Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/30/2008 5:14:10 PM EST
In the past 3 months I have visited many gun stores in central and northern Indiana, I have had good and bad experiences with them and just thought I would share them with everyone. If you have store reviews of your own please feel free to add to my list. If I happen to make a negative comment about your shop please take it as constructive criticism and improve your customer service and knowledge of the industry because a few of you are slacking sorry.

21st Century Firearms Bluffton, Indiana

I called this shop looking for lower receivers the owner answered the phone and was very accommodating and pleasant to speak with, he had several Double Star lowers and was willing to hold a few for me until I arrived which was hours later. While I was there even though he was busy he took the time to talk to me and answer some class III questions that I had. Because of the level of service I received I will be buying two suppressors from him in a few weeks. These people are very knowledgeable and seem to go out of their way to provide the level of service I expect.

McDonald's Guns Marion, Indiana

I have been dealing with Jeff McDonald for many years and there is nothing better that going to his shop for a little R&R. This shop always has a great inventory and you are always welcome to pull up a stool, light up a cigarette, and bitch about the anti gunners. Make no doubt about it Jeff is in business to make money and very little is done for free, however why would it be. Jeffs prices are very fair also but allot of times on the higher side of the median. McDonald's guns is a great shot and I recommend that if you are in the area stop by and check it out.

2nd Amendment Guns Whites town, Indiana

I visited the shop today on my lunch break and all I can say is WOWWWW this guy is off of his rocker. I walk into this guys shop wearing a pistol a badge, handcuffs and a spare mag, it was very obvious to anyone I an a LEO. The first thing he says to me is and I quote "Have you seen the new cop killer I'm carrying" then he pulls out the pistol he is carrying a FN 5.7 and commences to talk about how it will defeat armor. Then he stated that if anyone in his shop picks up a gun while reaching in their pocket he would pull his "57" and put it to their head in fear they would have ammo for the gun and try to load it. Now I shrugged all this off as a guy just talking shit and I asked him if he had any lowers or AR's in stock and he shows me a neutered Bushmaster and says that it is very rare and thus very valuable because it did not have a flash hider. I just chuckled and asked him how much he wanted for it and he said the rifle and 900 rounds of winchester 55 grain for 1900.00. I just looked at him and said wow this must be a really rare Bushmaster, and he went on about how he has never seen one in this configuration. finally I asked him if he had any .223 bulk ammo and he tried to sell me a case of Fiocchi for 480.00. I just bought a box of ammo for 26.00 laughed and said have a great day and l left the store. 2nd amendment for this you sir you Fail.

Midwest Gun Exchange Mishawaka, Indiana.

I went to this store last week and bought a RRA Entry Tactical for 1100.00 NIB which with the current buying frenzy was not that bad of a price, some RRA LPK's for 69.00 and seven P mags for 19.99 each. Customer service I feel was really good once the guy realized I had a wad of cash in my pocket. Midwest has a great facility and an even better inventory of guns. I do however feel that their class III service needs to be improved. I was planning on buying a Gemtec can for one of my shorty builds while I was there but their process is as follows pay for the silencer, give them a copy of your drivers license fill out some papers and wait for them to mail you the paperwork to take to your CLEO and send to the BATF. If they could have sent me home with the paperwork that day they would have sold me a new 800.00 can. I would give these guys a 7 out of ten and will do more business with them in the future. Sig .557 pistol in my future?

Bobs Pawn Shop Kokomo, Indiana

This is a really small shop located in Kokomo Indiana, the owner is a class II manufacturer and is a dealer in all the expensive "fun" stuff. I stopped in there on my way home from work to look around and spent about two hours shooting the shit with the guy, he showed me a few suppressors and because of the way he treated me ended up selling me a .22 can and a really nice YHM .556 can "soon as he receives them on a form 3". This shop has your typical pawn shop inventory of older guns but its real magic is the class III stuff he handles. Real good people to deal with and I would suggest them for all your NFA transfers.

Bullseye Outdoors Kokomo, Indiana.

I have been dealing with this shop for a while and they are a bunch of good guys, the shop is small but it does have a nice indoor range with reasonable range time prices. Robbys inventory is not what it used to be since he has downsized the shop but his selection of handguns is real nice. Ive done allot of trading with this guy sometimes I get raped, sometimes I rape him, it all evens out in the end. I would give this shop a solid 7 out of 10 and would recommend it for if nothing else the indoor range.

