Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 10:43:57 AM EDT
Im looking for a .223/5.56 rifle.

Preferably a straight pull AR15.

I want to be able to use it for general target work out to 600m and Practical rifle should i get the chance to be able to do this in the future. To start off with i will be using Surplus or factory ammo, I may start reloading at a later date.

my list so far is

ACOG sight
Target/Match - jewel trigger
Straight pull, flat top (no carryin handle) AR15
Side cocking handle
Bipod attachment
Bipod

Question is what am i missing?
What barrel twist is probably best?
Where do I buy?

Matt
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im looking for a .223/5.56 rifle.

Preferably a straight pull AR15.

I want to be able to use it for general target work out to 600m and Practical rifle should i get the chance to be able to do this in the future. To start off with i will be using Surplus or factory ammo, I may start reloading at a later date.

my list so far is

ACOG sight  If you want to do PR you might need a variable Leupold or S&B for general plinking and SR then an acog of a type matched to the rifle you buy
Target/Match - jewel trigger  not essential very LOW priority
Straight pull, flat top (no carryin handle) AR15 good
Side cocking handle not essential you can get one added later
Bipod attachment
Bipod

Question is what am i missing?   Q, What stock? A. standard A2 to start with
What barrel twist is probably best? 1:9 minimum, if you want to shoot 77gr then 1:8 or 1:7 for surplus you will also need a 5.56mm chamber not a target variation You also have to choose between 16" / 18" or 20" barrel length based on your desire for 600m
Where do I buy? Who ever gives the best deal! I got a Beast of Bodmin standard no frills  at all 1:9 A2 new for £750, I suspect the prices have gone up a bit by now! However, don't get talked into buying stuff you don't need yet, get good with the basic rifle first
Matt

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
As a wise man, or is that Wiesman once said, AR's are kwikfit kits, so anyone can build them.
Some people can even build them to "last 1000 years".

There are too many choices, but if you really want a rifle, then a std one for starters will do.

All this "I want a rifle for PR" etc is bollocks and all you will do is spend too much on something that you might not even enjoy or excel at.

If you really are interested, get a basic rifle and an intermediate scope and spend your extra money on ammo and range fees.

Practise, practise and practise some more, and you will find as you do all this practising, what you like and dislike about your set-up and what needs changing and what doesn't.

Don't waste your money on an "all singing and dancing" rifle. If you're just getting into it, you won't do it justice.

I seriously mean this.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If you keep this up, you will be taking an early shower, sorry bath

Practise, practise and practise some more, and you will find as you do all this practising, what you like and dislike about your set-up and what needs changing and what doesn't.

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot several AR15 (or varient) rifles over the years and like there feel. I have also seen and been to a few of the shoots at Beckingham over the last few years, although not had the chance to compete as been doing the behind the scenes stuff (targets etc). What I meant by if i get the chance is, assuming i can find somone to switch/share jobs with at any Beckingham events. And that I can get to any of the further away competitions as i dont yet drive. Other wise the rifle will get used for target work at 100-300m and ETR at all ranges.  

Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top