Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/1/2003 7:59:02 AM EDT
Hi to all of you Ohio gun owners.  There is a possibility that I might be moving to Ohio, from Michigan.  

I am planning on checking into the gun laws, but I was wondering if anybody could give me a headsup on specific laws I should be aware of?  I am an IPSC limited shooter and a newly addicted AR lover.  Plus, I like to deer hunt and bird hunt.  

If I move, I will be taking all of the firearms I own that are used in the above sports/activities.  I'm really used to MI laws, which aren't too bad, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

p.s. My wife is looking for a different job so I'm trying to check into the laws where we might end up.  Don't worry, I've already ruled out the really bad places, ie Kali, most of New England and so on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Watertower...basically all of the gun laws in ohio are located in the Ohio Revised Code section 2923 onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC  They are probably fairly similar to Michigan's laws.  As for hunting in Ohio...no rifles allowed for deer; you are only allowed to use shotgun, blackpowder, and any type of bow.  All of the hunting and fishing regs can be located at the Ohio division of wildlife www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/default.htm  Oh and if you didn't know...no ccw in ohio right now.  Hopefully that changes soon. Hope that helps

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
ccfps,
Thanks for the links.  I have been kind of following the CCW fight in Ohio.  Hopefully something will be passed soon.  As we found in Michigan, get what you can to start and then improve on it once people see CCW isn't a bad thing.

No deer hunting with a rifle is like a kick in the nuts.  Does Ohio still have the no hunting on Sundays law?  
Thanks again,
Scott

Edited to add:  The laws I'm really concerned with are those that might restrict me from bringing any firearms into the State or the restrictions on full-cap mags.  Anything here I need to worry about?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
30 round mags are legal in Ohio. Only exceptions to this are in the city limits of select downtown areas such as Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati. They also prohibit "assault weapons"..... well unless you're a criminal. Maybe the CCW will change the climate in these areas when something is passed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
They also prohibit "assault weapons"

What do you mean by they?  As in you can't own an "assault weapon" in the city limits?  Please clarify this for me.
Thanks
Scott

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It means exactly that in the cities of Cleveland, columbus and cincinnati.  Also, any centerfire semi auto with more than a 30 round mag must be an NFA registered machine gun.  In other words, standard capacity mags are ok, but high caps are a no no.  No beta C mags and no Drums and no 40 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The wimpy Ohio Supreme Court struck down the "assualt weapons" laws of Columbus, Cincy, and Cleveland.  Not an issue.  Not that anyone would want to live inside the city limits of these places.

You can have magazines of any size, including Beta-C and AK drums in Ohio, there are no restrictions.  However, if you stick more than 31 rounds into a weapon in Ohio it's a machinegun under state law at least until you shoot enough rounds to get it down to 31 or less.  That includes belts in crank powered semiautomatic Brownings.  No one apparently cares, though, as you'll witness at Bulletfest.  Rob a liquor store with a Beta-C, though.....

Deer are almost tame in Ohio, it's a shame to shoot them at all.  Shotgun is more than adequate.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Chuck,
Thanks for jumping in there.  I was almost ready to add Ohio to my list of banned States.  As with most gun laws, I don't see any sense in the fact that a gun with more than 31 rounds is a machine gun.  Some legislators are so stupid.

Thanks for the info guys.  I will do some more research, but at least you have put my mind at ease on a few things.
Scott
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top