Well thats all for now I will be visiting several other shops in the area real soon and if this post goes well I will update it with my findings.

Link Posted: 12/30/2008 6:47:45 PM EST
You should have stopped by granger guns when you were at midwest. He has an RRA on the wall very similar to the one you bought at midwest for 950 ish (the only ar now). Not much of a BS'er though so you might not like him. He is generally noticeably cheaper than midwest. Midwest does have a ton of stock though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 8:39:19 PM EST
Second on Granger guns . Just a lil hole in the wall er I mean BASEMENT . But he is honest and fair .

Midwest just moved to the new building . MAn that place is like going to a Gander mtn or something .
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 4:18:19 AM EST
I have to say Bradis in Camby is a good place to deal with, always friendly and helpful and decent prices, at least prior to the election when I was last there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:10:48 AM EST
ACME in Seymour has done right by on several purchases - a couple of which have been C3. Clint and Joe are great to deal with there. Very helpful.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:38:44 PM EST
I tell you what though, if you ever make it down south to Washinton then you should check out Underhills guns. Stay away from Conners over in Bedford though, poor customer service and they act like your a burden if you don't buy something in the first two minutes of being there
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 2:00:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By navy84:
I tell you what though, if you ever make it down south to Washinton then you should check out Underhills guns. Stay away from Cosner's over in Bedford though, poor customer service and they act like your a burden if you don't buy something in the first two minutes of being there

Corrected.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 7:09:10 AM EST
I just wanted to add one more to the list that I visited today, Lafayette Guns and Gear. This is a smaller shop mainly geared towards law enforcement. LG&G is a Stag and Rock River Arms dealer but due to the current buying frenzy they only had on Stag my style AR in stock. They did however state that they will be receiving a few more rifles from Stag very soon. The staff who I assume are also the owners were very friendly and seemed to be very knowledgeable. I would recommend this store to anyone in the Lafayette area, and I plan to do business with them in the future if something in their shop catches my eye.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:18:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By rcoers:
ACME in Seymour has done right by on several purchases - a couple of which have been C3. Clint and Joe are great to deal with there. Very helpful.

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:40:50 AM EST
Also check out Jeff in Scottsburg... if you rub his belly he'll give you a free piece of candy too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 9:53:56 AM EST
I just stopped in at ACME Sports in Seymour. They had 10 AR's on the wall, average $1K each. Some Bushys and some Colts. I was looking for ammo, and while they had it, it was marked up way higher than I can get it from MCSports. Over $.50 a rd for .223/1000 rds. UMC, and over $.25/1000 rds Wolf 7.62x39.

Nice little shop though. Wish we had one similar in Bloomington.

Fair prices on guns, but ammo was off the wall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 12:53:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 12:55:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 2:40:20 PM EST
buck- have you heard anymore about when you will be getting more cans in?
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:03:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
Originally Posted By 360:
I just stopped in at ACME Sports in Seymour. They had 10 AR's on the wall, average $1K each. Some Bushys and some Colts. I was looking for ammo, and while they had it, it was marked up way higher than I can get it from MCSports. Over $.50 a rd for .223/1000 rds. UMC, and over $.25/1000 rds Wolf 7.62x39.

Wolf 7.62x39 is not over $.25/round. It is actually a couple cents less. We just recently raised our price from $209/case to $229/case when our cost went to over $200/case.

The Remington UMC that you saw was 45-grain JHP. Dealer cost on it is $114.45/200 rounds. This price is quoted from page 106 from the JSC Distributor catalog. Hell, I don't want to lose money on the stuff

Thanks a lot for stopping by. I wish you would have introduced yourself as I'm always willing to shake hands and talk guns with anyone....especially fellow ARFCOMMERs

On the ammo, I was figuring tax in on the equation. MCSports sells the UMC .223 for $90 200 rds. I have been buying the Wolf online for $240 shipped. Your price on the Wolf was fair considering the market, and I damn near bought it. That's why I stood there in front of it for so long.

You guys were a little busy while I was there, and nobody spoke to me, so I beat it on out and headed up to check out Atterbury Shooting Range before it got dark. I wasn't knocking your store. I was rather impressed that you weren't trying to play the high pricing game. Most everything you had was priced at what I could go to the 1500 and buy it for, maybe even a bit less. I will come back when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:07:29 PM EST

Wolf 7.62x39 is not over $.25/round. It is actually a couple cents less. We just recently raised our price from $209/case to $229/case when our cost went to over $200/case.

