Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:37:52 PM EDT
some wacky news for today...

Man commits suicide outside San Carlos gun store
Bay City News Service

A man who posed as a shopper interested in a weapon at a San Carlos gun shop this morning fatally shot himself outside the store, San Carlos Police Cmdr. Sandra Spagnoli said.

The Redwood City man in his 40s walked into Imbert & Smithers, located at 1144 El Camino Real, asked to look at a gun, then ran outside with the firearm and shot himself.

The San Mateo County Coroner's Office it has not released the identity of the man.

A passerby said that El Camino Real was shut down between Howard and Brittan avenues for some time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:41:39 PM EDT
Did he have some ammo in his pockets? or did he get them from the store too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:34:15 PM EDT
Usually the displaying weapons in the store are empty. How could this guy shoot himself? Unless he brought his own ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:50:39 PM EDT
Sounds like Imbert and Smithers
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:15:43 PM EDT
Follow up to the story posted earlier...

Man posing as gun customer shoots, kills himself in San Carlos
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

(1-24) 1800 PST SAN CARLOS -- A man shot and killed himself outside a San Carlos gun store Tuesday after having posed as a customer and then stealing a weapon, police said.

Timothy Singler, 41, of Redwood City apparently brought ammunition for the weapon with him when he entered Imbert & Smithers Inc. at 1144 El Camino Real at 10:40 a.m., police said.

Singler asked to see a handgun and then ran outside with the weapon and shot himself, police said.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@sfchronicle.com.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:48:08 PM EDT
This is just another good reason for controlled access in a firearms store.

I have a maglock on my inner security door at my gunstore now. No armed bumrush and no dashing out the door and making me chase your butt.

I hope they don't get too much crap for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:40:12 PM EDT
My memory might be Fuzzy, but isn't this the second time this has happened there?

Funny thing Every gun I have purchased has been from there. I like the people and they treat me right.

Pete
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:07:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 9:10:34 PM EDT by blacklisted]
That was real kind of him, he has spared the owners the trouble of cleaning up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:09:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XM15_Owner:
My memory might be Fuzzy, but isn't this the second time this has happened there?

Funny thing Every gun I have purchased has been from there. I like the people and they treat me right.

Pete

Imbert & Smithers sucks ass!!! Maybe they will get shut down for being negligent.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:17:37 PM EDT
It's sad when anyone kills themself, but you've got to admit the guy had his shit together:
go through the ammo pile at home,
pick out just the right caliber,
go to the gun shop, patiently wait your turn,
act interested when the ex-SEAL behind the counter tells you his life story,
act interested when the ex-SEAL tells you you don't want that gun you want this gun,
then try not to laugh your ass off when you see the look on the ex-SEAL's face when you run outside, load the gun and shoot yourself in the head.
RIP dude.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong, don't they remove the firing pins on these guns that are on display? When I went to a gun store in San Jose, they had some sort of device that locks the hammer that prevents buyers from dry firing it. I asked them and they said that it was an insurance requirement thing.
So, I was wondering if this is not an urban legend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:39:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By talbalos:
Sounds like Imbert and Smithers

yup. tabros in millbrae is much better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:29:23 AM EDT
I am just across the bay from there and I dont have to lock up the display guns. NOt while I'm open.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:58:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:31:36 PM EDT
Readytorock,
Why exactly does Imberts suck so bad? I've been there several times and they've been great. Granted their prices are pricey, but what can you expect in the bay area?

About negligence - all the pistols are locked in a case. It wasn't a grab and run type deal. He asked to see the pistol - not sure what self respecting gunstore would say no to that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 4:49:39 PM EDT by readytorock556]
I was just looking at it from a liberal anti-gun prospective. As in the case if a parent leaves a gun out and a kid gets access to it the friggin parent is seriously screwed. That is the angle that I was getting at. We all know in Cali parents are responsible for their kids actions. I was just relating it to this case even though the guy was a 40 year old unstable nut.
My beef with Inbert and Smithers is only that they are friggin elitist assholes. I was in their wanting to see if they would do a transfer on a used rifle I found online, and the jerk behind the counter said that he gets those rifles in new. And their is no need for him to do a transfer on a used gun when I should by it new from him.
The second time I wanted to get a firing pin spring for my 1911, and once aagin the jerk nuts said that I should bring the gun in to have it looked at. I told them I already know whats wrong with it. I just need a spring and to throw in a firing pin along with. I know you guys have some wilson parts cause I bought some mags from ya. The guys reply was that he doesn't have time to look for them and to come back later and see the gunsmith so he can take a look at your pistol. I asked do you even sell parts to customers. The guys response was come back later and see the smith. I told them, I'm sorry I bothered you I 'll go home and order the parts from Midway. God bless transfer dealers and the internet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:29:02 PM EDT
I dont mind doing transfers ;)

I dont even carry many new rifles.. I do alot of special orders and tranfers for long guns.

