Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 3:24:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The sad thing is the margins on Airsoft are better than the margins on Colts and other new firearms.

Used firearms, like used cars, you can make some money. 10% on a $1k new rifle that sits on a shelf for six months is not good money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I talked to a gunsmith that used to do work for Bernies around 10 years back He said back then, the ATF would come in for an inspection, and would leave many, many citations regarding bookkeeping issues. The agents would tell Bernie they'd be back in 6 months or so, no big deal, no suspended sales or anything, just take care of the problems. After 9/11, and the "sniper" issues up north, the ATF was cracking down and this same smith had a three day inspection from an agent and the smith hardly sells guns-mostly just does smith work.

One of the citations the smith got was where a buyer printed his name on the 4473, he'd written his name illegibly, so the smith wrote clearly above the buyer so that it could be read.

So, I feel for Bernie and them for getting caught up in red tape with the ATF.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You guys around the metro area probably know about Bernie's Sporting Goods over in Lilburn.  Well, I dropped by there today just to see how the place has changed.  It has changed for sure.  

For you guys that don't know about Bernie's, I'll roll back the clock a few months and describe the place.

Bernie's is located in a fairly large stand alone building.  When you walk in the door, there is a huge section to your immediate right with about 30 different safes.  Very nice selection at good prices.  Dead ahead is the big wall of holsters, belts and hats.  To the left is the hunting camo clothing, tree stands and other hunting gear.  On the far left behind the clothing is the start of the gun counter.  Bernie has all kinds of cool toys at very good prices (for the most part).

Imagine a wall of (DSA and other good quality) FALs, RRA, Armalite & Bushy ARs, AR-30s, AR-50s, H&K stuff, Steyr bolt actions, Steyr bulpups (whatever is the semi-auto version of the AUG), AKs, SKS, various bolt guns, etc.  Very cool toys.  He's also got a very nice selection of handguns.  Kimbers, Berettas, Springfields, Colts, Sigs, H&Ks, Walthers, S&W, etc.  

They carried Aimpoints, EOTechs, ARMS mounts and some other optic stuff that few other stores in the metro area stock.

All the way in the back right (behind the holsters) for maybe 20% of the store, is the military surplus stuff.

Well, fast forward to today.  No guns at all.  In their place is AIRSOFT stuff.  All the military surplus stuff is piled in the middle of the store and in that back right part of the shop now stands an indoor IPSC range.  

I had heard Bernie lost his FFL, but it was truly a sad sight to behold.  He still had a handful of AR uppers and barrels left.  A single Aimpoint and maybe an EOThingy or two remain.  Safes are still there and at good prices.  I guess it was just weird seeing all the firearms replaced by airsoft.

I think what really struck me as sad, if a bit humorous, was the "firearm training" sign near the "IPSC" range.  

Sure hope Bernie does okay with the airsoft business.  I truly wish him well.  He does still have awesome safes and some other stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if today was my last visit to Bernie's.  Maybe the reason I'm so bummed out by this is because I bought my first AR from Maria (Bernie's daughter ).  Couple months later I got my FAL from them as well.  

(No, ARH, Maria was not at the store today.)

Now, ask me about the cool SureFire stuff I got at Bullseye.  

That hurts my inner harmony.

ARH

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Selling firearms is not a industry that rewards poor paperwork. Especially in the current environment. He made his own bed.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't Maria still married?  I do miss them both.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Isn't Maria still married?  I do miss them both.  

Both her boobs, or Maria and her sister?  

(BTW, yes, Maria is married.)

C: All of the above

Ask me something difficult next time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Maria probably spends a good amount of time now up at her husband's place, Ted's Pro Music, in Gainesville.  Ted is a cool guy, and he comes down to Music Go Round, where I work, every now and then.  Maria's little sister, now THAT's a good looking young lady.  I've known Maria from her dad's store for a while, but came to find that we have mutual friends and connections.  I've never had the pleasure of talking with the next youngest sister.  I thought I remembered TWO younger sisters, but I could be wrong.  Filipino women in general are hot as balls.  We need a Flip Women thread.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

are hot as balls.

This ain't that kind of party, mister.    
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Bernie has 4 daughters, with Maria being the oldest. Not sure of the other 3's names. I think the youngest is 8 or 9? Still a sad case what happened with the FFL deal.

GlockSpeed31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top