The Remington UMC that you saw was 45-grain JHP. Dealer cost on it is $114.45/200 rounds. This price is quoted from page 106 from the JSC Distributor catalog. Hell, I don't want to lose money on the stuff

Thanks a lot for stopping by. I wish you would have introduced yourself as I'm always willing to shake hands and talk guns with anyone....especially fellow ARFCOMMERs

On the ammo, I was figuring tax in on the equation. MCSports sells the UMC .223 for $90 200 rds. I have been buying the Wolf online for $240 shipped. Your price on the Wolf was fair considering the market, and I damn near bought it. That's why I stood there in front of it for so long.

You guys were a little busy while I was there, and nobody spoke to me, so I beat it on out and headed up to check out Atterbury Shooting Range before it got dark. I wasn't knocking your store. I was rather impressed that you weren't trying to play the high pricing game. Most everything you had was priced at what I could go to the 1500 and buy it for, maybe even a bit less. I will come back when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Atterbury? You should have hit crowsley in North Vernon if you were in Seymour already. Free shooting and a 200yard range
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:21:51 PM EST
I didn't shoot. I just drove over and looked around. I took a piss on the road just a ways down it. The damn bathrooms were locked, and after a 24 oz Coke and Big Mouth Mountain Dew, I my eyeballs were floating. I was just waiting on someone from the base to stop and see what I was doing.

I don't know where any ranges are around here. We shoot on private property. I almost prefer that way because we can take all kinds of crap to shoot at, and not be limited to paper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:44:57 PM EST
I didn't shoot. I just drove over and looked around. I took a piss on the road just a ways down it. The damn bathrooms were locked, and after a 24 oz Coke and Big Mouth Mountain Dew, I my eyeballs were floating. I was just waiting on someone from the base to stop and see what I was doing.

I don't know where any ranges are around here. We shoot on private property. I almost prefer that way because we can take all kinds of crap to shoot at, and not be limited to paper.

Oh shit! You got some private property in monroe county? hook me up!

The only place to really shoot around here was hoosier national park but apparently they frown on target shooting now. Some people shoot at the rock quary, but I'd rather not get a trespassing charge.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 6:24:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By coltaceguy:

Some people shoot at the rock quary, but I'd rather not get a trespassing charge.
Now that's just asking for a trip downtown, and loss of whatever you are carrying at your time of pickup.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 7:09:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By r6vr6:
You should have stopped by granger guns when you were at midwest. He has an RRA on the wall very similar to the one you bought at midwest for 950 ish (the only ar now). Not much of a BS'er though so you might not like him. He is generally noticeably cheaper than midwest. Midwest does have a ton of stock though.

+1 for Granger Guns

Steve is a cool guy who actually hunts and shoots. He has never had a huge stock of black rifles, but his prices are the best around.

He had new G19s he was selling for $459, Midwest was selling used G19s for the same price.

$20 for a transfer and he doesn't try to make you feel like a POS for not buying from him.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:50:15 PM EST
+1 for 21 Century Firearms in Bluffton
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:45:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:
Also check out Jeff in Scottsburg... if you rub his belly he'll give you a free piece of candy too.

I will have to ask him about that next time I drop in there

Worked for me.......Twice
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:13:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:38:34 PM EST
If ya didn't stop by Grainger Guns then ya may as well not stopped in St. Joe County,IN. Period
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 4:03:24 PM EST

Whatever... Every time I'm in there you give dirty looks and say mean stuff.

Not really. ACME is probably my favorite gun shop. Great guys to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:26:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By sporter:
Originally Posted By rcoers:

Yup.

Great guys to work with and do business with. I'm a happy customer I've bought several guns and a little bit of ammo there, and been in many more times just to look around and shoot the breeze.

Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:53:37 PM EST
Clint @ ACME did my SBR paperwork on a rifle I didn't even buy from him, and when I tried to offer up a little $$ for his trouble, he refused.

I may not buy a LOT, but whatever I decide to buy in the future will most likely come from ACME.

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:45:11 PM EST
I'd highly recommend Applied Ballistics in Lafayette, not a huge stock but Stan is a great guy to deal with, especially for C3 stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 1:31:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By ReSSurrected:
Clint @ ACME did my SBR paperwork on a rifle I didn't even buy from him, and when I tried to offer up a little $$ for his trouble, he refused.

I may not buy a LOT, but whatever I decide to buy in the future will most likely come from ACME.