I send guys to Imbert for the gunsmith. I steel their gun customers ;)

Im waiting paying close attetion to se what kind of fall out this will have.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:05 PM EDT
Readytorock,
roger that - I hear where you are coming from. They tend to be pretty busy so I'm guessing they can pick and choose their customers. Can't really blame them for being defensive about selling their own stuff, but still when they drive people like you away it doesn't help their case. I guess i've been lucky then.

Darnit bigmac, why can't you be closer to me ?!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigMac:

I dont even carry many new rifles.. I do alot of special orders and tranfers for long guns.

BigMac - what city are you in?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tonkaman:

Originally Posted By BigMac:

BigMac - what city are you in?

He is in fremont
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:50:48 AM EDT
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=54044

Murder linked to suicide By Dana Yates
In a bizarre twist to an already mysterious homicide, the grisly discovery of a disabled man slashed to death on his bed in his Foster City home is being linked to a San Carlos suicide a day earlier.

It was confirmed Friday that San Carlos police were called by Foster City police this week for information about the Tuesday suicide of Timothy Singler. The 41-year-old Redwood City resident walked into a San Carlos gun store Tuesday morning asking to see a .357 caliber gun. He ran out of the store with the gun, loaded his own bullets and shot himself on El Camino Real, police said.

A day later, Foster City police discovered 50-year-old Brandon Hepponstall murdered in his house at 897 Lurline Drive. Hepponstall was brutally sliced several times, a source close to the investigation said. It is still unclear exactly when Hepponstall was murdered. Wednesday evening, Foster City police Capt. Jon Froomin said there was evidence to indicate he was dead for some time and was not immediately discovered.

Initial reports indicate there was ample evidence at the crime scene to help investigators. However, police aren’t calling the case closed yet and are waiting for the evidence to be processed. The investigation is ongoing.

“We are not going to jump the gun. We’re going to wait for the evidence and hopefully the evidence will tell the story,” Froomin said.

Hepponstall was a paraplegic who often spent his days betting on horses. Acquaintances of Hepponstall said the last time he was heard from was Sunday. He often places bets at the Pleasanton’s satellite wagering facility at the Alameda County Fairgrounds, which is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Friends discovered him dead when they went to check on him Wednesday afternoon.

There was a broken wear window, but police said there appears to be no signs of forced entry.

Hepponstall’s acquaintances said Singler’s name was not familiar and they couldn’t place him as a regular around Bay Meadows race track in San Mateo.

Hepponstall was a regular at Bay Meadows until 1999 when he was arrested for bring a fake bomb inside. Friends said it was his attempt at a Halloween joke. Management banned him from ever coming back.

Hepponstall had a history of drug use and was said to have enough drugs on him to occasionally sell small amounts. They didn’t describe him as a drug dealer because he had enough money from a personal injury settlement in 1996.

Singler, 41, had a history of run-ins with the law including possession of drugs and brandishing firearms not registered to him.

On Monday, Singler visited Imbert & Smithers Inc. gun shop, located at 1144 El Camino Real. He purchased bullet for a .357 gun. At about 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, Singler visited the store again and asked to see a .357 gun. He had slashed wrists when he entered the store the second time, said San Carlos police Cmdr. Sandra Spagnoli.

Singler had a receipt for the ammunition in his pocket when he shot himself. He did not have drugs on him, Spagnoli said.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:46:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By talbalos:
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=54044

Murder linked to suicide By Dana Yates

On Monday, Singler visited Imbert & Smithers Inc. gun shop, located at 1144 El Camino Real. He purchased bullet for a .357 gun. At about 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, Singler visited the store again and asked to see a .357 gun. He had slashed wrists when he entered the store the second time, said San Carlos police Cmdr. Sandra Spagnoli.

Looks like he didn't get it right the first time...

Remember kids, it's down the road, not across the street...

Top Top