Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/17/2013 8:00:17 PM EDT
Thinking about moving to Alice, TX from the hated "Liberal Northeast" of New Hampshire. I grew up in PA but got to TX as fast as I could, the wife wanted to give the Northeast a try being a life long TX girl and we bot agree TX was better. An opportunity to move back to TX may be forthcoming but we don't know much about the area. What say you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:38:21 PM EDT
Hold off moving there until October. That's when the leaves change color in Alice, and it's spectacular!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:43:49 PM EDT
Perfect !!! Awesome place.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2013 4:13:16 AM EDT by Skibane]
Honestly, the place doesn't have a lot to recommend it.

It's a smallish Texas oil town. The coast is a pretty short drive away - and that's pretty much it for entertainment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:24:53 AM EDT
The City Data website leads me to believe there is a high rate of theft and burglary. Anyone that lives there tell me if that is so?

We are looking for a smallish TX town, my family is not city folk. Honestly, I'd prefer the Hill Country but a transfer to the Alice area is about all I'm gonna get anytime soon.

Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:07:07 AM EDT
Whites are the minority there. When out in public you are more likely to hear people speaking Spanish than English. I have not lived there but total combined have probably spent over a year there working. I did not notice any high crime rates out of the norm. They were always making huge drug busts on the highway just out of town.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:28:34 AM EDT
I have not been there lately but Alice has always been a dump. Corpus is close enough to not get bored but man, Alice, eeek. Falfurrias is a little worse than that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:49:02 AM EDT
With the Eagle Ford oil & gas boom, I would expect housing to be scarce and relatively expensive. In most towns along that play, trailer parks are springing up almost overnight, and are just about the only housing available.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:13:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By geegee:
Hold off moving there until October. That's when the leaves change color in Alice, and it's spectacular!

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:59:18 PM EDT
Mario's meat market FTW!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:14:09 AM EDT
Copper Cantina, Sluggers and Revolution for the easy women.
Top Top