Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 8:04:01 PM EDT
I just received the permit for another gathering on the 5th of July...

Jim Loveless and the CA wanted to thank everyone for caring for the range...
We are appreciated...

The range is ours from 9am till...

See everyone there...

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Any plan for another "range clean up" day?  Before or after?

Magnets, who got magnets ?

I missed the last shoot.  Had to shoot the AK-SKS match on Sunday at Pioneer range KCMO, so had to spend time with the family on Saturday.  I think I am good for July 5th.

OZ
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Shamus asked the same question in another link???

I'm good for a shoot/clean-up day on either weekend of the 21st or 28th, and on either day Saturday or Sunday...

Just need 24 hrs notice to meet with whoever wants to show...

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]

We (son and I) will try and make it on the 5th. Not sure what the family plans are yet.
As far as range clean up, Sunday is probably going to be better for us. Let me know!

Eric
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My son and I are tentatively planning on attending the 5th.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any plan for another "range clean up" day?  Before or after?

Magnets, who got magnets ?

I missed the last shoot.  Had to shoot the AK-SKS match on Sunday at Pioneer range KCMO, so had to spend time with the family on Saturday.  I think I am good for July 5th.

OZ

Good Idea OZ...  I picture a long bar magnet secured at both ends, so we can "float" it just off the ground...
I'll look around for one... you or someone else do the same...
Went to the range yesterday and the casings are starting to pile up...
I will definitely do a clean/shoot day on the 21st after I return from Dallas...
Then, a repeat clean/inspect on the 28th...
Everyone is free to join in the fun...

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If I recall correctly, brass is non-magnetic?  Except for that pesky Russkie ammo, that is...

Good bow-style rakes should do a better job, methinks.  I'd be glad to drive out on one of my days off, if I knew when I'd have one!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Kpel308,

you are correct sir, the brass is not responsive to magnet.  However, due to the low cost, steel casings seem to be the dominant type found at Finger Lake range.  We can sweep them off the floor, but those darn AKs like to throw their empties forward hence land on the grassy area where our brush/broom would be useless.

oz
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
S'alright.  I'll try to find a good rake, but not TOO good, so I can leave it at the range.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Mousegun & myself worked on the range yesterday...
Thanks Oz!!!

Everybody show up for Independence Day Shoot

Let's get a BIG Group Photo of all of us...

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Guess what:

One of my guys just quit, and we're taking on 270 alarm accounts TOMORROW.  I had asked for the 5th off quite a while ago, but it appears that I am FUBAR.  This is getting to be too much of a regular thing.  Anybody in the STL area need a good worker/supervisor/man-about-town?

DAMMIT
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]

I probably won't make it.  

That is my first weekend off from the academy, so I'll probably have my face buried in books studying.

We shall see.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys,

I was at the Finger Lake range last Saturday (after finishing the range clean-up with Cutter75), I saw 6 guys showed up with a variety of guns, AKs, FAL, Cetme, but no AR.

They were just blasting away having fun.  They also bump-fired their AK quite a bit at the 50 yd and 100 yd lanes.  I could not help noticing that not all their rounds impacted the berm.  Bump-firing is very hard to control.  If you are standing 50 or 100 yards away from the berm, and shooting from your hip, it is very easy to see how a small elevation of your muzzle will be enough to send the bullets over the berm.  So what is over the berm?  Conservation area, woods, trails, etc.  And it is not closed to public access.  What I am trying to say is there may be people beyond the berm, campers, hikers, hunters, what have you.  I know this because I hiked the Rocky Fork area for years.  I did not realize it before until I was up on the hill (you can see it from the firing line, the hill is about 200-300 yards behind the berm) looking up north ... and voila ... there was the shooting range and I could see the backside of the berm from the hill.

I talked to a conservation agent this week when I took my wife shooting there.  He said they are mostly concerned with people destroying stuff and littering the range.  There has been no firearm related death or injury occurred at this range (actually, there was an injury, but it was self inflicted, ask Duke-Nukem if you want to whole story, he saw it happened).  He then said, as soon as there is any fatality or people getting hit by bullets flying over the berm, that's it ... game over, and the Dept. of Conservation may convert the range into a parking lot.  He said that there are a lot of people already trying to shut down the range.  As you know, the Finger Lake State park (to the left of the main access road) is off-limit to firearms.  So, don't enter the State Park if you have your guns with you.  I think some politicians are trying to make the whole Rocky Fork - Finger Lake area to be firearm-free zone.

So, I encourage all of you to reconsider the risk of bump-firing at the next July shoot.  We do not wish to see they close Finger Lake range.  I would recommend all you guys to refrain from bump-firing from the firing line.  If you do want to bump fire, I would suggest to come as close as you can to the berm (10-15 yards or so) and have at it.  The berm there is about 10-12 ft tall.  If you stand 30 ft (10 yd) away from the base of the berm, your bullet will still impact the berm with the muzzle elevation of 20 degree.  That's not a large angle guys.  I can see how easy an AK's muzzle jump at an angle > 20 degree during a bump-firing.

Also, when you hit the ground, at a steep angle, the bullet tends to ricochet off the ground.  And depends on where you hit, the ricocheted bullet may go over the berm. This is more likely to happen with high power rifles.

We have built a good relationship with the MO DoC.  Lets keep it that way, and be as safe as we can be.

