Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 6:29:04 PM EDT
Not too surprising, but, this is the dialog I had with the reporter who authored the biased article for the RedStar.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1405/4216107.html

<<<begin>>>
>>Chuck,
>>
>>That was some of the poorest reporting ever on >>what is going on in WI.
>>
>>Obviously, you have never been to "Packer >>Land" to even talk to folks over there who are >>not politicians or on the gubmint payroll. >>Otherwise, you would have heard a very >>different point of view. If you have, I can >>only imagine why you refused to add those >>comments to your article.
>>
>>Your opening paragraph is some of the worst >>"news with a view" and sensationalism coming >>from the MST.
>>
>>But, that is what readers have come to expect >>from your paper.
>>
>>A seasoned reporter interested in the facts >>would interview more than just the folks who >>live at the capital and talk to folks who >>actually pay their taxes to see what they have >>to say. I know this is asking alot.
>>
>>Please, keep on writing articles like this. >>Folks who disagree with you save them and use >>them as examples of media bias and unethical >>journalism. (as if anyone at the MST knows >>what "ethics" means today)
>>
>>Warmest Regards,
>
>...
>I don't understand your criticism.
>Advocates of both sides on the gun bill had >ample opportunity to make
>their case.
>Chuck Haga
>Star Tribune
>
On Nov. 17th, 2003, you wrote for the StarTribune:
"Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, author of the conceal-and-carry gun law just passed by the Wisconsin Legislature, can't wait to start packing heat -- even with Gov. Jim Doyle promising a veto."

This is known as sensationalism. Did you bother to ask Sen. Zien if he "can't wait to start packing heat"?

To quote Webster's Dictionary:
"the use or effect of sensational subject matter or treatment"

Your response that "both sides on the gun bill had ample opportunity to make their case" leads one to conclude that you only took time to research one perspective. Were you even there in WI. during the discussion or see the group of supporters (and detractors, for that matter) who provided facts and recent statistics on how passage of CCW in other states have had a positive effect on crime?

I guess readers can just come to know you as the Jayson Blair of Minnesota.

<<<end>>>
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Just an update.

A number of other folks, including people from Sen. Zien's office have called on the RedStar to investigate this as media bias issue.

Supposedly, the RedStar has an "department" that handles these concerns. One has to wonder, though, if it is the responsilibity of that dept. to investigate, or to PROMOTE bias in its "reporters".

There is absolutely no ethics in journalism today. "You lead with what bleeds" is the only thing taught in the workplace.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good work!  Keep hassling the red star tribune!

It's really sad the way the current media is so incredibly messed up, and biased...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top