Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 9:57:43 AM EDT
I watched this today and wanted to pass it along.  Very cool test.  

Looks like one suppressor could cover me for most of my guns.

Osprey Multi Caliber Test
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet video and test. That is my next NFA purchase from you. What do the extra pistons cost?

-Chris
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's keep the discussion on the Osprey and it's ability to be used on multiple guns of different calibers.  I do not want this to be mistaken as an ad

I have not seen any other 45 suppressors that have that much reduction even on a 40 or 9mm plus they will cycle on the smaller caliber guns.  Many people have been waiting for just such a suppressor.

These numbers are great for a dry suppressor but the wet numbers are even more impressive.  I don't think I will be shooting wet very often with the kind of numbers they are getting dry.

Chris, we can talk more on the pistons next week when you come by.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
This shows what brand recognition does to people, I had never heard of the Osprey silencer company, so when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be some internal Army video testing the V22 tilt-rotor's ability to survive enemy fire.  I thought "Multi-caliber test, hmm, I bet it does decently against everything but 12.7 DSHK and that insane 14.2mm caliber..."

LOL

But back on topic, can Ospery sell one can with multiple adapters without running afoul of BATFE's new ruling, as long as the adapters don't include a booster assembly?  How are silencer manufacturers dancing around that pesky ruling these days?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice, it has me thinking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
It is all depends on how the ATF feels when they are reviewing the mount/piston.

YHM ended up using a two piece thread mount on their M2 Cobra suppressors.  To change threads you just remove the internal threaded mount and replace it with another thread mount.  This leaves you with two place for the thread to come unthreaded when you are shooting.  They have large wrench flats at the end of the mount which allows you to torque it down enough to keep it from backing off.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool video! Please forgive a noobie question. Why is the first shot louder than the rest? Actually appears that they get quieter as they shoot. I didn't check the numbers, just my impression. But for sure, the first shot was louder.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
So basically with that system you can buy two suppressors.

1 osprey multiple caliber Suppressor for pistol calibers. 1 30 caliber suppressor for rifles? Seems a good ways to equip yourself and save.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool video! Please forgive a noobie question. Why is the first shot louder than the rest? Actually appears that they get quieter as they shoot. I didn't check the numbers, just my impression. But for sure, the first shot was louder.

Brian

This is known as the "first round pop" that is commonly heard with suppressors. I am sure that someone who is much more savvy than I will explain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

This is known as the "first round pop" that is commonly heard with suppressors. I am sure that someone who is much more savvy than I will explain.

The first round pop is when you shoot your first shot and it is louder than then follow up shots due to the burning of the oxygen that is in the air inside the suppressor.  The suppressor will fill up with smoke from the burnt powder on the first shot so there will be much less oxygen to burn on the follow up shots which makes them much quieter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah So! Thanx.

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top