No flame intended, safety should be our top priority.

oz
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellant Point, Mousegun87

These shoots are open to any and all people, and I believe we encouraged people to bring friends, and youngsters so they can be exposed to the fun of owning and shooting a gun.

Bump-fire is something they only do at the HUN FARM (1000 acres out in the middle of the pad handle of Texas)...  
Restrict it to private property, not a public range...

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright!  We have another "Safety Nazi!"  Good looking out for us, and for our safety.  I need someone to step forward to take my place as Range Officer on Saturday.  I am definitely NOT going to be able to be at the Independence Day shoot, as I'll be working from 0000-1200 Saturday, 0000-1200 Sunday, and 0000-0800 on Monday.  Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for much shooting, does it?

If anyone is interested, go ahead and say so.  Glen has been busting his butt on this stuff, and should probably be shooting more...

Bueller?  Bueller??
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]
"Safety Nazi" reporting ....  :)

Looks like I wont be able to make the July 5 shoot.  There is a WW-1 era rifle match (the John J. Pershing match) at Pioneer range, Bates city, on Sunday July 6.  So I gotta to choose which one I want to attend.  Doing both will likely send me sleeping in the basement for a few days.  I have been missing a lot of high power matches this year (damned Graduate school!!).  I have a nice (a loaner from my coach) 1903 Springfield begging to be taken out to the match.  In fact, I just finished cleaning it up tonight .... whoa Momma!!  I feel an empty spot in my collection crying for a 1903 Springfield.

So guys, story of my life, I cleaned the range, picked up other people's trash, yet I keep missing the shoot.  You guys have fun and stay safe ....  

oz
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#16]
So who is planning on attending?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So who is planning on attending?  

I think Zack (my son) and I will be there. Thats if the family doesn't change our plans for us.
My brother is coming in from D.C. So there is always the chance that plans could change.

Eric
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course I'll be there...

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Confirmed,  no work, will be there.
Cutter remember to tote my spotting scope along if ya remember.
Any requests for goods from KC?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I might be able to, I will post an update here when I find out. But just in case if anyone has a request for me to bring a specific gun I will see what I can do.
Of course the M1 Garand will be there again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd bring it if I had it...
I'll have to check back on the last shoot posts, but I think someone else (ShakyJake???) may have been who you were thinking of...

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd bring it if I had it...
I'll have to check back on the last shoot posts, but I think someone else (ShakyJake???) may have been who you were thinking of...

Yep, I've got it boys.  99.9% gonna be there.  

I'll have the grill and coolers again also.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh  Jake has it  my bad.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
ShakyJake
I'll bring a package of Brats and a six of Dr. Pepper...

Pitsnipe, Nascar3n8fan, Shamus
ya'll coming???

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll try to make it, if I'm not too tired from the 4th celebrations/parties.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#26]
My son and I are not going to be able to make it.  My Mom called and needs some help with some banking/paperwork stuff.  With tomorrow being a bank holiday the only day left to me is Saturday morning.  Have a great shoot!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#27]
After this mornings behaviour by one-term-bob would it be in bad taste to bring pictures of him?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I missed the May one and I would like to go... one question... where is this range in Columbia?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's a map:

It's 10 miles north of Columbia and 1.5 miles east of Route 63 on Peabody Road.  Continue past the State Park entrance on your left straight on the gravel road.  Make a right onto the gravel road just past the restrooms and parking lot.  If you get to a lake, you've gone too far.

Enjoy!

Believe me, I wish I was there, and not on patrol!!!

BTW:  Please do NOT bring photos of the Governor to shoot.  We're better than that stinking load of feces, and should be professional about it.  Pix of Bin Laden and Company are, of course, more than welcome.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

BTW:  Please do NOT bring photos of the Governor to shoot.  We're better than that stinking load of feces, and should be professional about it.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It crossed my mind, but then thought that it wouldn't be a very tasteful thing to do, especially at a state park.

Thanks for the map!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys,

one suggestion .... how about a name tag?  That way we can put names and faces together.  I know it may look kinda dorky, but it was hard to know who's who with all the excitement on the firing line ....

Have fun guys, I may show up for a short while ... cant stay long, got honeydos that I need to finish so that I can go to a match on Sunday.

oz
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Did youall leave early, or did nobody show?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I left at 12:20 pm...
Was getting awful hot out there...
Think the others stayed for awhile longer...

holeshot4, hotspur, ShakyJake, and I were the only ones there...
at least to start...
holeshot4 had his son, Shaky brought his brother-in-law, and hotspur had a friend with him, so we had a total of (7) @ 10:30 am...

Sorry, we missed you bano...
what time did you arrive???

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#34]
At least I didn't assassinate BaNo's Murder Burgers, this time!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry I didn't make it. My nephew is in town and has to go back to Oklahoma on the 9th. I has promised to spend some time with him and yesterday was my last chance seeing as monday it is back to work for me.
Since the turn out was low can we just blame the heat and schedule another? Or is the MoDCC going to be the future of these meets?
Anyway, wish I could have been there. Next time I will.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I got therre between 2 and 2:30 sometime.

Quoted:
At least I didn't assassinate BaNo's Murder Burgers, this time!

I got my fill of them on the way to bulletfest.
So I'm good for a while.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
So is anyone that rode with you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top