Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:48:01 PM EDT
Well finally made it after the second trip.....some of the worst 4 wheel drive roads in the USA.
Enjoy.

Indian Petroglpyhs
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice OT. Here is a pic of some A friend and I found. These were more carvings than paintings. I dont have a clue how old they are or if they are authentic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
crapshoot, thats a cool one...the ones I took photos of are scratchs not paintings...maybe I misidentified them (hiroglpyhs, petroglyps???) It took a long time to get them as deep as they were. Some of these things up at the cliffs are huge. To be only about 7 total miles off paved road its amazing how desolate and in the middle of no where you are. This palce has more rock art than anywhere else in the US.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm, by worst 4x4 roads, do you actually mean, best 4x4 roads?  Looking at some of the pictures of the road it resembles more of a scenic trail ride.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
crapshoot, thats a cool one...the ones I took photos of are scratchs not paintings...maybe I misidentified them (hiroglpyhs, petroglyps???) It took a long time to get them as deep as they were. Some of these things up at the cliffs are huge. To be only about 7 total miles off paved road its amazing how desolate and in the middle of no where you are. This palce has more rock art than anywhere else in the US.

The place the pic was taken at is between Moapa and the highway to Alamo Nevada. Kinda tucked back in a ways. Lucked onto it by accident. Looked like people had been back in there excavating/robbing the place.  Noticed some bowl type shapes ground into large chunks of rock. Like a morter and pestal (probably spelled that wrong).  Some one had taken the time to bring in alot of straw and plastic sheeting as it was placed under alot of the areas where it looked like people had been digging.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
were at in northern nevada are you kids at? by northern im taking it your around indain springs knowing how must  of ya talk. up here theres some of those damn wagon burners paint marks in a cave about 3 miles away. to bad they wasted there time on painting instead of fighting the white eyes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hmm, by worst 4x4 roads, do you actually mean, best 4x4 roads?  Looking at some of the pictures of the road it resembles more of a scenic trail ride.  

LOL...yeah looks great righ there eh......looks are very decieving. getting to that point was out of this world. 4 1/2 miles of bone wrenching crawl over stones anywhere from the size of a softball to basketball...its the worst. Some places your tilted so far over you think its gonna roll over. Had to remove huge rocks a few times. The last 300 yards to the site you cross the creek twice crawling over huge rocks.....theres a huge tree limb hanging down that gave us just enough space to go under...a few inchs. ive been 4 wheeling quite abit in all types of terrain....this one is the worst by far.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
BeckettOfNevada....Im in Reno. These arent far from Reno....just very well hidden and theres no such thing as a map to them. 12 years ago when I went the roads were very good...now 12 years later there is almost no road in places its so bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
thats cool as shit. usualy anything within 30 miles of reno has people crawling all over it. nice fine man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
hey Bob...very true..assholes would be trying to take shit...at least it would take a hell of crew...eve the small ones wieghed hundreds of pounds pluss and go up to boulder size. I think my wife and I will go back one more time now that we got the route down good...we wanted to spend a couple of hours there but my dad wanted to hit the road. i want to do a little exploring and maybe try an get up to the cliffs so you can see the size of these things and the amount...the cliffs above are still covered in hundreds of drawings. Plus sometime in the near future the BLM is supposed to totaly fence the area off a few miles from them...so walking there is just about out of the question.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
OldTroop, I'm guessing you haven't seen the sheet metal or paint on my bronco?

Off-Road club I am in, Total Karnage, has some pictures on the web at www.totalkarnage.net  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Glen link isnt working for me. The reason the roads are so bad is because of those damn rocks. Its the rockiest ride you can imagine bouncing from side to side in the cab of the truck...that shit wears you out...specially us old guys LOL. Its probably a good thing its the type of road most people want nothing to do with except us old fools, its difinately a fragile area and doesnt need a hell of alot of vandalism.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The group Glenn rides with are the type who carry spare axels and drivelines as well as spare tires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Bob...got it that time. Hey Glen cool photos, Ive been out a few times and had the vehicles at such an angle going up a rock you could walk under the damn thing LOL...Im sure youve done that. yeah like I said what made that damn road so bad is the loose rocks. Miles of no solid ground under you just moving rocks. its a slow damn way to go. But well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
There's some by Moores Station in the Hot Creek Valley in Nye county. You can drive right up to them on a county road. They've been messed with over the years but the real deal is still there.
M
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
They say there are over 2000 petroglyhps in that small canyon. The most in the western United States. Theres a very small amount of defacing done there. Its a bitch to get to and yet so close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top