 12/5/2005, I came up with the following totals for New York.  Hard to believe that only 5 are SOTs.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

The figures listed above are in-accurate. I know of several 03 holders and I'm reasionabe sure there are 06 holders in NYS.
Know why there are so few "Pawnbrokers" in NY? Because they're considered a "banking institute" by NYS. The NY application is almost 2,000 pages long. (This according to a friend, and 15 year owner/operator of a gunshop, who recieved the application packet with intentions of opening a Pawn Shop).
Remember: There are lies, damn lies, and stastics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Those figures were downloaded back in December from ATF's website.  18 FFL #s didn't come through correctly.  I'll try another download later.

ETA: Okay. the figures are about the same.  I guess the 03, 06 and 09 aren't listed.  I still can't import them into excel correctly.  Go HERE for the file if interested.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WTF?  Nobody in NYS has a C&R liscense???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top