I have heard Clint is a great guy to deal with, although I have not purchased anything from him.... yet. I know he's a nice guy, he let me shoot his M16 and Barrett this past MG shoot.

I hope to be getting in touch with him after the taxman cometh and gives me back my interest free money he is using.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 3:44:23 PM EST
+1 for Clint and ACME:

I have never been into ACME, but Clint has taken my parts orders by email and over the phone.... all have been great transactions, parts as described and shipped fast. Prices were great and I have confidence buying sight unseen...

+1 for Bradis

Lisa took in trade some NIB ammo that I had and installed new night sights on my old Glock 17. Swapped even, installed as I waited.... Im always treated right at Bradis.

Thanks all,
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 9:30:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist:
I'd highly recommend Applied Ballistics in Lafayette, not a huge stock but Stan is a great guy to deal with, especially for C3 stuff.

+1.

Good prices on FFL transfers too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 9:23:20 AM EST
I stopped by Bloomfield Arms today, but they were closed. They maintain odd hours, something like 5-8 M-F and 11-5 on Saturday. Anybody been there, and what are their prices like? I would have been looking for ammo (7.62x39, .223, .40, .357 Magnum)
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 9:43:56 AM EST
I stopped by Bloomfield Arms today, but they were closed. They maintain odd hours, something like 5-8 M-F and 11-5 on Saturday. Anybody been there, and what are their prices like? I would have been looking for ammo (7.62x39, .223, .40, .357 Magnum)

Pretty sure the guy that runs that works fulltime and runs it in his spare time. I ran into him once at Traildust, I believe his name was Ryan. True Patriot

Link Posted: 1/13/2009 4:31:16 PM EST
Sorry I wasn't open when you stopped by. Yes I work a day job so my hours are in the evening I'm only closed on Wed. and Sun. I have always worked during day and most shops where closed when I would get off work, so not being able to get to a shop when they were open I decided to open my own. My shop is the working guys shop (not that you don't work ) but my intentions and the shop hours are worked around my schedule and those that have jobs like mine or little days off. I'm working on trying to get someone to come in during the day but that might take awhile.
I'm a Type-07 FFL and will getting my 02 this year. I do repair mainly on Mil type guns and builds as well. My hours are 5:30pm-9:30pm M,T,TH, 5PM-9PM FRI, and 11am-5pm SAT. I try to keep my prices reasonable but in some cases I can't replace whats on the shelf unless I raise the price.
My thing is the FAL and AK's I have 4 AK builds I'm doing at the moment and 2 FAL's as well as 2 AR's. I had a good stock of parts when I opened but since the election I have sold a lot of my AR parts. Presently I'm trying to build my parts and receiver inventory back up but as you now that is a little difficult at this time.
I'm glad you did stop by and please do when I'm open.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 5:42:56 PM EST
OK, thanks for the reply man. I was working today when I passed thru Bloomfield, and I remembered someone here mentioning your shop, so I looked around as I drove thru and stopped to check your store out. I live in Bloomington, so getting there after work would be difficult during the week, but I may stop in some Saturday if I am down that way again. It's nice to see that surrounding areas can have gun stores, but the stupid leaders of Bloomington like to run them out. I wish you luck and hope you can build it into a nice stop!
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 5:29:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 3:10:42 PM EST
I stopped by Applied Ballistics today and I am glad I did, this shop will more than likely move to my #1 shop. I really enjoyed my hour long chat with the owner he is a hell of a nice guy. While I was there the owner twisted my arm behind my back and torqued on my thumb until I agreed to buy a YHM Mite .22 LR Can A+++++ for this shop, I can see lots of business comming their way very soom
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 4:58:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2009 5:00:56 PM EST by Dave_H]
Originally posted by DSmall:
I stopped by Applied Ballistics today...

Where is that shop located?

Never mind. I should learn to read some of the previous posts before asking a dumb question.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 6:29:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 10:11:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By WILSON:
Crap! I met an ARFCOMER out in front of Midwest (on Grape Street) a week or two ago for a FTF. Several members have told me to stop by Grainger Guns, but I forgot all about it!

Of course Clint is my "gold standard" for FFL's,... and I've never even been in Acme.

Wilson, next time you are in town you better give me a call.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 4:06:48 PM EST
+1 Acme

Picked up my LCP today. Great shop! Long drive for me from Fishers but worth it.

Thanks Clint!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:00:12 PM EST
Anyone any experience with ZX Guns in Goshen? I bought a Lancer magazine from them at the Indy 1500, emailed them for some other mags and got a reply after a number of days (already put in an order elsewhere) telling me to call to order and not much else.

Just seemed a little short and rude for addressing a potential customer; I mean a "please call" would have been nice.

anyway, any feedback is appreciated.

Okki
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 7:30:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:21:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:12:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Okki:
Anyone any experience with ZX Guns in Goshen? I bought a Lancer magazine from them at the Indy 1500, emailed them for some other mags and got a reply after a number of days (already put in an order elsewhere) telling me to call to order and not much else.

Just seemed a little short and rude for addressing a potential customer; I mean a "please call" would have been nice.

Okki

I've dealt with them a few times, but only at shows. I know what you mean; I wouldn't call them rude, but they are a little rough around the edges. Their prices made up for it though (not sure if that's still the case).
My last purchase from them was at a complete NIB DPMS lower with an A-2 stock for $179 (I only begged a little!=). For that price, I can abide a little bitching & grumbling (actually they grumbled at each other - one of 'em gave me a $219 price, then his partner(?) sold it to me for $179).

ZX could sell a lot more guns if they returned people calls. I called for quotes and left a few messages on their answering machine, but never a call back.

Their prices were great, but I haven't checked them out lately.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:07:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2009 2:08:59 PM EST by stoyan79]
ZX are good to deal with, purchased many guns from them. Their prices are usually the best at the shows they attend. The owner is a young fellow (looks late 20s) told me that their goal is to do volume at little profit, which I believe. Usually their table is all surrounded by people, and I have seen a lane for the 4470s.

The selection on their tables is always excellent, especially handguns and black rifles.

On the last show I saw them (early January) they had DPMS ARs starting at $680 and DPMS lowers @ $145. As I said, their prices are always very low.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 5:38:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By akethan:
Originally Posted By Okki:

Okki

I've dealt with them a few times, but only at shows. I know what you mean; I wouldn't call them rude, but they are a little rough around the edges. Their prices made up for it though (not sure if that's still the case).
My last purchase from them was at a complete NIB DPMS lower with an A-2 stock for $179 (I only begged a little!=). For that price, I can abide a little bitching & grumbling (actually they grumbled at each other - one of 'em gave me a $219 price, then his partner(?) sold it to me for $179).

ZX could sell a lot more guns if they returned people calls. I called for quotes and left a few messages on their answering machine, but never a call back.

Their prices were great, but I haven't checked them out lately.

I called them 3 times yesterday and never even got an answering machine to leave a message with. Will try again today at lunch...
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 10:41:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2009 10:44:06 AM EST by Ghostface]
Originally Posted By DSmall:

McDonald's Guns Marion, Indiana

I have been dealing with Jeff McDonald for many years and there is nothing better that going to his shop for a little R&R. This shop always has a great inventory and you are always welcome to pull up a stool, light up a cigarette, and bitch about the anti gunners. Make no doubt about it Jeff is in business to make money and very little is done for free, however why would it be. Jeffs prices are very fair also but allot of times on the higher side of the median. McDonald's guns is a great shot and I recommend that if you are in the area stop by and check it out.

I agree with your comments on the other gunshops but McDonald's sucks! The have a good selection of reloading stuff, ammo and most of the times guns but I refuse to deal with them. They sell used guns at new gun prices! I don't mind paying the owner but I don't want to feel like everytime I buy something I am sending them on a vacation or paying for the kid's college. They would have me as a customer for life if they were fair on their prices. I only go in there when I need small parts or if I ran out of something while reloading. It's hard for me to do but I hold my nose when I walk in there. Jeff and his old man are nice people but they are way too high on things. I can get powder about $10.00 cheaper per can if I go to Down By the Tracks in Galveston. I often deal with J&S Enterprise just outside of Van Buren. It's a small shop but he can get you just about anything. Nice guy with great prices...
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:34:09 PM EST
I really tried to do business with Midwest today and it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 4:45:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By maxcoen:
+1 Acme

Picked up my LCP today. Great shop! Long drive for me from Fishers but worth it.

Thanks Clint!

Kevin,

I'm sorry I was a little late getting there, and then we were busy when I did make it and didn't get much of a chance to talk with you.

I hope that LCP makes you a great little carry gun.

Take care and thanks for the business.

No problem. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 1:53:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By akethan:
I really tried to do business with Midwest today and it didn't happen.

Details?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top